The Student Room Group

help with this Marxist question

I dont really understand this question. can anyone help?

According to Marxists, what effects on the proletariats mental health do inequalities have?
Reply 1
oswy
x

If that works you should have an answer soon. Not sure if he'd consider himself a Marxist but he's pretty much the TSR communist so...
Reply 2
Original post by Steevee
If that works you should have an answer soon. Not sure if he'd consider himself a Marxist but he's pretty much the TSR communist so...

Thanks! Hope he answers soon!
Reply 3
Original post by costaerer
I dont really understand this question. can anyone help?

According to Marxists, what effects on the proletariats mental health do inequalities have?

Insofar as the question is about material inequalities then those which involve a shortfall in basic human needs, like those for food, water, clothing, shelter and so on, these will easily effect the mental health of those suffering such absences - the brain is a physical organ and requires constant material sustenance. Beyond the obvious likely impact on brain function at the most basic level (you can't think straight when you're hungry) we shouldn't be surprised to find that those who are routinely short of the above needs develop corresponding mental health problems like depression and anxiety, relationship problems and so on. It's not my area but I suspect that there's plenty of literature in the field on how things like poor nutrition or homelessness generate harmful psychological conditions through their physical effects. Unemployment, for example, has long been recognsied as generating depression.

The question probably also wants you to discuss what might be called 'non-need' inequalities, e.g. when someone has a bigger or faster car than you - here you might want to think about human dispositions as social animals with, arguably, an orientation towards what is perceived as 'fair' and 'unfair' inequalities and the mental health issues which might be generated by a sense of grievance in such matters.

All the best.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending