The Student Room Group

Computer Science exam type?

so ive heard some computer science exams are as long as 3 hours long.
are these exams essay based? if yes or no, what sort of questions are they?
if it depends on the unis these r the ones im considering: imperial, ucl, soton, bristol, warwick etc...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Warwick student here.

My 3 hour exams are all mathematics exams, and most could be completed within 90 minutes with easy. I took 2 hours on my most recent one but that was with extensive checking of answers.

I think the 3 hour time limit is a more a generous thing rather than anything that may cause you an issue.

- Dan.
Reply 2
Original post by Sokka
yes you're right. eventhough i'm a gcse student, i've recently been checking the statistics edexcel papers which allow 2.5 hours to complete. I mean it's crazy! I think they allow that time limit so you can check answers because it's a very long exam, but judging by the grade boundaries (71/100 for an a*) i cant see why they would give that long. I completed most past papers in under 1.5 hours and had plenty of time checking - basically, these long exams have generous time limits which shouldn't cause a problem; infact, you should be happy to have that long if you know your stuff well ;]

I'm sorry but you can't really comment if your doing GSCE's
Reply 3
Original post by Sokka
freedom of speech ftw!! :biggrin:
ty for the neg-rep whoever that was. i really appreciate it

btw im kind of a gcse/a level student since im doing a level math in yr 11 too... so yh.

The question is asking about Computer Science exams at uni. Your GCSE and A-level exams are not relevant.
Reply 4
Original post by Sokka

btw im kind of a gcse/a level student since im doing a level math in yr 11 too... so yh.

i don't care, when you (2 years later) start your degree it's going to be massive jump up from A level Maths!
Reply 5
and are these exams essays or calculations?
im guessing theres a paper for different modules and a mixture of both?
thanks
Reply 6
Original post by roflcopter94
and are these exams essays or calculations?
im guessing theres a paper for different modules and a mixture of both?
thanks

i've had no essay questions in exams, they are all pretty much short to medium length questions
Reply 7
I think all my CS exams last year were 2 hours. They're all 2 hours this year. We don't really have essay style questions. One thing you'll notice when you go to uni (well, probably at least) is how broad computer science is. Right now you might wonder what more there can be etc.

But to answer your question, I haven't really had any "essay" questions. Theres be a few questions which maybe want a paragraph of text, but they're after facts, not beautifully written master pieces.

If you want I'll pm you some past papers.

Original post by Sokka

A-level / GCSE exams are nothing like University exams. I did my Maths A-level in year 10 and went to uni a year early, and even I found the exams different. I think primarily because they are different. It doesn't matter what year you sit what exams, because the exams are different to uni exams, they'll be different. Crazy that. Now go so do something worthy so people don't laugh at you when you try and be a cocky little ****e. Someone just got a first from Cardiff uni in Maths at the age of 12. I bet even he will find his GCSE/A-level exams are different to the uni exams.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Mirey
I think all my CS exams last year were 2 hours. They're all 2 hours this year. We don't really have essay style questions. One thing you'll notice when you go to uni (well, probably at least) is how broad computer science is. Right now you might wonder what more there can be etc.

But to answer your question, I haven't really had any "essay" questions. Theres be a few questions which maybe want a paragraph of text, but they're after facts, not beautifully written master pieces.

A-level / GCSE exams are nothing like University exams. I did my Maths A-level in year 10 and went to uni a year early, and even I found the exams different. I think primarily because they are different. It doesn't matter what year you sit what exams, because the exams are different to uni exams, they'll be different. Crazy that. Now go so do something worthy so people don't laugh at you when you try and be a cocky little ****e. Someone just got a first from Cardiff uni in Maths at the age of 12. I bet even he will find his GCSE/A-level exams are different to the uni exams.

Ahhh I would love if you could pm me some please, if you don't mind that is!

I want to see what I have let myself in for. :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by JackWoot
Ahhh I would love if you could pm me some please, if you don't mind that is!

I want to see what I have let myself in for. :biggrin:

done =]
Reply 10
Original post by Sokka
Are you still talking about that jheeze! If uni is so different, don't you have exams to revise for or SOMETHING...

by the way, that someone who got a first from cardiff uni was 15. He got his a level math at 12. get your facts right -.-

Does it matter? There are a number of people who get their degrees at a young age.

And no, I'm too bad ass to revise. It would be unfair to the other kids.
Reply 11
Original post by Mirey

Thanks dude, what i was looking for :smile:
can you please send me a past paper as well just so I can get a feel for what sort of questions are asked.
thanks again
Reply 12
Original post by Mirey

Hi, can you also send me some past papers? Thanks. I actually made a thread similar to this.
Reply 13
Original post by nigel123
Hi, can you also send me some past papers? Thanks. I actually made a thread similar to this.

done
Reply 14
They're never longer than 2 hours in my case. 80% module mark exams are 2 hours, and you choose 4 out of 6 questions to answer. 50% module mark exams are 1.5 hours, and you choose 3 out of 4 questions to answer. Each question is worth 25 marks. Questions are split into sub-questions which could be anything from 1 mark to 20 marks each. Some are textual answers, some require maths, some require diagrams, etc. Depends hugely on which module the exam is for.

I can send you a load too if you'd like - let me know if so.
Reply 15
Original post by Mirey
done

I know this is getting repetitive, but I am extremely curious to see these too! Could you please send them to me as well? :biggrin:
Reply 16
Original post by alexmsf
I know this is getting repetitive, but I am extremely curious to see these too! Could you please send them to me as well? :biggrin:

lol, I just copy and pasted the same response to everyone ;p
Reply 17
Original post by Mirey
lol, I just copy and pasted the same response to everyone ;p

:o:o any chances for the pm as well?
I'd love a pm too if that's ok! Thanks!
Any chances someone could pm me as well? Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending