The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by feelingsupersonic
Your English. How are you supposed to know what is right for the people of Scotland, Wales and Ireland? Please don't talk about things you don't understand.

And you do know whats best, do you? Patronising little ****
The UK nationality problem is in such a right mess I'd rather leave. If only Englishmen consider themselves British then what's the point of being anything other than English?

Anyway, Scotland and England have not fought each other for centuries and have a united monarchy. Ireland was boned and started to be boned by Norman knights with their plantations. I don't know how this happened, probably down to it being a separate island.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 42
majority of scotland don't want independance.
snp was the only elected because there was not a good choice.
Original post by kpopjpop
majority of scotland don't want independance.
snp was the only elected because there was not a good choice.

It was because of the previous and current governments, wasn't it? Labour, Tories and Lib Dems, although I don't think the Tories lost anything there (okay, it barely has a hold, but it hasn't lost what grip it had right?). So really there was no other option, right?

What other policies does the SNP have other than independence?
Reply 44
Original post by Snagprophet
It was because of the previous and current governments, wasn't it? Labour, Tories and Lib Dems, although I don't think the Tories lost anything there (okay, it barely has a hold, but it hasn't lost what grip it had right?). So really there was no other option, right?

What other policies does the SNP have other than independence?

Yep. Labour were popular in Scotland but with the whole recession they lost faith in them. The tories have never been popular here (sadly aha) and then the Lib Dems shouldn't even been called a party.

SNP was the only other option I guess and to show the other parties up. SNP do have some pretty rubbish policies like encouraging more immigrants and everyone who has a job despite age (eg a saturday job) will be taxed. But, good policies I guess were free university which I must admit makes me relieved. The other one free prescriptions and a council tax freeze for 5 years.
^
So it sounds like they have no other use, right?
Reply 46
Yep. Labour were popular in Scotland but with the whole recession they lost faith in them.

Funny how they managed to get not only a bigger share of the vote, but an enormously larger number of votes, when compared to the SNP's performance just there, a mere year before in the UK Parliament elections...

The tories have never been popular here (sadly aha)

Yes, they have. The Tories have been historically the most popular party in Scottish history. Ask your grandfather.
Reply 47
Original post by L i b
Funny how they managed to get not only a bigger share of the vote, but an enormously larger number of votes, when compared to the SNP's performance just there, a mere year before in the UK Parliament elections...

Yes, they have. The Tories have been historically the most popular party in Scottish history. Ask your grandfather.

Indeed, they lost faith in them as I said.

And, you are wrong. Yes they were more popular before Margaret Thatcher but they were not the most popular party at all.
Reply 48
Indeed, they lost faith in them as I said.

And, you are wrong. Yes they were more popular before Margaret Thatcher but they were not the most popular party at all.

Yes they were. In 1955, the Tories in Scotland accomplished something no other party has ever done before or since in the democratic era: secured more than 50% of the Scottish vote. It was only in the 1960s that they stopped dominating Scotland electorally, but remained a decent electoral force, raising and falling and giving Labour a run for their money at several elections. It was 1997 before the really serious problems began.
We are too busy being fat and Ginger dancing about in our kilts in our castles, eating haggis and deep fried mars bars and being drunk off whiskey to care.
Reply 50
Original post by L i b
Yes they were. In 1955, the Tories in Scotland accomplished something no other party has ever done before or since in the democratic era: secured more than 50% of the Scottish vote. It was only in the 1960s that they stopped dominating Scotland electorally, but remained a decent electoral force, raising and falling and giving Labour a run for their money at several elections. It was 1997 before the really serious problems began.

So a one off?
Except from that, they've never really created a big enough impact on Scotland.
Reply 51
So a one off?
Except from that, they've never really created a big enough impact on Scotland.

Yes, a one-off, something spectacular that no party has ever equaled. And of course they created a big impact: the Tories dominated Scotland electorally from the fall of the Liberals to the 1960s. There were a couple of elections (although not all that many!) where they were defeated on popular vote, of course, based on national swings, but they were undoubtedly the most significant electoral force throughout this major period in modern Scottish history. The Scottish Tories produced countless cabinet ministers and a good few Prime Ministers over the years, and had a great many strongholds in Scotland - safer seats you could not find.
(edited 12 years ago)
The Irish toribles were precipitated by centuries of oppression which specifically targeted ethnic Gaelic people, hence the toribles are regarded as an ethno nationalist conflict. In Scotland the ethnic Gaelic population is much much smaller than in Ireland, due to massive immigration to Scotland from England, starting really in the Middle Ages and up to the time of the Jacobite struggle. The same happened in Ireland, beginning with Norman invasions, but to a demographically much lesser extent. People identify in Ireland based on his heritage, and are labelled as such quite commonly. The Gaels of Scotland are outnumbered by other groups, of Anglo Saxon/Anglo Norman (English) descent. The Scots dialect, is a Germanic English language.
The Irish troubles were precipitated by centuries of oppression which specifically targeted ethnic Gaelic people, hence the toribles are regarded as an ethno nationalist conflict. In Scotland the ethnic Gaelic population is much much smaller than in Ireland, due to massive immigration to Scotland from England, starting really in the Middle Ages and up to the time of the Jacobite struggle. The same happened in Ireland, beginning with Norman invasions, but to a demographically much lesser extent. People identify in Ireland based on his heritage, and are labelled as such quite commonly. The Gaels of Scotland are outnumbered by other groups, of Anglo Saxon/Anglo Norman (English) descent. The Scots dialect, is a Germanic English language.
Original post by -Invidious-
With the recent polls showing huge support for the SNP in Scotland, it got me thinking as to why there's no IRA equivalent there?

I mean both Scotland and Ireland speak Gaelic, there's large Catholic populations in both countries and Independence is now seen in a favorable light. It just struck me that despite this, no terrorist attacks or violent actions from Scots have occurred towards the English.
Ireland was starved and then ripped from the union when Sinn Feinn only had 46% of the vote (though another large bunch were apathetic) which is why we got a messy handover and part of Ireland staying. The SNP for all their flaws are so far committed to referenda being their legitimate route out.
Original post by Rakas21
Ireland was starved and then ripped from the union when Sinn Feinn only had 46% of the vote (though another large bunch were apathetic) which is why we got a messy handover and part of Ireland staying. The SNP for all their flaws are so far committed to referenda being their legitimate route out.

Here's an interesting read.

http://www.economist.com/news/britain/21674723-soft-autocracy-nationalist-scotland-cawdors-shadow

Latest