The Student Room Group

Mac or Pc for University?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Kayak
Ah thanks, that's quite helpful. Hmmm. But the only worry i would have with a desktop is that when I come home I'd have to leave it at Uni... I'd either be flying home or getting a train for hours, so it's not practical to be lugging a computer around in a box with me, and I don't know how happy I'd be leaving it there, security wise?

Security-wise, the risk of leaving stuff like that at uni is very low. If you're going to be travelling regularly - get a laptop. :yep:
TBH, I'd get a windows PC and save the money.

As to macs been more reliable, what a load of rubbish. 90% of PC problems are OS based and down to the users been idiots. If you look at actual hardware problems I bet they'res not actually much difference at all.

I personally have a desktop and a £150 netbook (with 9 hour battery). Desktop is used for proper work, netbook is used at uni or for facebook and stuff when chilling in the living room. When I go home I chuck my little netbook in my bag and go, desktop stays at uni.
(edited 12 years ago)
Some uni's do offer money off laptops. I know that Ravensbourne offer £300 off a new mac if you choose to buy one :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by Clayman
Ebuyer is a good website. You should always avoid going to places like PC World where you get ripped off. Picked out a random one for you; just so you can get an idea of how much money you're saving.

15.6" screen and i3 processor - £329.99 - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/254087

As for the viruses thing, good on you. All the more reason to go for a non-Mac. :p:

Ah thanks, never heard of that site before. Yep, I got my current laptop at Pc world... was rather annoyed as well since my requirements were that I wanted a fairly good everyday laptop, but that would handle games just as well as a desktop. They said this one was great for games, being an entertainment pc. A few months later I bought sims 3, to find the graphics on my computer doesn't support it :angry:

I'll definitely do some browsing around the different windows based laptops I think, to get an idea of what specs I can get for what price :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by Mad Vlad
Or, alternatively, you could just learn to use your computer properly. Macs aren't invulnerable to the sort of malware that could compromise your trading platform account.

Ok, pc dude, what virus or malware protector would you recommend I use?

What pc would you recommend I buy?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 25
Mac's are reliable, smooth and make a lot of things a lot easier and simpler.

I'm moving to PC in september and selling this macbook but it's still great after 3 years.

2 core 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hardrive, firewire 400 and 2 usbs. Probably the best non 'pro' macbook they released, they started muching around with them too much in 2009 and 2010.
Original post by AreYouDizzeeBlud_x

It doesn't make a sound whereas a Windows laptop with the same spec does, as I've looked at alternative.

That's absolutely nothing to do with windows, just take the case off and replace the fans for about £15...
Original post by Kayak
Hi there,

I've currently got a 17" Hp Pavilion Dv9000, which I've had for 2-3 years, and it's on it's way out, which I'm not too pleased about. The Cd drive has packed up due to the computer overheating, and it has a tendency to overheat every now and then and shut itself off. So yep, not the most reliable of computers, and not really portable either, so I'm thinking I ought to look around for a new one for Uni.

It's going to need to last me at least four years, with pretty much everyday use. Obviously going to be used for essays/courswork and stuff, general internet use, photos and music, and a few games (Only Sims 3/Black and White and stuff). Edit: Also battery life would be quite important- my current laptop is appauling, it lasts maybe an hour on high performance, or two on balanced, and then cuts out. I'd be looking for a new one with a much better battery life.

So yep, I'm torn between Mac or Pc. I know various people with Macs, and they rave about them, and I must agree the customer support from Apple is very good (as opposed to Hp, who don't seem to want to associate themselves with said laptop once the warranty's gone, or so it seems in this case anyway). Also theres the less viruses with Apple, and the operating system is relatively easy to use I've been told, with plenty of tutorials to assist.

But then theres the cost.... can I afford to fork out that much money when I barely have that amount, right before I disappear for Uni, where my budget is going to be stretched pretty thinly anyway- would I be better off finding a cheaper Pc that would do, but then theres the chance of it not lasting, and I'd have to either get a new one or repair it anyway. And, for the price I'd pay for an apple, I could probably get a very good pc and save £400...

Decisions decisions! :biggrin: So, without wanting to start a massive Mac vs Pc war, I'm looking for opinions please? ^^ Thanks

Macbook Pro's are very reliable machines as they rarely recieve a virus, battery life is excellent, don't stutter/freeze.

to be fair some windows based pc's are just as good as macbook pro's but they are more expensive .. the new samsung 9 series, lenovo thinkpad X1, hp envy.

if you're worried about the cost, Apple offer discount to students.. as well as a ''finance'' plan where you can pay in installments (not sure exactly how, have a look online or ask instore).

i used to play the sims 3, stopped now because it is addictive:biggrin: but i would play it on a 2-3 year old outdated budget laptop and it worked perfectly.. games/software are widely available for Windows OS but not as much for Mac OS.

However!:smile: you can run both windows and mac os on a macbook pro without any problems through software called 'Bootcamp' .. its provided by Apple with their macbook pros.
so if you are worried about whether the OS is something you'd become familiar with, you can just use windows on a macbook pro.

it really comes down to whether you can afford to spend as much monies on a laptop, when you would be living on a budget for university:rolleyes:
Original post by Millz
Ok, pc dude, what virus or malware protector would you recommend I use?

What pc would you recommend I buy?

Kaspersky .. and Malwarebytes.
Reply 29
I'd second the Toshiba, that looks like a good deal. If it breaks after two years (which I'm not saying it will) who cares, you can just buy another and still be in profit.

Honestly if you don't care about the OS don't bother switching. The main reason to get a Mac is because of iOS...

Regarding desktop vs laptop, I'd always suggest laptop if you're not a heavy user. Most people need some sort of device for when they go home so the only solution is a desktop + netbook, which while cheaper than buying an expensive gaming laptop isn't really worth it for someone who'd be fine with a £300-400 machine.
(edited 12 years ago)
PC, when you're in halls and want to own some noobs on LAN its a pain in the arse to have a mac.
Reply 31
Original post by getfunky!
Kaspersky .. and Malwarebytes.

How much discount do Apple offer, also what Mac or Windows pc would you go for ?
~15% Uni Discount on any new Mac, look here: http://store.apple.com/uk_edu_5000841 for pricing
Original post by Millz

Original post by Millz
How much discount do Apple offer, also what Mac or Windows pc would you go for ?

10% discount for college or equivalent, 15% for university.
Reply 34
Personally i'd recommend a mac.

I've got a HP Pavillion laptop, which is about 3 years old and it's still better than the majority of laptops on the market (4gb Ram, 320gb hard drive, blu-ray, AMD graphics card etc) it's a great laptop and at time I paid around £700 (I worked at currys and got discount) but then paying an extra £30-40 a year on virus protection, plus the battery died after a year which HP didn't want to hear about, a HP replacement was £60, and now the charger is giving away which is going to cost around £80 to replace from HP.

My Mac in comparison has 4GB Ram, 250GB storage, no blu-ray, graphics card are comparatively similar, no virus protection and I paid just over £1000 for it. Yes rather more expensive, but it's so much more easy to use, its turned on and ready to use within 30 seconds, it doesn't over heat, the battery just lasts all day whenever i'm at uni. The battery even though I use it all day every day is still as good as new, and even then getting a replacement under Applecare (Which I paid £43 for 3 years for) would be free. Plus the trackpad is engineering genius, small things just make having a laptop that much better.
I can't even remember the last time I used my HP.

If we went on specs and price alone - the HP on paper beats it, as do most Window's laptops, on paper.
But a laptop is more than the specs, ultimately it's about the user-experience.
Reply 35

I disagree with the article. It's very subjective, and laptop use differs greatly between individuals. Personally in qualitative lectures I would use a laptop, for instance, because I'm a rapid typer. I also travel home during breaks, and it's really convenient to be able to do work on the train and in the airport. With the intention of just doing work, watching movies and playing low spec games such as the Sims 3, really it isn't much cheaper to get a desktop. Indeed, some may find that their laptop is confined to their desk most of the time as I do. But there are also times when it is convenient to have a laptop in university, for instance when you're studying in the quiet section where there are no computers, where it's more convenient to have a laptop with internet access to have multiple files of lecture notes opened at once.

You will find that a desktop has many limits. For what the OP is looking for, really a laptop will do absolutely anything that a desktop can do, and more. It's only a little bit more expensive, but it's really worth it if you're going to invest in something to last for 3 years.

OP: IMO, don't get a mac if budget is an issue. Ordinary laptops will suffice. As long as you're responsible and look after it, it shouldn't have any major issues throughout the duration of your course.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by partoftheweekend
PC, when you're in halls and want to own some noobs on LAN its a pain in the arse to have a mac.

Good point. I recall playing my fair share of counter strike and pwning n00bs. :tongue:
Original post by Millz

not sure tbh .. i think it about £100 off the price but it should work well with their finance plan.

for Mac's i would choose a 13-inch macbook pro because its more portable.
for a Windows pc i would choose a samsung 9 series/hp envy/lenovo thinkpad X1.. they are priced similar to the macbook pro line.. im not entirely sure which one because i haven't really thought about it..:smile:
Original post by Josh_Hughes
That's absolutely nothing to do with windows, just take the case off and replace the fans for about £15...

On a brand new system?

If you buy a laptop with Windows 7 and a Macbook Pro, 9/10 the Windows laptop will be louder than the Macbook Pro. My Macbook Pro doesn't even make a noise, its silent. Every single laptop with Windows I've owned the fans have made a noise since I first switched it on.
(edited 12 years ago)
Lenovo ThinkPad E520. i5 2410M.HD6690.320gb 7200rpm hdd. 4GB RAM. £<£570 if you use quidco.

Almost doubles any performance/price ratio of any macbook pro and if you dual boot with linux, you can get many alternatives to Mac OSX programs for free.

???

Profit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending