Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Aching after the gym

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I've been going to the gym for a few months now to try and bulk up a bit but I'm consistently having the problem of feeling sore for 2 or sometimes even 3 days after I've been. I'm not particularly strong so I never pump the weight up on the machines very high but I still end up aching regardless. Is there a decent way to reduce this or stop it happening completely?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I like aching when I've been to the gym... makes me feel like I had a decent workout!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    look up DOMS, delayed onset muscle soreness, consume protein post workout, either in food or supplement form, also carbs
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    My experience is that this ALWAYS happens when you're working muscles hard. No pain, no gain
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Man-in-the-Moon)
    I've been going to the gym for a few months now to try and bulk up a bit but I'm consistently having the problem of feeling sore for 2 or sometimes even 3 days after I've been. I'm not particularly strong so I never pump the weight up on the machines very high but I still end up aching regardless. Is there a decent way to reduce this or stop it happening completely?
    DOMS. Stretch after your workout and make sure you eat as soon as possible afterwards.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    To all saying it means a good workout, I agree, but it means if the aches do last for 2 or 3 days then I never feel like going back to the gym until it's completely gone, and I plan on going more often after my exams are over.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd feel as if I'd had a crap workout if I wasn't sore for at least a couple of days afterwards.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iainthegreat)
    DOMS. Stretch after your workout and make sure you eat as soon as possible afterwards.
    Streching or warming up have shown not to prevent soreness.
    Saunas can help speed of recovery as well as getting back to the gym.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    your diet isnt good enough or you dont sleep enough.

get at least 100g of protein and make sure you get alot of calories.

sleep for at least 8 hours and let yor muslces recover between workouts.

oh and ...free weights >>>>> machines
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .[s)
    tomo[/s].;31362915]Streching or warming up have shown not to prevent soreness.
    Saunas can help speed of recovery as well as getting back to the gym.
    Stretching afterwards, from experience, definitely makes a difference.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, get on the protein shakes. Maybe a swim after your workout too.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    If it's soreness in the legs, walking lightly for around twenty minutes should help with blood circulation and help reduce the soreness
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i say stretch the muscle properly before you lift, especially if your going to go heavy
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Stretching before and afterwards?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Definitely stretch after a workout as has been mentioned in here a few times. Nobody in my gym seems to stretch/warm down after a workout so I tend to look a bit silly going through stretches but it's certainly worth it if you plan on going 3+ times a week.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Goddammit. Stop using machines and use freeweights instead.
    High weight low rep. Starting strength.

Now, for your question.
    DOMS is good. That aching feeling means you've been working hard. If you keep going to the gym up it will fade and you'll hardly notice it unless you do an exercise you're not used to.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iainthegreat)
    Stretching afterwards, from experience, definitely makes a difference.
    Yeah, some people say it helps, some say it doesn't. I find it adversely affects me my friend doing a PhD at Loughborough says the evidence on stretching is inconclusive, so I think people should just do what works best for them as there doesn't appear to be a proper answer.

I find that it's a good sign and I always ache for a couple of days (but with my left shoulder hurting for longer than the other muscles, not quite sure why this always happens).
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by little_wizard123)
    Yeah, some people say it helps, some say it doesn't. I find it adversely affects me my friend doing a PhD at Loughborough says the evidence on stretching is inconclusive, so I think people should just do what works best for them as there doesn't appear to be a proper answer.

I find that it's a good sign and I always ache for a couple of days (but with my left shoulder hurting for longer than the other muscles, not quite sure why this always happens).
    Fair enough, yeah each to their own, I find it helps so I'll keep doing it. I need to improve my flexibility so stretching is probably a good idea for me.

And I see you're at Lufbra as well, me too.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I get this as well, but what you'll find is, the more your body gets used to doing something, the less it'll start to hurt.

Things are bound to feel odd at first.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Also, if it's your arms in particular that are aching, try stretching them first, and then some light starjumps. The soreness should fade once your body adapts to it all.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 12, 2011
New on TSR

THE world university rankings 2014-2015 revealed

Will they affect your uni choices?

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.