The Student Room Group

D1 EDEXCEL -> 20th MAY 2011 EXAM THREAD+Paper & Solutions in 1st Post

Scroll to see replies

Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain
https://rapidshare.com/files/611017682/all_d1.zip

Just sent these to fudgezilla but should be useful for everyone =)

Thank you. :smile:
Reply 41
Can anyone explain the matchings chapter, i missed that week in college and i just cant seem to understand it from the book :frown:
Reply 42
Original post by ilyking
why don't you just draw it, use your ruler and go across the page and the last vertex is the maximum? I'm pretty sure you don't have to check every corner

yeah i do that at the end but im just too used to vertex testing :P , so at the end i have just under half an hour to check and drawing a profit line is something i'd do to confirm my answer
Reply 43
Original post by sickomann
Can anyone explain the matchings chapter, i missed that week in college and i just cant seem to understand it from the book :frown:

which parttt?
Reply 44
Original post by ad2010
which parttt?

preferably the whole thing :frown: i kinda get whats going on, but how do i get the first matching and the maximum mathing
Reply 45
preferably the whole thing :frown: i kinda get whats going on, but how do i get the first matching and the maximum mathing

try out these notes :smile:
http://integralmaths.org/resources/file.php/19/D1_Edexcel_2008/2_Graphs/Section_2/EdExceld1g2n.pdf
if they don't make sense either then i'll explain :smile:
Reply 46
Original post by ad2010
http://integralmaths.org/resources/file.php/19/D1_Edexcel_2008/2_Graphs/Section_2/EdExceld1g2n.pdf

It needs me to be logged in D:
Reply 47
Original post by ad2010

It requires a login D:
Reply 48
it wont let me open the link without login details D;
Reply 49
Original post by Willdearn
what so just write the first letter instead of the full names?
Yeah i think so it makes it so much easier

no, im talking about linking the letters:

so a=1, b=2, c=3..... z=26.

I can't order letters, but I can order numbers much more easily
Reply 50
aha thanks :tongue: ill give this a read and if it still makes as much sense as a noodle house, ill post :smile:

(quote feature isnt working so soz for the inconvenience)
Reply 51
Original post by ilyking

yeah that's what I was talking about, my teacher said not to do that because it takes up too much time and defeats the purpose of using the sort somehow, it's better to just use the first letter of what they give you, sort it that wayy.
Reply 52
aha thanks :tongue: ill give this a read and if it still makes as much sense as a noodle house, ill post :smile:

(quote feature isnt working so soz for the inconvenience)

okayy :smile:
D1 isn't that hard. It's just about timing and making sure you don't miss up one of the questions because you could lose loads of marks. I'm sitting it alongside my GCSE's so it should be fine. Good luck!
Reply 54
both the ruler/objective line and vertex methods are specified in the syllabus therefore its risky only learning one, i prefer the vertex method myself, its more logical, also learn some crucial definitions as they have come up in the past. With linear programming, if the question is in context and you need to find optimal points, make sure you're points are integers because in the may 2009 paper the question did not specify but the mark scheme states that you have to for the last mark
Reply 55
Original post by ilyking

haha oh I see what you mean
Reply 56
Original post by giraffegiraffe
i think you can do the branch thing and then just go along one of the branches til you hit breakthrough. then you dont need to carry on or still do the second branch. :smile:

oh ok thanks
Reply 57
also - on linear programming graphs, on inequality lines does it matter if we shade the side of the line that we want, as long as we label the feasible region? (or does it have to be shading the side of the line that you dont want) - unless the Q says specifically?

Shade out to be sure.
Reply 58
that is a good point- if it is something like selling cakes and you 'cant have 0.7 of a cake' then round to the next integer value which would still fit in the feasible region ... right?

there are two ways of doing it one is to select the last solution covered by the objective line as it leaves the feasible region(maximise) or as it enters the feasible region(minimise), I don't bother with objective lines unless the question specifically asks for it, the second method for those of you who prefer vertex testing is to test the integer solutions that are close to the optimal(non integer) solution, for example if your non integer solution is (4.5, 5.5), Test (4,5), (4,6) (5,5) and (5,6), (Also check that these integer solutions that are being tested lie in the feasible region, if they are not you do not need to test them) and the one with the lowest or highest(minimise or maximise, depending on what your asked) outcome when substituted into the equation is the optimal integer solution. Also method 1 will not work if the feasible region isn't sufficiently clear to identify integer solutions accurately.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 59
Does anyone know the grade boundaries for last year?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending