The Student Room Group

Higher maths, 18th may 2011!

Hey! How is everyone feeling about the higher maths exam in just a week and a half? I'm panicking as it's my worst subject and I failed the prelim! I'm doing a heap of past papers and practise papers, because I really want to pass! I feel nervous just thinking about it!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm in a similar position, got a C5 in the prelim but am still terrified. It's easily my worst subject too so I've been putting a huge effort into revising for it. I really hope it's a fair paper and that I can pass :smile:

What does everyone think is going to come up?
Glad I'm not you guys. Good luck. :smile:
Reply 3
Good luck! I'm doing AH on the same day, I'm really worried!
Reply 4
I'm feelin okay bout it got an A in recent prelim but I'm scared tht I was just lucky tht day really hope it's a nice paper
Reply 5
I'm gonna walk into that exam hall, sit down and just cream the paper.

Spoiler

So glad I dropped it. :smile: Good luck guys hope you do well. I dropped in Feburary and did the post prelim last week for a laugh. I got 29% without doing maths for 2 months and with revising for the real prelim in Feburary I got 14% hahaha. My teacher was really annoyed with alot of people as some who are still doing higher got lower than me. Shows they haven't been revising. I was so happy to get that after 2 months.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Kelz_26
Good luck! I'm doing AH on the same day, I'm really worried!

Same, luckily I only need a C :cool:
Last year, Paper 1 was really easy, then you got Paper 2... :confused:

Luckily, got my A :colone: so doing Advanced this time - need a B! :eek:

good luck to everyone else :smile:
just thinking about it makes me feel incontinent lol
i got 60% in my prelim which is just a b and i really want an A because i really dont wanna let my maths teacher down and i used to be good at it back in the good old days on Int 2 :tongue:

i was speaking to one of the maths teachers tho and they had the paper for credit maths and it was apparently really difficult so lets hope SQA wont be evil with the higher too

good luck everone sitting it tho !
Reply 10
Original post by INeedToLoseWeight
Hey! How is everyone feeling about the higher maths exam in just a week and a half? I'm panicking as it's my worst subject and I failed the prelim! I'm doing a heap of past papers and practise papers, because I really want to pass! I feel nervous just thinking about it!

Maths is my second-strongest subject next to Graph Comm. Although I failed the prelim with 42%, I had much more time to revise for the "top-up" prelim which included Unit 3 which would be the one being used for appeal and ended up with 71% overall (only getting over 50% in the paper 2 though). Which meant I scraped an A, especially since I had to point out two marks to my teacher which I thought I should have got, which brought it up from 69 to 71% haha.

I've already worked through the Level A sections of the three TJ Publisher revision booklets for each of the three units, and they have really helped me refresh my knowledge and look at problems with a different approach. Now I'm just gonna do past papers and get more familiar with paper 2. :smile:

Good luck in your exam. It might be useful to go through all the units and topics in a systematic order though to make sure you cover everything. :smile:
Maths is so easy; it's just like adding numbers and subtracting numbers and dividing numbers and measuring angles and stuff like that innit yo.
Reply 12
i thought that last year was a good paper (ended up getting an A :biggrin:), but apparently they shoved some cheeky advanced higher questions into paper 2 according to my teachers.
good luck you guys!
The 2010 paper is a beast. Thank goodness it wasn't me doing it.
I got 72% on the 2008 one and then 90%(?!) for the 2007 paper so I'm starting to feel slightly more confident about the exam. An idea paper would have no optimization and nothing involving the double angle formula, but knowing my luck... :wink:
in 2003 i got 97% in this exam, average between exam and coursework. If i were to do this exam this year I bet you all i'd get 65%!

Note to everyone: you get dumber with age! It's all downhill after A-levels! (at least it was for me ) :s-smilie:

Edit: academia is pointless. There are no jobs around and i feel like i've wasted the last 6 years of my life :frown: [apart from the 5 months i travelled around the world]
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 15
Was anyone else attending the John Reid lecture at Appleton Tower a couple months ago?

He said 78% average for an A! :eek:
(edited 12 years ago)
Maths is the only subject I'm not freaking out about. Although I'm slightly worried about paper two. Paper 1 I always seem to finish half an hour early but paper to I just have enough time or I'm 1 question short of finishing. Wish I could transfer time onto the second paper or something!
Reply 17
Maths shouldn't be too hard imo, i got 78% in my prelims, passed all the nabs with more or less full marks, and got As in our 'A/B level' tests. Ive done the last 4 years past papers, and normally ease through paper 1 with >80%. However, in paper 2 there's always some at least 2 tricky questions.

Can't same i'm looking forward to it - i have higher french the day before - but it shouldn't be my hardest exam
Reply 18
Quite confident (Got 82% then 80% in prelims), just worried about problem-solving questions.
Original post by laughylolly
Maths is the only subject I'm not freaking out about. Although I'm slightly worried about paper two. Paper 1 I always seem to finish half an hour early but paper to I just have enough time or I'm 1 question short of finishing. Wish I could transfer time onto the second paper or something!

im the same ! i always get worried when i finish that early cos i think ive done it all wrong :P
i wish we got extra time for paper two cos thats what i struggle with and it take me about an hour and a half to finish

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending