The Student Room Group

Science B1,C1,P1 help??

Hi!
I was just wondering if anyone has done the Science exam year 10 B1,C1,P1, and if yes then could you give me any tips/ideas on the areas that i should revise one? :biggrin: what are any of the questions? and by the way i am taking the 2011 one so please no questions from older papers as i've already done these!! :smile:
Thanks
Kia :colone:
Reply 1
Hi, are you doing the mulitple choice ones or the written ones?
Reply 2
its written i think? :smile:
Reply 3
can you help??? :L
Reply 4
Original post by kiasandvig
its written i think? :smile:

Ahh ok. What books are you revising from? I recommend the Nelson Thornes books or the cgp books. Get a syllabus from http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/pdf/AQA-4462-W-SP-12.PDF. Make sure that you know everything from the syllabus and you should be fine. Also, I recommend that you revise How Science works as those questions prop up all the time. How much more time do you have before the exam?
Reply 5
Oh, and the exam board is AQA, isn't it?
Reply 6
ah thanks i'll try them, i've got the cgp books they're great!! :smile: um i think it may the exam board may be ocr, teacher hasnt really explained tbh!! and i have about 3 weeks to go. When you say "how science works" what do you mean by that? questions from topics related to the world? :L
Reply 7
ah thanks i'll try them, i've got the cgp books they're great!! :smile: um i think it may the exam board may be ocr, teacher hasnt really explained tbh!! and i have about 3 weeks to go. When you say "how science works" what do you mean by that? questions from topics related to the world? :L

How science works are things like how to make the tests fair, accurate, reliable etc. For example, there may be a question like "Explain why independant scientists should carry out experiments rather that company scientists." Also, if you're doing OCR, ignore the link I gave you as that was the syllabus for AQA. I also recommend BBC bitesize.
Reply 8
ah i see, that really helps me!! and yeah i just had a look at bbc bitsize its very helpful too!! Well thankyou usycool1, hopefully i have more of a chance of passing my exams now.
Your help was much appreciated :smile:
Ah I did these last year.

B1 is, in my opinion, the easiest exam on the course, although different people have different experiences, I got 100 UMS mark. I'm not going to deny I'm smart, but I'm not a genius.

P1 is similar for me, although if maths doesn't come naturally, make sure you put extra revision into it. I got 100 UMS for this one too, but physics is a natural subject for me because Im good at maths and radioactivity is interesting for me.

C1 is slightly harder, not because of the syllabus- really, the stuff you learn is easy but because the test is designed for people who haven't taken chemistry exams before, the questions lose focus and become a bit wooly- exam technique and application of knowledge are the most important things for C1. I got 85UMS which isn't as bad score, but of I had practised exam technique more than the actual stuff. Some people in my class got higher and admitted they knew verynlittle of the syllabus. Of course, revise the spec, but do plentynof past exams. You should be fine :wink:

If you need any further help, please feel free to PM me :wink:
Reply 10
Original post by AspiringGenius
Ah I did these last year.

B1 is, in my opinion, the easiest exam on the course, although different people have different experiences, I got 100 UMS mark. I'm not going to deny I'm smart, but I'm not a genius.

P1 is similar for me, although if maths doesn't come naturally, make sure you put extra revision into it. I got 100 UMS for this one too, but physics is a natural subject for me because Im good at maths and radioactivity is interesting for me.

C1 is slightly harder, not because of the syllabus- really, the stuff you learn is easy but because the test is designed for people who haven't taken chemistry exams before, the questions lose focus and become a bit wooly- exam technique and application of knowledge are the most important things for C1. I got 85UMS which isn't as bad score, but of I had practised exam technique more than the actual stuff. Some people in my class got higher and admitted they knew verynlittle of the syllabus. Of course, revise the spec, but do plentynof past exams. You should be fine :wink:

If you need any further help, please feel free to PM me :wink:

Lol it's opposite for me. I found B1 the hardest and C1 the easist.
Reply 11
ah i see, that really helps me!! and yeah i just had a look at bbc bitsize its very helpful too!! Well thankyou usycool1, hopefully i have more of a chance of passing my exams now.
Your help was much appreciated :smile:

No problem. Good luck on your exams! I hope they go well :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by usycool1
Lol it's opposite for me. I found B1 the hardest and C1 the easist.

ooh your getting me worried now!!! are you really clever, how did you get 100?? :L well biology is my strongest point and physics my weakest so thats where i need to practise the most :biggrin::biggrin:
ooh your getting me worried now!!! are you really clever, how did you get 100?? :L well biology is my strongest point and physics my weakest so thats where i need to practise the most :biggrin::biggrin:

Oh I hoped to get the opposite point across! I didn't wish to worry you!

As I said, I'm not going to lie, I'm not stupid. But when it comes to getting 100 UMS, the exam board weights the different results depending on how everybody does. In some exams, 35/45 can get you 100 UMS because very few people got above that grade. 100 UMS does not = 100%.

You seem like a smart person and if you learn the syllabus, you should be able to get a good grade (obvs I don't want to pressure you or anything for 100 UMS :smile: ). If you gave a revision guide, learn it. Do as many past papers as you can and *cough* Nick a textbook of need be! *cough* for as long as you need it. That's what I did because the teacher wouldn't let me borrow it. ^_^ ima bad a$$!

I'm not a prodigy- 100UMS is possible if you work for it. Don't worry about what school you go to either- I go to a low/medium performing state school and I'm not the only one with good grades down to hard work. To prove to you I'm not a genius, I got 72 UMS fir my B2 exam in January. To put this into context, 72UMS = 22/45. That's also a very easy test, I could tell you all the syllabus before I even walked into the first lesson of B2- it's all about exam technique :wink:

Don't worry, you'll be fine as long ad your confident. But don't get over confident like I did with B2 because Im retaking and I feel retarded. ^_^
Reply 14
Original post by AspiringGenius
Oh I hoped to get the opposite point across! I didn't wish to worry you!

As I said, I'm not going to lie, I'm not stupid. But when it comes to getting 100 UMS, the exam board weights the different results depending on how everybody does. In some exams, 35/45 can get you 100 UMS because very few people got above that grade. 100 UMS does not = 100%.

You seem like a smart person and if you learn the syllabus, you should be able to get a good grade (obvs I don't want to pressure you or anything for 100 UMS :smile: ). If you gave a revision guide, learn it. Do as many past papers as you can and *cough* Nick a textbook of need be! *cough* for as long as you need it. That's what I did because the teacher wouldn't let me borrow it. ^_^ ima bad a$$!

I'm not a prodigy- 100UMS is possible if you work for it. Don't worry about what school you go to either- I go to a low/medium performing state school and I'm not the only one with good grades down to hard work. To prove to you I'm not a genius, I got 72 UMS fir my B2 exam in January. To put this into context, 72UMS = 22/45. That's also a very easy test, I could tell you all the syllabus before I even walked into the first lesson of B2- it's all about exam technique :wink:

Don't worry, you'll be fine as long ad your confident. But don't get over confident like I did with B2 because Im retaking and I feel retarded. ^_^

ah yes i understand about the 100, teacher explanined it.
yes i may just steal a textbook on monday, but i'll probably get caught, we've only been given cgp books, thought they are quite good, they dont eaxctly expand on it all.
I'm sure you'll do fine in your retake :smile: good luck
Reply 15
Well this exam was soooo easy, thankyou for all your help!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending