The Student Room Group

AS Biology A GRADE?!?

Hey people, basically I got a low/mid C on my AS Biology ISA this year, raw mark = 32/50 and i really need an A overall in biology this year, so I'll have to get over 90% on the upcoming Unit 1 and Unit 2 exams next week. Is this possible?! :frown: Any tips for scoring exceptionally high on Biology exam? (Exam Board: AQA)
Please reply asap! Exams are round the corner:\
Reply 1
eh?

i thought 32 was a solid B
Reply 2
oops ignore me...im talking wrong exam board lool
Reply 3
Remember that the ISA doesn't account for as many marks as your unit 1 and 2. But not having a good ISA grade makes getting an A that bit harder. It's definitely possible, just make sure you do all your revision!
Reply 4
nope, teacher told me its a C ..i checkd the website too & they dont change much from year to year
Reply 5
Biology? AQA?

I'd just like to say one word and that is:

Shrew

(No matter how much you revise it is unlikely that they will test you on it and instead ask you to draw a bubble graph or something to do with spearmans rank that will make you drop down a grade or two).

Ah, A level biology :rolleyes:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Eloades11
Remember that the ISA doesn't account for as many marks as your unit 1 and 2. But not having a good ISA grade makes getting an A that bit harder. It's definitely possible, just make sure you do all your revision!

yeaah true it'll just bring my exam scores down unless i score exceptionally well:\
any tips on AQA biology exam? its really applied biology:frown:
Reply 7
Original post by ilyking
Biology? AQA?

I'd just like to say one word and that is:

Shrew

(No matter how much you revise it is unlikely that they will test you on it and instead ask you two draw a bubble graphs or something to do with spearmans rank that will make you drop down a grade or two).

Ah, A level biology :rolleyes:

yeah it is really applied but theres gotta be some sort of preperation you can do for it?
Reply 8
Original post by peace345
yeaah true it'll just bring my exam scores down unless i score exceptionally well:\

ISA's are hard though, so you should ignore that mark in terms of focusing for your exams. Just aim to score as many marks as you can, if you go in aiming for a B(not suggesting you, personally, are), then you are more likely to flop your exams. It's a weird psychological effect which I don't understand. Anyway just aim for top marks, most people don't, and end up getting less than what they deserve.

For AQA, if you have the nelson thornes book, then do every question the book asks, from summary questions to end of chapter questions. There are even How Science Works questions, which are very useful, there are a lot of HSW questions in the AQA Biology exams. I also believe the CGP book has past paper questions which are really useful to work through.

Not as AS- at AS a few more of the marks are on recall. So know your stuff confidently so you can a) regurgitate it and b) apply it. Get lots of sleep the night before the exam because the questions can be annoyingly worded and it takes energy to figure things out. Take a highlighter into the exam and highlight key words in the question- make sure you answer the question!

Master exam technique:

-> remember that correlation doesn't imply causation, try to think of an alternative cause and point out anomalies in the data or say that the independent factor needs to be isolated and tested against the dependent factor.

-> When answering a question, use the numbers in the data given to you.

-> One mark = one point generally.

-> Don't ramble on too much- this can put the examiner off and you can end up contradicting yourself.

-> Learn your key words.

-> With haemoglobin questions the answer should generally be like this: if the question says something about an animal that lives high up a mountain or at the bottom of the sea compared to one that lives at groundlevel make these points:

o There is less oxygen at the top of a mountain/bottom of sea/in the womb etc.
o Therefore the oxygen dissociation curve is shifted to the left (left = load (as in loads oxygen more easily) and right = reduced (as in reduced affinity for oxygen), meaning haemoglobin has greater affinity for oxygen.
o Meaning animal x can pick up more oxygen than animal y at a lower partial pressure of oxygen.

-> Remember there's a difference between explain and desribe- describe just means tell the examiner what the data shows, explain it means... well, that you need to explain it. :p:

-> Sometimes the answer seems so simple that it can't be the answer- but go with your instincts.
Reply 10
Original post by Unbiased Opinion
Not as AS- at AS a few more of the marks are on recall. So know your stuff confidently so you can a) regurgitate it and b) apply it. Get lots of sleep the night before the exam because the questions can be annoyingly worded and it takes energy to figure things out. Take a highlighter into the exam and highlight key words in the question- make sure you answer the question!

Master exam technique:

-> remember that correlation doesn't imply causation, try to think of an alternative cause and point out anomalies in the data or say that the independent factor needs to be isolated and tested against the dependent factor.

-> When answering a question, use the numbers in the data given to you.

-> One mark = one point generally.

-> Don't ramble on too much- this can put the examiner off and you can end up contradicting yourself.

-> Learn your key words.

-> With haemoglobin questions the answer should generally be like this: if the question says something about an animal that lives high up a mountain or at the bottom of the sea compared to one that lives at groundlevel make these points:

o There is less oxygen at the top of a mountain/bottom of sea/in the womb etc.
o Therefore the oxygen dissociation curve is shifted to the left (left = load (as in loads oxygen more easily) and right = reduced (as in reduced affinity for oxygen), meaning haemoglobin has greater affinity for oxygen.
o Meaning animal x can pick up more oxygen than animal y at a lower partial pressure of oxygen.

-> Remember there's a difference between explain and desribe- describe just means tell the examiner what the data shows, explain it means... well, that you need to explain it. :p:

-> Sometimes the answer seems so simple that it can't be the answer- but go with your instincts.

thanks!! hopefully theres still time to get this A in the bag!
thanks!! hopefully theres still time to get this A in the bag!

You'll be fine. :smile: Work hard, have faith in yourself and you'll be happy come August.
yow dude
mke sure u revse first of all
do every paper of aqa biol u cn fnd
cmpre dn to the mrkscheme
look at the examiners answer and urz
cmpre nd learn frm ur mistakes
and last of all have faith
believe in urself
gud lk
Reply 13
thanks! 1 week till first bio exam aaah:\
how much revision u all done?!