The Student Room Group

Jobs working for the EU

As I understand it, if you want to apply for any jobs within the EU you have to wait for certain times of the year when the relevant competitions open and then apply through them (all on the EPSO website). Is this the pathway to any possible jobs within the EU, including all the institutions such as the European Commission/Parliament/etc ? If you do manage to get a place through a competition, you are not immediately guaranteed a job are you? You get put on a list or something and have to wait to get a position... I've read as much as I can about it all on the internet but am still feeling a bit confused, probably my exam frazzled brain.
There are no other ways of applying for jobs, is there? Oh, apart from the European Fast Stream.
Original post by flowerings
As I understand it, if you want to apply for any jobs within the EU you have to wait for certain times of the year when the relevant competitions open and then apply through them (all on the EPSO website). Is this the pathway to any possible jobs within the EU, including all the institutions such as the European Commission/Parliament/etc ? If you do manage to get a place through a competition, you are not immediately guaranteed a job are you? You get put on a list or something and have to wait to get a position... I've read as much as I can about it all on the internet but am still feeling a bit confused, probably my exam frazzled brain.
There are no other ways of applying for jobs, is there? Oh, apart from the European Fast Stream.

Keep me updated!..I would like to do this next year..
Reply 2
Original post by flowerings
There are no other ways of applying for jobs, is there?

There is, you can apply directly at European Careers, I'm not 100% on whether they have a scheme though as I have only started looking myself as it never occurred to me that working in the EU would be an option if I can get it right first time :tongue:
Reply 3
There is the stagiere program as well.
Reply 4
I applied in the most recent competition for administrators- which is the AD5 level for degree holders with no experience (if you have some experience I believe the right level is AD7). I applied for the economics-role. This is the website to keep an eye on: http://europa.eu/epso/apply/today/adm_en.htm . I did the first EPSO-test and we are expected to get the results at the end of June.

I think this is the best way to apply. Not sure if there are other ways to get a job at the EU..

oh and also, there is an official EU Careers-facebook group, where they regularly give updates about competitions and answer questions. http://www.facebook.com/pages/EU-Careers/298387676087 I'm sure you can ask them about other ways of applying, they usually seem to respond pretty promptly.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Once-yearly AD5 competitions, or occasional temporary agent (CAST) positions. Both are incredibly competitive though.

The stagiaire programme is a great experience if you can get one. Basically a 6-month internship, though there's hundreds of people in the same boat so it can be a lot of fun. Note that it's badly paid if you get anything, so you need to be able to support yourself. I applied for everything I saw and ended up getting a place at the Committee of the Regions (one of the lesser-known EU institutions), which was a great experience and also a foot in the door for future jobs through contacts...

Of course, go for the permanent job offers (the AD5 competitions), but don't count on it as the odds are crazily small. Slightly sad to say, but the best way to get a future job in Brussels seems to be to get yourself out there any way you can, make lots of contacts and take it from there.
Reply 6
If you want to work for MEPs, apply to them directly. My ex boyfriend just sent his CV to all Labour MEPs when he was third year at uni, and upon graduation he got a paid internship for one of them, which later became an employment.

Otherwise, look at this http://eurobrussels.com/jobs/internship
EurActiv is also a good site to check out for EU-centred jobs.

As far as wiggling around the concours, I don't really know of a way. Some of the EEAS bureaus do offer unpaid internships independent of the system; sometimes they're advertised on w4mp, and sometimes you just need to know people. Thailand and Nepal have both been looking for unpaid interns recently.

Like synvilla said, working for an MEP is also a great option.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending