The Student Room Group

Will my GCSE's harm me much for my aspirations to become a dentist?

Hi I'm in year 11 now and I've been aiming to be dentist for quite a while now. I was wondering if my gcse's will make the challenge much harder on me to become a dentist.

My gcse's will be:
Math: A* got in y10
Core Science: A* got in y10 almost perfect marks
Additional Science: gonna get A*
Statistics: Gonna get A*
English: Got A retaking monday. I'm quite sure I won't get A*.
English Literature: Taking 2 weeks from now. A easily, A* almost impossible.
History: Going to get A/A* borderline.
Media: gonna get A
Media double reward: gonna get A
ICT Btec: Distinction Star
Business Btec: Failing atm < QUESTION DOES THIS MATTER SHOULD I GET DISTINCTION?

So in summary I will get 4 a*'s and 5 a's minimum (will be hard to get more).

I really screwed these two years up as I did almost absolutely nothing (didn't really revise much) but slept/dozed off in classes not caring and I moved to England from USA to enter Y10.

I don't have much extra curicular really that I can get credit from since I only bmx loads, play a tiny bit of guitar, play around with toothpicks+glue art type stuff, and I've done 2 weeks of shadowing/work experience at dentist so far (will aim for over 2 months before I apply in Y13)

Many people tell me it won't be good enough, my gcses are done at a ****ty school that opened like 2-3 years ago and I'm best in school somehow :/.. I've been discouraged as many say these gcses will be very weak and make my chances diminish very much.

Any advice and answers to my questions will be greatly appreciated.

Oh yeah btw for A levels I'm sure I can manage majority of them A*'s
you'll do fine, all they ask is that you have 5 passing grade GCSEs and that you have a B in Maths Science and English. To do a-levels you just need at least Bs at GCSE in the subjects you want to do 4 ur Alevels I suggest you do bio chem and maths thats what quite a few unis are wanting. And for uni u need basically As. =) hope that helped x
Reply 2
Dentists aren't even real doctors >.>
Reply 3
Original post by POWW!
Dentists aren't even real doctors >.>

yet the school is probably just as hard and just as competitive.. Anyway when did I say they're doctors? I'm interested in being a dentist, not a doctor, but thanks for telling me this important detail. Thanks lovely lady for helping :smile: Would like some more insight about this if anyone is willing to read that block of text O.O.
Reply 4
Original post by Domxmb
yet the school is probably just as hard and just as competitive.. Anyway when did I say they're doctors? I'm interested in being a dentist, not a doctor, but thanks for telling me this important detail. Thanks lovely lady for helping :smile: Would like some more insight about this if anyone is willing to read that block of text O.O.

I'm sorry I just make stupid stupid statements to answers stupid questions.
Did you know a dentist is also known as a 'dental surgeon' and that's a doctor so...
Poww chillax no need to get so snarky =)..if you want more info look at the requirements for dentistry at several unis u might be interested in. =)
Reply 6
Original post by lovelylilady
Poww chillax no need to get so snarky =)..if you want more info look at the requirements for dentistry at several unis u might be interested in. =)

Yeah I looked into all that stuff but I've read also since it's very competitive gcse's become very important (much more so than what the requirements read for them) and I'm interested in if my gcse's are too weak to be a competitive candidate.
ur getting pretty much the best you can, alot of it is based on your personal statement, you should try and get some work experience related over the next few years, the unis want to see that you are serious and dedicated to being a dentist =)
Reply 8
one does not simply walk into mordor
Reply 9
You'll be fine, those are great grades.
Reply 10
Original post by Domxmb
Yeah I looked into all that stuff but I've read also since it's very competitive gcse's become very important (much more so than what the requirements read for them) and I'm interested in if my gcse's are too weak to be a competitive candidate.

GCSE's aren't important, just get the minimum.

There are alot more important aspects to concentrate on. A levels, work experience and your personal statement are alot more important. Get them and you'll be fine. Maybe a small open university course over summer if your're worried but you shouldn't be
This annoys me, shut up crying over your GCSEs obviously your clever and no it wont harm your aspirations to be a dentist. You need A-Levels to get into a good University and GCSE is a stepping stone and nothing much more. So just get a good mark in the Sciences and Maths and you'll be fine.
Reply 12
Clearly if your getting A's/A*'s for most subjects, why would you think your dreams would be tarnished?

Quick Reply

Latest