The Student Room Group

Mac or Pc for University?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Get a cheap desktop, and a cheap netbook. I'm about to build myself a desktop because I don't need my laptop anymore and I can get more for my money if I build a Desktop. My laptop sits on my desk in my room 99% of the time - I take my netbook into uni if I need it. Plus netbooks do everything workwise you would ever need. The only reason you would want another computer is to watch films/play games and have a bigger screen, and you definitely don't need a mac for that; especially for what they cost.
Reply 61
Original post by WelshBluebird
NVIDIA GeForce 310M, so is less powerful than the GPU in my MBP (only by a bit, but when you are talking about low end GPU's like that, the little bits matter).
Battery life is 6.5 hours as you say. Less than the 8 hour or so I get in my MBP.
Around a cm thicker.
1 year warranty compared to the free 3 year one I have with my MBP.
Try again.

Mac Pros are overpriced though (as are upgrades to macs from apple - which is why you just buy the bits yourself). I'm not arguing that.

If you're going to be pedantic, the processor on the one I linked is better (2.66GHz vs 2.3GHz). :biggrin:
Original post by Clayman
If you're going to be pedantic, the processor on the one I linked is better (2.66GHz vs 2.3GHz). :biggrin:

Still doesn't make up for the rest though.

When I bought my MBP, I did need a small, light but powerful laptop that had a very good battery life. My choices were the MBP for £850, or a few samsungs / Acers for around £800. And the MBP had a 3 year warranty.
I do however realise that what I was looking for was very specific, most people won't have those needs. So as I said, it depends on what you want / need.
I'd rather pay an extra couple of hundred pounds just for OS X instead of Windows. Its a much better operating system in my opinion and the app store means you can easily find an array of useful programs that are free from viruses and that don't task the CPU much.

OS X can still mount an ISO without a third party software install which again is going to take up space on a PC. Really, Windows 7 should be doing this out of the box.

With Windows, unless you buy the ultimate edition, you’re not getting all the cool features that Microsoft likes to talk about when competing with OS X. As the average Windows 7 user will most likely be using Home Premium, they won’t be getting Bit Locker encryption, Windows Backup, Multilingual abilities and the Windows XP mode to run old apps that won’t work in 7.

There’s only one version of OS X. No cheap, cut down, crippled “Home Premium”, “Professional, or “Starter” versions. One price gets you everything. Time Machine, FileVault, Multilanguage Support, Active Directory Binding, Boot Camp, and much more. (i.e. all the preinstalled media apps) etc.

On OS X I've got everything I need straight out of the box and ready to do work whereas on Windows I'd have to look around the net for various third party software which then means there is a chance of risk or the program is extremely large and takes up more space than I wanted, etc.

Okay, finding and installing third party software is not the hardest job in the world but I'd rather native applications than third party applications any day.
The trouble with asking him to find the same 13" laptop though is that not many manufacturers bother to make them, because lets be honest 15" will do the same job as a 13" with extra screen. 15" Laptops are a better deal, frankly.

Okay, lets do a comparison. As a benchmark lets use a standard i5 13" Macbook Pro and compare it to equivalent 15" laptops... so the standard price for a 13" i5 macbook pro is £999, minus student discount of 15% would be £850. That is with 4gb of RAM and Intel graphics.

Here is a 15" laptop for you:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/259336

£515, Core i5, with 6GB of ram. Integrated graphics today will run pretty much everything except heavy games.

That laptop is 1. Better 2. Cheaper. I'm assuming here you wont keel over if asked to carry one.

Why not go overboard? Lets compare 15" i7 Mac, at £1549for the BASIC 2ghz model with 4GB of RAM and Intel graphics. Including discount, thats around £1350.

Here is a windows version...

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/243949

£1500, so okay its a bit more. But compare. It has 2X the RAM, and a GTX 460 Graphics Card. Okay it has .3ghz less clock speed on the processor, but with 8GB of RAM, it wont even dent the performance.

Another from another website this time...

http://www.cclonline.com/product/56000/VPCF13M8E/B-CEK/Laptops/Sony-VPC-F13M8E-Notebook/NOT0610/

A 16.7" laptop that is pretty much the same as a mac (excluding the .3ghz of processor lost) and with better graphics for almost 1/2 the price

You dont want to carry around 16.7" of laptop? No worries. Here is a 15" one...

http://www.cclonline.com/product/43557/PTME1E-01M031EN/Laptops/Toshiba-Tecra-M11-17Z-Notebook/NOT0297/

2.8GHz Processor, 8GB of RAM, for £1000. Integrated graphics getting you down? Try this on for size...

http://www.cclonline.com/product/55659/LX-R6H02-006/Laptops/Acer-Aspire-Ethos-5943G-7748G64Wnss-Notebook-PC/NOT0344/

Back to a 1.73 Ghz processor, but 2 times the memory and dedicated graphics. All for £1400.

I could go on and on, and those arent the best deals, but you get the point - there are loads of choices, and most offer more versatility at either a cheaper price or with better hardware.
(edited 12 years ago)
But they are not 13" laptops, which totally defeats the point (I was getting a 13" laptop do replace a 9" netbook and a 15" laptop, so it had to fall in between them, and so a new 15" was not a better deal).
(edited 12 years ago)
I'd definitely go for the MBP. You're going to need a computer that can do everything you want it to do. With no hassle. No waiting, no confusion, no frustration. I get that with my Mac. I did not get that with a Windows computer. People constantly talk about the price, which is admittedly a big factor when choosing a computer.

People, however, only attribute the price to the specs of the machines and by doing this go straight to Windows. Then say things liek "you don't get viruses if you manage the PC right". No ****. But that isn't what it's about. It's about not having to worry about managing the PC. Not having to get antivirus software because you won't get a virus on the Mac.

Having amazing build quality which is better than 99 percent of the PCs on the market right now, whether custom built OR bought in the store. The OS itself is amazing, very efficient and very simple to use. I've been using windows PCs for years now and I just switched to a Mac about 3 months ago. I love it. As a college student I am so much more productive; opening documents and applications faster than anyone around me during lectures; if I need something, anything, I can have it open from within anywhere on the computer at any time.

The battery life is amazing. I'm using an upgraded MB from 08 so I went and purchased an extra battery to use if I'm ever out and don't have my charger with me (which is hardly ever).

This is a very scattered response because I'm about to step out, however if you think about it, why is it that Mac people always rave about how great Macs are while the PC people reply with arguments either knocking Macs or explaining how PCs are better or equal in some aspects? Why don't the PC people ever state how amazing or exciting it is to own a PC?

You go into a Mac topic and you get 99% positive reviews and experiences, people always talking about how great customer service is or some other positive aspect.I also want to know, from the PC people, how many of you have actually used a Mac. I dont' mean just in a store, but actually used one as your main PC for a week or so? If you haven't, you can't really tell us why a PC is better now can you?
[QUOTE=
Not really on topic but kind of relevant: You do realise Apple is just a different brand of PC, much like Dell or HP, so really the thread title should be Mac or EveryotherPCbrand for University??

operating system...
Reply 68
PC, much cheaper for what you need anyway.
Reply 69
I'm a CS student and I use both, Mac more frequently.

I'd say PC if you're not a CS/Engineering student.
Reply 70
Original post by Young Spade
I also want to know, from the PC people, how many of you have actually used a Mac. I dont' mean just in a store, but actually used one as your main PC for a week or so? If you haven't, you can't really tell us why a PC is better now can you?

I spent a good year using a MBP at work to develop iPhone apps. I found the experience to be no different to using a standard windows laptop. As a result, the fact that people are willing to spend so much more money on a Mac just doesn't make sense to me. Getting a MB/MBP instead of a Windows laptop isn't half as bad as getting a Mac Pro or iMac instead of a desktop Windows PC though. The price difference between the latter is truly shocking.

It is still pretty shocking to see the pricing differences between MBPs and Windows laptops also though; especially the higher specced ones.
(edited 12 years ago)
I've used Macs for almost 5 years and they've never failed me.
Agree with the "you can get an equivalent PC for any Mac for much cheaper" crowd here, but the Mac users will always come up with some little differences between the two to argue they're not comparable or talk about "intangibles" while conveniently ignoring the dearth of software available for Macs compared to PCs along with the many other limitations of using a computer that only 4% of the population uses but that still thinks that the best solution for everything is a "closed" solution and that compatibility just ruins things.
Original post by Clayman
I spent a good year using a MBP at work to develop iPhone apps. I found the experience to be no different to using a standard windows laptop. As a result, the fact that people are willing to spend so much more money on a Mac just doesn't make sense to me. Getting a MB/MBP instead of a Windows laptop isn't half as bad as getting a Mac Pro or iMac instead of a desktop Windows PC though. The price difference between the latter is truly shocking.

It is still pretty shocking to see the pricing differences between MBPs and Windows laptops also though; especially the higher specced ones.

Now that I can agree with. The prices of some of the higher end Macs is crazy. I'm an average consumer (in terms of what I use my computer for) although I am somewhat of a "power user" in a sense. I'm a nerd. I love customizing my programs and computers to get them to work just the way I like.

There are small, small things that aggregate to a much more complete feeling when i'm using a mac. The use of spaces and expose is just downright amazing and worth at least 200 dollars on its own. Yes you can get applications that might work the same way on Windows but the ease and usability of what I have now has been unmatched.

The build quality is also something you have to factor in. Strolling through Best buy the other day, I would randomly type on a keyboard and find it cramped, the keys jiggling when pushed (side to side), the mouse pad being poorly built with bad tracking or a bad feeling to it. All of these things (and of course this is subjective) are of higher quality on Macs.

You also have "in house" specialization and fixing; if something goes wrong or you are confused/need help, just drive over to an Apple store and get "anything" fixed at either a low cost or free. The same day. You just can't get that with a Windows computer (obviously this varies but for the most part, any problem can be fixed within the same week or sooner.

And just throwing this out there, I don't think there is a "better" or best OS. It ultimately depends on the user. As a student I feel that Macs are better suited for me because of what I do with them. Back when I used a windows computer I loved it for what it did as well. There are obviously vast differences in the overall experience you can get between the two types of machines and these differences are going to appeal to different people.
Reply 74
Ah okay, wow thanks for all the advice guys! Sorry it's taken so long to reply, my laptop decided it had had enough and completely died on me, won't even turn on anymore :angry: I'm thinking the hard drive/ mother board is fried, since that was the problem I was having with it before- it was overheating and crashing, and had fried my dvd drive. So now I'm sneaking onto my brothers laptop while he's not around!

Original post by theronkinator

I personally have a desktop and a £150 netbook (with 9 hour battery). Desktop is used for proper work, netbook is used at uni or for facebook and stuff when chilling in the living room. When I go home I chuck my little netbook in my bag and go, desktop stays at uni.

How do you find that combination? I've been considering it, since at least with a desktop, if something breaks you can always stick a new part in, and theres alot of choice as to what you can buy, so it's not going to cost an arm and a leg to repair, whereas laptops are a bit trickier to replace parts.

Original post by getfunky!
Macbook Pro's are very reliable machines as they rarely recieve a virus, battery life is excellent, don't stutter/freeze.

if you're worried about the cost, Apple offer discount to students.. as well as a ''finance'' plan where you can pay in installments (not sure exactly how, have a look online or ask instore).

i used to play the sims 3, stopped now because it is addictive:biggrin: but i would play it on a 2-3 year old outdated budget laptop and it worked perfectly.. games/software are widely available for Windows OS but not as much for Mac OS.

However!:smile: you can run both windows and mac os on a macbook pro without any problems through software called 'Bootcamp' .. its provided by Apple with their macbook pros.
so if you are worried about whether the OS is something you'd become familiar with, you can just use windows on a macbook pro.

it really comes down to whether you can afford to spend as much monies on a laptop, when you would be living on a budget for university:rolleyes:

Thanks, yep I think if I had money to spare, I would go out and get myself a macbook pro now, but when buying one would mean I'm left with nada in my bank account, I'm being swayed to look at cheaper options, just because I think it would be niceat Uni to know I have a bit of spare money in my bank, just incase I ever needed it, or if there were trips or something to pay for...

Original post by Ewan
I'd second the Toshiba, that looks like a good deal. If it breaks after two years (which I'm not saying it will) who cares, you can just buy another and still be in profit.

Honestly if you don't care about the OS don't bother switching. The main reason to get a Mac is because of iOS...

Regarding desktop vs laptop, I'd always suggest laptop if you're not a heavy user. Most people need some sort of device for when they go home so the only solution is a desktop + netbook, which while cheaper than buying an expensive gaming laptop isn't really worth it for someone who'd be fine with a £300-400 machine.

Yeah, this was what my friend was saying the other day- if I buy a £350 laptop and it breaks and I buy another before my degree is up, I've still saved a considerable amount of money... but then it would be awfully inconvenient if it chose it break right before a coursework deadline! And I'm not that bothered about operating systems, I just like the fact that macs, or compared to my old laptop anyway, seem to cope better running multiple things, and dont lag, or get slower over the years.

Original post by The-Wi$e-One
~15% Uni Discount on any new Mac, look here: http://store.apple.com/uk_edu_5000841 for pricing

I've been looking at that, although its only 10% for sixth form students, you have to be on the universities network to get the 15%, and since my laptop is broken now, and I've got four months until uni, Im probably not going to be able to wait until then, even if I did choose a mac!
Reply 75
Original post by Lizzzle
Personally i'd recommend a mac.

I've got a HP Pavillion laptop, which is about 3 years old and it's still better than the majority of laptops on the market (4gb Ram, 320gb hard drive, blu-ray, AMD graphics card etc) it's a great laptop and at time I paid around £700 (I worked at currys and got discount) but then paying an extra £30-40 a year on virus protection, plus the battery died after a year which HP didn't want to hear about, a HP replacement was £60, and now the charger is giving away which is going to cost around £80 to replace from HP.

My Mac in comparison has 4GB Ram, 250GB storage, no blu-ray, graphics card are comparatively similar, no virus protection and I paid just over £1000 for it. Yes rather more expensive, but it's so much more easy to use, its turned on and ready to use within 30 seconds, it doesn't over heat, the battery just lasts all day whenever i'm at uni. The battery even though I use it all day every day is still as good as new, and even then getting a replacement under Applecare (Which I paid £43 for 3 years for) would be free. Plus the trackpad is engineering genius, small things just make having a laptop that much better.
I can't even remember the last time I used my HP.

If we went on specs and price alone - the HP on paper beats it, as do most Window's laptops, on paper.
But a laptop is more than the specs, ultimately it's about the user-experience.

Everyone I've spoken to with a mac/macbook has said they wouldn't switch back either. My HP laptop annoys me so much, because, if it were still working, its actually not a bad laptop at all! Its only three years old, and still pretty up to date, and not too slow, but obviously none of that matters when it wont even switch on lol! And unfortunately this experience has rather put me off buying another HP, despite quite a few review sites saying its a trusted brand to buy from.

Original post by Elbonian
I disagree with the article. It's very subjective, and laptop use differs greatly between individuals. Personally in qualitative lectures I would use a laptop, for instance, because I'm a rapid typer. I also travel home during breaks, and it's really convenient to be able to do work on the train and in the airport. With the intention of just doing work, watching movies and playing low spec games such as the Sims 3, really it isn't much cheaper to get a desktop. Indeed, some may find that their laptop is confined to their desk most of the time as I do. But there are also times when it is convenient to have a laptop in university, for instance when you're studying in the quiet section where there are no computers, where it's more convenient to have a laptop with internet access to have multiple files of lecture notes opened at once.

You will find that a desktop has many limits. For what the OP is looking for, really a laptop will do absolutely anything that a desktop can do, and more. It's only a little bit more expensive, but it's really worth it if you're going to invest in something to last for 3 years.

OP: IMO, don't get a mac if budget is an issue. Ordinary laptops will suffice. As long as you're responsible and look after it, it shouldn't have any major issues throughout the duration of your course.

Thanks, that was helpful- I've been wondering whether to go for laptop, or netbook and desktop, but I wouldnt see myself typing up essays etc on a netbook, and I dont like the idea that getting a desktop I'd then be confined to my room whenever I had work to do... plus my train journey home is going to be 8/9 hours or more, so no laptop would be a bummer for that.

Original post by Repressor
Lenovo ThinkPad E520. i5 2410M.HD6690.320gb 7200rpm hdd. 4GB RAM. £<£570 if you use quidco.

Almost doubles any performance/price ratio of any macbook pro and if you dual boot with linux, you can get many alternatives to Mac OSX programs for free.

???

Profit.

I'll take a look at it, thanks :smile:

Original post by Nickbotto
Man this PC vs Mac thing is been going on for ages... To keep it simple:
° Apple made Mac easy and simple to use because they know that people are idiots and don't know how computers actually work, that's why many people find it so "amazing".
° Windows, on the other hand, virus, crashes, blah blah blah, if they happen, it's because you're using it badly, prob downloaded some bad stuff that messed with your OS. People panic here and cry, prob threw their PCs away and buy a Mac. So don't blame PC if you don't know how to use computers.
So for all of you who is asking this question, don't bother doing research, just get a Mac because you probably have no knowledge in computers to actually understand the difference.
PCs are not even that hard to use, all you need to know is how to format your computer, store your data on an external or a separated partition so if something goes wrong and you can't fix it with system restore or even google can't help you, you can format it and get it back, good as new.

Thanks, well I'd like to think I know my way around a computer slightly better than the average computer user, not brilliantly by any means, but I'm not an idiot :smile: The viruses with windows is a downside, but 'touch wood' I've never had any major issues with viruses, it wasn't a virus that wrecked my old laptop, it was overheating. I've been doing a fair bit of research into good student laptops recently, and I've noticed that macbooks do normally feature on most lists, whereas the windows pcs seem to be different on every one! As for my current laptop, it sounds like it's beyond repair to me, certainly not something that can be fixed with system restore.
Original post by alastairq

I will be purchasing a Macbook Pro 13" in the summer for university by the way.

Beautiful choice, I bought mine two weeks ago :smile:
Nearly had a heart attack when I handed my debit card over, couldn't believe I was spending that amount of money on a laptop, but when I got it home I knew I'd made the right choice.

It says "up to 7 hours battery life" but I find that if you're only browsing the internet mine tends to last closer to 9 hours. If you're listening to music or watching a movie then obviously it would be less.
None of my other laptops have ever lasted more than 3 hours on battery, so this is a considerable plus point.

I know people who've had Macs for ~15 years and, apart from having to replace the battery ever 4ish years, they're as reliable as they ever were. This is ONE laptop lasting the same amount of time that most people would have bought 5.

Also I like to do a lot of videos, mixing, composing etc so no need to say that Macs are much better for me for this reason, too.

It takes literally 20 seconds to load up, and 5 seconds to shut down. My old laptop used to take ~2 minutes to load up and ~3 minutes to shut down. It's little things like that make all the difference.

Obviously it's a huge price to pay, but look at it as an investment. If you don't have the money then that's fair enough, but I happened to, so thought I might as well!

Oh, and I pay to have mine insured as well, and it's covered for all damage, accidental included, so don't have to worry about the fact that Macs are super expensive to replace in comparison to other laptop brands.
Reply 77
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
I've just bought a MacBook Pro 13" 2011 model, and I love it. They say that the battery lasts for 7 hours, however I find that it lasts longer than that for me if I'm just browsing the internet with the screen brightness on fairly dim.

It's the fastest laptop I've ever used, and there are lots of neat things about it.

I've heard people say that they've had their Macbooks for years and years. My auntie has had hers since 2003 and says it's still as fast as the day she bought it, although she chose to buy a new battery last year as it got to the point where it would only last an hour between charges and that wasn't enough for her due to her job.

If you can afford it, I'd recommend it as an investment, unless you're one of those people who gets really bored with their laptops within a year or so.

Ah nice, I would probably get that one if I did go for a macbook, although the screen size is one thing I'd worry about- do you find it a bit small for everyday computing? Can you still watch films on it? Yep, my Dad keeps telling me to think of it as an investment for the whole time I'm at Uni, but I'm struggling to part with all of my savings!

Original post by Squidgyness

Honestly, I dont see how this is even a contest.

Thanks for the advice. The pros you mentioned with macs are quite important ones for me, not that I'm constantly dropping my computer, but because it's so easy to accidentally break things, and then thats all your money down the drain! As for the no games, surely if you can run windows on a mac, wouldnt you be able to run normal games on it too? Not just ones compatible with mac? But thats not a problem anyway, I've only got a few games. With the PC side of the arguement, yes, the cost is definitely swaying me this way, I could get a similar spec computer for half the price...

Original post by neon
Get a cheap desktop, and a cheap netbook. I'm about to build myself a desktop because I don't need my laptop anymore and I can get more for my money if I build a Desktop. My laptop sits on my desk in my room 99% of the time - I take my netbook into uni if I need it. Plus netbooks do everything workwise you would ever need. The only reason you would want another computer is to watch films/play games and have a bigger screen, and you definitely don't need a mac for that; especially for what they cost.

I have been debating this... but then I'd worry about leaving my desktop at Uni when I go home, and over the summer it would be a pain to have to either lug a desktop all the way down from scotland, or be stuck with just a netbook for the whole summer. A laptop seems more of a happy medium, and only one thing to purchase!

Original post by Squidgyness
The trouble with asking him to find the same 13" laptop though is that not many manufacturers bother to make them, because lets be honest 15" will do the same job as a 13" with extra screen. 15" Laptops are a better deal, frankly.

Okay, lets do a comparison. As a benchmark lets use a standard i5 13" Macbook Pro and compare it to equivalent 15" laptops... so the standard price for a 13" i5 macbook pro is £999, minus student discount of 15% would be £850. That is with 4gb of RAM and Intel graphics.

Here is a 15" laptop for you:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/259336

£515, Core i5, with 6GB of ram. Integrated graphics today will run pretty much everything except heavy games.

That laptop is 1. Better 2. Cheaper. I'm assuming here you wont keel over if asked to carry one.

Why not go overboard? Lets compare 15" i7 Mac, at £1549for the BASIC 2ghz model with 4GB of RAM and Intel graphics. Including discount, thats around £1350.

I shall have a look, thanks. Would you mind explaining the differences between i5 and i7, it's the processor, right? I'm just wondering how worth it getting one or the other would be, and whether I would even notice the difference?

Original post by Young Spade
I'd definitely go for the MBP. You're going to need a computer that can do everything you want it to do. With no hassle. No waiting, no confusion, no frustration. I get that with my Mac. I did not get that with a Windows computer. People constantly talk about the price, which is admittedly a big factor when choosing a computer.

People, however, only attribute the price to the specs of the machines and by doing this go straight to Windows. Then say things liek "you don't get viruses if you manage the PC right". No ****. But that isn't what it's about. It's about not having to worry about managing the PC. Not having to get antivirus software because you won't get a virus on the Mac.

Having amazing build quality which is better than 99 percent of the PCs on the market right now, whether custom built OR bought in the store. The OS itself is amazing, very efficient and very simple to use. I've been using windows PCs for years now and I just switched to a Mac about 3 months ago. I love it. As a college student I am so much more productive; opening documents and applications faster than anyone around me during lectures; if I need something, anything, I can have it open from within anywhere on the computer at any time.

The battery life is amazing. I'm using an upgraded MB from 08 so I went and purchased an extra battery to use if I'm ever out and don't have my charger with me (which is hardly ever).

This is a very scattered response because I'm about to step out, however if you think about it, why is it that Mac people always rave about how great Macs are while the PC people reply with arguments either knocking Macs or explaining how PCs are better or equal in some aspects? Why don't the PC people ever state how amazing or exciting it is to own a PC?

You go into a Mac topic and you get 99% positive reviews and experiences, people always talking about how great customer service is or some other positive aspect.I also want to know, from the PC people, how many of you have actually used a Mac. I dont' mean just in a store, but actually used one as your main PC for a week or so? If you haven't, you can't really tell us why a PC is better now can you?

Thanks, this is pretty much what my Dad is saying!
Original post by Kayak
Ah nice, I would probably get that one if I did go for a macbook, although the screen size is one thing I'd worry about- do you find it a bit small for everyday computing? Can you still watch films on it? Yep, my Dad keeps telling me to think of it as an investment for the whole time I'm at Uni, but I'm struggling to part with all of my savings!

To be honest, the screen seems big! Watching films is fine for me, but then again I've never been the type to get kicks from huge screens anyway so I guess I'm the wrong person to ask.. Certainly for everyday stuff it's fine. You should go to an Apple store and ask if you can have a go on it and just try it out properly. I moved from a 17inch Toshiba to a 13 inch Mac and just adapted straight away. It's not the biggest, but it uses the space well.

I bet my Toshiba lost 2 inches off the screen because of the casing, but the MBP doesn't lose that much at all..

It's all down to personal preference though, what's amazing for me might not be for everyone else.

Your Dad seems like a wise man :wink:
Reply 79
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
To be honest, the screen seems big! Watching films is fine for me, but then again I've never been the type to get kicks from huge screens anyway so I guess I'm the wrong person to ask.. Certainly for everyday stuff it's fine. You should go to an Apple store and ask if you can have a go on it and just try it out properly. I moved from a 17inch Toshiba to a 13 inch Mac and just adapted straight away. It's not the biggest, but it uses the space well.

I bet my Toshiba lost 2 inches off the screen because of the casing, but the MBP doesn't lose that much at all..

It's all down to personal preference though, what's amazing for me might not be for everyone else.

Your Dad seems like a wise man :wink:

Ah okay, yeah my old laptop was a 17", so just looking at the 13" ones they seem so tiddly! But then my 17" laptop was such a chore to carry around, and use on my lap, that it pretty much became a desktop!

Okay so, this is the latest on the situation:
I spent most of yesterday convincing myself I didn't need an apple computer, and that just because my previous laptop disappointed me, it's not necessarily going to happen with my new one, and do I really want to spend so much money right before Uni. Especially when, if I went for a macbook, I know that I would prefer an imac, so it would seem a waste to spend so much money on an apple computer that is really my second choice!

So, now for the spanner in the works! Dad's been suggesting how about an iMac/iPad combo, which would mean I have a really lovely iMac in my room, and I can do most of my work on it, and then the iPad fulfills most of my general netbook requirements; internet on the go, very portable, would be good on the train for films/games, and theres plenty of handy educational apps for it, plus if you've got the iMac you can transfer all your work you do on your iPad when out and about straight onto that. I think this sounds super, because I get an awesome computer, and a fun one, for the same price as the macbook pro. It would mean I'd entrust my iMac to under my bed in halls when I go home, but I have faith in locks on doors! And, when compared to any other desktop, its just the one box, so could actually be brought home on the train if needs be. Buuut theres still the cost!

So Dad is now saying, how about he buys the iPad, and I buy the iMac... :biggrin: Must say, I'm veery veeery tempted. Its a £1000 chunk of my money gone, but I'm going to get a summer job, so may make some of it back, and if I look at it as a £250 per year I'm at uni, it doesnt seem like such a bad investment afterall.

So Tsr, what do you think? Should I go for an iMac/iPad combo for university? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending