The Student Room Group

When Street Charity people approach you in the street asking you for money.......

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Explain I already give to Unicef as they are the only ones around here lately anyway, which I do and got a hug from two guys doing sign ups when I did sign up.

Quite alarming the amount of people who avoid them so much, its only charity I'm not saying you should give but I'm sure most of you spend spare change on utter rubbish so could afford it. I get that charity is up to each person but there is no need to be rude to these people, not like they are coming to your door to annoy you.
Original post by Dekota-XS
No one expects money from a student anyway. Students are eternally broke.

They do. They'd take donations from the homeless if they could.
Reply 62
Original post by lightbulb1
How does it make you feel?

For me It often makes me feel quite awkward and I sometimes try to walk past without stopping but they stand right in front of you forcing you to stop. For example if I had just come out of Argos say for example, and I had just bought a new laptop and I have £7 in change in my hand ready to put into my pocket and then I walk out of the shop, a guy who works for charity comes straight over whilst I still have the last remaining change and asks for money and I cant help but stop as he is blocking my path. I feel awkward saying i cant give him money when he can see i have money in my hand and a brand new laptop but that change in my hand could be for petrol home or lunch.:frown:

When I say sorry maybe next time, they look and give you the sad puppy face:frown:

Remember, this was just an example

any other people feel awkward in these situations?:smile:

I actually used to work as a street fundraiser, well you can't say worked, but I had 1 day there after which I just left it. Too embarrassing and being ignored by the whole nation is just not for me. Standing in the middle of a shopping mall and looking like a fool. I would rather clean toilets in a station than work as a street fundraiser again.

So, when they approach me, I just know the excuses what to say. The just don't say anything again and say "Ok, thank you. Have a good day!" Otherwise I just try to ignore them and walk as far around them as possible.
Reply 63
I just tell them I'm Asian and we don't do charity.

Those with a tin after small change, if they persistently annoy me in an in your face approach I just drop some coins on the floor and tell them they could have it.

Sometimes I get a bit nasty, like once I saw a black guy soliciting for donations, I just told him I never speak to blacks and walked off.

Other times I just tell them they are doing a noble cause but I don't trust their charity and I walk off.

Personally I would never donate to any charity that solicits for donations, I never donate to anything that does not do any public benefit either. Generally donate to Memorial Day funds, Battle of Britain Memorial Flight funds because I like to see Spitfires flying and I will donate to any church I happen to visit.
Reply 64
Original post by lightbulb1
How do you feel?

:smile:

A man? I ignore him.

A woman? I feel like feeling her up so she can earn some pennies. :smile:

I am so good.

God, book me a place in the Heaven! I am being so good.
Reply 65
Yes, it's annoying I always reply to them in Norwegian and pretend not to understand what they're talking about. My sister did a sponsored swim a while ago and she asked me for some money to sponsor her, I gave her a plastic button.
I do give what spare change I can to charity and my family donates quite a bit too.

But it's kinda annoying when people come up to me in the street, I do feel sorry for their causes but I can't support every charity on only £100 a month - I mean, I'm obviously not over 20 so I don't have much disposable income so I don't see why they target me!
I really hate it when they target obviously young people (maybe it's just where I live), when I was younger I got guilt tripped into giving my money for lunch a few times to charities.

I sound mean, but I can't really afford to give money out to the amount of charities which approach me.
Reply 67
I always feel guilty and end up giving them money. They come up to me on the street, stopping me in my path, and the first line they say is "Help dying children with cancer?" and put their bucket forward for me to put money in. I appreciate that it's for charity but sometimes I'm in a rush and need to catch my bus, but they always stop me and I feel rude simply walking past and ignoring them.
Reply 68
I happily put money into collection tins or buckets for charities I know to be genuine (it's sad that you have to check but it's amazing how many are fakes) and I'll buy a Big Issue when I have change.
But I don't do direct debits and I hate having to wind my way through the herd of chuggers in every city centre these days. It makes me feel awkward and irritated because they have no idea what charities I do or don't already donate to and they have no right to judge me for not signing up to a thousand direct debits. I'm also fed up of the door-to-door chuggers guilt tripping me on my doorstep.
They annoy me, because I don't do direct debits with strangers in the street and already support the charities I believe in (RNLI, WaterAid, Cats' Protection), so don't like having to try and avoid these people on my way to a lecture or going home. If I know they're out and about, I go out of my way to take alternative routes. How I deal with those I can't avoid depends on how I'm feeling.

If I'm feeling rushed or just want to get home, I walk past them with a focussed look on my face and treat them as if I think they've accidentally got in my way. If they are really pushy and this is my mood, I'll say I'm seventeen and they go away immediately (good tip for those who look young enough.)

If I'm feeling playful and have the time to spend ****ing with someone's mind, I sometimes try the "I'm deaf and a bad lip-reader, hence making a lot of mistakes" or "I'm foreign and giving my best English a go" act (for that last one, I am a good German speaker) until they give up. It provided some amusement and I feel that's the price they have to pay.

Sometimes, if they're really pushy and I've already been pissed off, I just go mental at them, rant about where they get the 'holier than thou' attitude to bother decent, hard-working people with. That's why the UNICEF people leave me alone.

The one thing you never, ever do? Talk to them - that's how they get you. :ninja:
(edited 12 years ago)
I try to be sneaky and go as far away from them without getting spotted. Or by walking quickly

If it doesn't work, I just tell them I'm 17 :tongue:
Original post by theboilermantr15
I pretend that I'm 14 eventhough I have a beard.

If they ask I make up a really long story about having a genetic disorder which affects my hair growth.

I'm sure there's a charity for that, maybe they'd be interested in donating?
i usually just ignore them
I just say, sure I'll sign up, but I'll do it online when I get home so the charity get the full amount that I donate. Usually annoys them sufficiently to leave me alone.
I once applied to do these charity muggings, most charities offer between £7-£12 to the scalper for every sign up they get! That's up to 4 or 5 months of my donations, with some charities, before the charity ever even see a profit!
Reply 74
If its a random collection, if I've got the change odds are I'll throw a bit of loose change in. If its the debit card people though, I've got it down to a fine art...

Them: You're a good looking guy, do you have a minute?
*My thought process immediately goes "No, I am NOT the kind of guy YOU would find attractive*
Me: Sure, how can I help?
Them: Well I work for the Charity *Insert Charity Here* and I was wondering if I could talk to you for a minute about making a donation?
Me: Sorry, I'm in a rush.
Them: It'll only take a minute *flash of a smile that would get you served in any bar within 30 seconds. I am not a barman*
Me: OK, I'm listening.
*They get out their badge and random bit of paper with information on it*
Them: OK, here's my badge with my name on it and the proof that I'm not on commission
*Interrupting*
Me: I'm really sorry, but you're lying to me. You've just said that you're not on commission. If you don't reach your targets for the week, you get fired. If you exceed your targets for the week, you get a bonus. To me, that is what I would call "Commission." Moreover, you do not work for the charity you just claimed to work for. You work for an association called The Charity Commission. This further implies that you work for commission. Your head office in the area is based *gives exact address*. Your head of department is called *gives full name*. By lying to me about the nature of your work in an attempt to get me to donate money, you have technically committed fraud and put your job at risk. (I'm actually not sure on this, but by this point, they've usually walked away as my voice gets louder).

There were certain advantages to working in the coffee shop in the same building as the Charity Commission.
tell them you just brought a new audi and now theres no way you can afford to throw money away giving to charitys
Was it a Macbook because then there is really no excuse...
Reply 77
I was collecting money last summer outside a football stadium before a match. I was volunteering my time to collect money for a charity that I am quite heavily involved in (it's a small charity). I appreciate that people can sometimes be in a rush or don't want to give money but the amount of abuse I received for "hello, is there any chance you could donate some change to *insert charity name* today?" was horrible.
I didn't block people's way and we were told not to be pushy yet my friend who was there with me ended up in tears after one guy yelled at her.
It can be annoying if people collecting are overly pushy but being rude to them is just unnecessary.
(edited 12 years ago)
I just make my headphones clearly visible and start staring at my phone reading texts or something till i'm past them
Reply 79
I pretend to be on the phone, say 'sorry' or just ignore them. A couple of times when I wasn't on my guard I got ensnared by them. The men always always try the flattery, the chat-up lines, it's like, nope, you're neither getting a date nor my bank details!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending