The Student Room Group

Footballers from YORKSHIRE...

I am trying to find the best (not just any) football players to come from Yorkshire.

So far I have only found:

David Seaman
Gordon Banks
Len Shackleton
Kevin Keegan

has anyone got any more?? i'm trying to make a full team
Reply 1
i suppose michael dawson as well
David Pegg. He was one of the United players who sadly died in the Munich Air Disaster at the age of only 22. He was born in Doncaster and had made 127 appearances for United and had one England cap.

There's also Alick Jeffrey who is a Doncaster Rovers legend. Not many know about him but here is a short article about him.

Alick Jeffrey, forced out of the game with two broken legs, returns for the first time in seven years to play for Doncaster Rovers against Southport.

More than 12,000 turn up to watch his side’s 3-0 win, the Doncaster players earning themselves a £4 crowd bonus. Alick’s injuries ruined what had promised to be a glittering career.

Manchester United manager Matt Busby had already agreed to buy Alick from Rovers indeed, he’d already given him £200 - the equivalent of 20 weeks' wages - as an earnest of his intention to smash the record transfer fee for a teenager. After breaking his leg, Alick called Busby to ask him if he wanted his money back.

Busby said: “No, lad, get well as soon as you can - and buy something nice for your mother.” He bought his mother a state-of-the-art washing machine.

As a player, Alick possessed beautiful balance and scored spectacular goals and, on his return with Doncaster, he was the League's top scorer with 39 goals. After retiring, Alick became the landlord of the Black Bull pub in Doncaster’s Market Place.

When he died at the age of 61 in November 2000, the town came to a standstill for one of the biggest funerals Doncaster had ever seen.

Obviously I never saw him play but from what I have read and from what people have told me, he would have been one of football's greats if it wasn't for his unfortunate injury.
(edited 12 years ago)
Alan Smith :awesome:
Reply 4
Mick McCarthy
Reply 5
Terry Cooper
Paul Madeley
Trevor Cherry
David Batty
David Wetherall
Paul Robinson
James Milner
Aaron Lennon
Mick Bates
Noel Whelan
Brian Deane
Reply 6
Original post by LUFC Tom
Terry Cooper
Paul Madeley
Trevor Cherry
David Batty
David Wetherall
Paul Robinson
James Milner
Aaron Lennon
Mick Bates
Noel Whelan
Brian Deane

nice one :five:
Reply 7
Original post by Mr. Orange
nice one :five:

To be honest I just looked at famous players to have played for leeds on wikipedia and picked out those from Yorkshire. You could probably try it for some of the other Yorkshire teams.
Brian Clough.

Quick Reply

Latest