The Student Room Group

Moving away for university

I'll be leaving home to go to University in September and basically I'm skint. I also don't have a job a the moment. I was wondering if people could give me a vague idea of roughly how much I should have saved up before I go to uni? I'm in Scotland so I don't need to pay tuition fees (thank God) but I wanted to know about the costs of living, going out, books etc.
i only saved up a couple of hundred to be honest, i was pretty broke after driving lessons and test etc haha.

probably spend £15 - £20 food shop a week
then an extra £5-£10 getting lunch on campus or take aways :P
i spend £10 - £20 on a night out (often in freshers)
books at the beginning of uni might cost you £100-£200 depending on your course and how many books you need to get. buy them off amazon not the university book store.
then whatever extra you spend on clothes and other bits and bobs, which doesnt have to be much.
then rent. which i'm assuming you'll have a maintenance loan for :smile:

you may want to try and get hold of some money from freshers haha, msot people dont go overboard, but even i spent nearly £100 that week haha. i know someone who spent £800 :O

so total first year spending per week for everything, in general (sometimes more, sometimes less, obv) = £60
second year average = £30 (because i havent been out for months and have learnt how to food shop efficiently, and am broke so cutting down on everything costs XD)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by WeekendOffender
I'll be leaving home to go to University in September and basically I'm skint. I also don't have a job a the moment. I was wondering if people could give me a vague idea of roughly how much I should have saved up before I go to uni? I'm in Scotland so I don't need to pay tuition fees (thank God) but I wanted to know about the costs of living, going out, books etc.

Which uni, which course, which town?
Original post by CameraGirl
i only saved up a couple of hundred to be honest, i was pretty broke after driving lessons and test etc haha.

probably spend £15 - £20 food shop a week
then an extra £5-£10 getting lunch on campus or take aways :P
i spend £10 - £20 on a night out (often in freshers)
books at the beginning of uni might cost you £100-£200 depending on your course and how many books you need to get. buy them off amazon not the university book store.
then whatever extra you spend on clothes and other bits and bobs, which doesnt have to be much.
then rent. which i'm assuming you'll have a maintenance loan for :smile:

you may want to try and get hold of some money from freshers haha, msot people dont go overboard, but even i spent nearly £100 that week haha. i know someone who spent £800 :O

so total first year spending per week for everything, in general (sometimes more, sometimes less, obv) = £60
second year average = £30 (because i havent been out for months and have learnt how to food shop efficiently, and am broke so cutting down on everything costs XD)

£10 or £20 on a night out? That's a miracle! Well done. I've recently done driving lessons as well and that's the main reason why money's lacking at the moment. Thank you for your help :smile:

flown_muse, University of Edinburgh to do Psychology. I'm aware that Edinburgh is very expensive which makes matters even worse.
£10 or £20 on a night out? That's a miracle! Well done. I've recently done driving lessons as well and that's the main reason why money's lacking at the moment. Thank you for your help :smile:

flown_muse, University of Edinburgh to do Psychology. I'm aware that Edinburgh is very expensive which makes matters even worse.

Hm. Well for Psychology I presume you will have quite a lot of books, so you would need to factor that in.
Are you going to be in halls or in private accomodation? If in halls you should be able to find rough costs on their website or in Edinburgh forum, and find out if internet, gas, elec are included in that cost. If private accomodation you'll need to factor in travel to uni too.

Remember your monthly costs like mobile phone contract etc too.

Um... Only other thing I can think of is one-off costs like all the stuff you'll need to bring with you unless you are staying at home. Rest just depends on what you are like socially me thinks :smile:

I'm at Reading which is quite expensive as far as university cities/towns go so thought it might be useful haha.
yeah i'm quite a lightweight, i rarely spend more then £10 including entry :P but it's student nights so entry is only a couple of pounds and drinks are cheaper :smile: you have to learn which nights to go out and where to go then its easy haha :P and always pre--drinking! cheaper and effective :P haha

no problem, good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest