Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

An Inspector Calls-English Literature Exam WJEC

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I saw this question in a past paper:
    'To what extent is 'An Inspector Calls' a good title?'
    What could I say to answer the question?, because all I can think of is that there is an Inspector, who calls, which clearly isn't worth 20 marks.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    All I can say to help you is read into the words more !! Like for instance... Inpector could mean that he is going to find the truth. Which could in turn lead us to believe that the Birling's and Gerald are hiding something You see what I mean ??
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Inspector - connotations, nature of an inspector, question of why an inspector is even involved \Rightarrow mystery/murder/suspense?

An inspector - why is it a solo effort; is there something special about this one inspector?

My two pence at 9:44 in the morning.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    ok i did an inspector calls 7 years ago for my gcse paper:

I got an A* for this paper so might be able to give some shiz.

why is it a good title?: as above, an inspector is somebody who can find out the truth, and this is an incredibly unthruthful family (at least, they are not in the least open to each other at all).

Does the inspector stand for somebody else? Is he a metaphor for a godlike, omnipotent creature, who is always watching the way we act within society?

Is it ironic that he is 'calling' now? This would lead you to question as to why he was now calling despite the fact that he has clearly been aware of this families actions for years. Why is he calling now? What is the tipping point?

Just think outside the box and don't forget to analyse the words in teh title n teh first paragraph.

good luck.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The inspector is not just a policeman (maybe not one at all) but a inspector of this family's attitudes, morals and the wider society in which they live.
    Calls - sounds like a social occasion of 'calling by' but the niceties of the title soon give way to exposing hypocrisy of Victorian society instead. Could probably look at the role of the telephone and the twist in the ending - begins and ends with an inspector calling.
    Obviously you can also examine how it's not a good title.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    What an awful question.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just talk about the character of the inspector and his contribution to the play as a whole. But remember to keep linking what you say to the question.

It's a difficult question, but if you saw it on a past paper, at least that means it won't be on the actual exam this Monday.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Great, thanks everyone :-)

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 19, 2011
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.