The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Engineering at Manchester

Hello guys...i was wondering whether mechanical engineering with management (Beng) program is accredited by the associacionts of engineers or something like that...
Reply 1
Original post by domen.frandolic
Hello guys...i was wondering whether mechanical engineering with management (Beng) program is accredited by the associacionts of engineers or something like that...

It is IMechE accredited.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
great man...is there a lot of competition for that course?you know anything more?good contacts with employer internationally?cheers
Reply 3
great man...is there a lot of competition for that course?you know anything more?good contacts with employer internationally?cheers

I don't think there is much competition for the course I know people who didn't make their offers but still got places.

Employer contacts are reasonable there are big careers fairs organised by the Uni every year. It was at one of these that I first got in contact with my current employer. I would say overall careers is one of Manchester's strong points but The School of Mechanical, Aero and Civil Engineering (MACE) doesn't really have anything to do with that.

http://www.careers.manchester.ac.uk/students/events/fairs/

Doing "with Management" is an easier option than straight Mech Eng as it means you don't have to do the time consuming "Computer Modelling & Simulation" modules which often have several pieces of coursework. Although it can leave you disadvantaged at some points as other modules assume prior knowledge from Mod Sim which you will not have.
so you are saying the mech and aero departments are not related with good employers-dont have strong links?but for instance...i was thinking of doing the Beng of mech with management 3 years...doing 6 months exchange with mcgill or british columbia...and then the fourth year doing a MSc in engineering either at imperial or at cambridge university (if my degree will be a 2:1)..do you think the mentioned things are OK?
Reply 5
so you are saying the mech and aero departments are not related with good employers-dont have strong links?but for instance...i was thinking of doing the Beng of mech with management 3 years...doing 6 months exchange with mcgill or british columbia...and then the fourth year doing a MSc in engineering either at imperial or at cambridge university (if my degree will be a 2:1)..do you think the mentioned things are OK?

No, what he's saying is that there is a huge careers fair that's organised by an independent organisation which is for UoM & MMU students, and a vast majority of companies are present in this careers fair as they are interested in the talent pool that is available.
As far as MACE specifically is concerned the industry connections are fairly strong, there are talks etc organised by the university (eg: https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=146899818709543) but the university will never help the student in making the first contact to employers. Another example of the closeness between the industry and the course is by the choices of the dissertations you can do. There are about 5 dissertation choices available that are directly linked to the industry, such as:

"This project will collaborate with Rolls-Royce & BAE Systems to develop a portable surface cleanliness measurement device....The purpose of the project is to turn the laboratory device into an industrial portable and reliable system..."
note: not the whole dissertation topic, but it gives you the jist.
Reply 6
did anyone hear about the postgraduate msc management of projects in civil engineering?????

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending