The Student Room Group

Integrate this pleasee...

okay it might be obvious to some but for some reason i'm coming up blank with this....

integral x - (3/x^2) dx

suppose it would be said 'integrate x minus (three x over x squared)'
sorry i cant copy and paste it, i have it infront of me as a hard copy:tongue:
Well, you know you can split the integral up, for a start. After that you can evaluate each seperately. The second one would be a little tricker, mind you... just think of it as reverse differentiation.

What function ff do you need so that when you differentiate ff you get the expression in the integral?

Spoiler

Reply 2
Integrate x, gives you 1/2 x^2
Integrate - 3/x^2, gives you 3/x

Add them up (x^3 + 6)/2x

edit for the forgotten - sign
(edited 12 years ago)
Can you use your knowledge of indices to write 3/x^2 in a way you can integrate it?
Reply 4
Original post by wanderlust.xx
Well, you know you can split the integral up, for a start. After that you can evaluate each seperately. The second one would be a little tricker, mind you... just think of it as reverse differentiation.

What function ff do you need so that when you differentiate ff you get the expression in the integral?

Spoiler

eek you've lost me!! are we doing this on AS terms??
i'm confused as to what to do with the second bit of it cos wouldnt you get like
3/x^3/3?? :s-smilie: :s-smilie:
Read my post stephie.
Reply 6
Original post by Mr M
Read my post stephie.

well is 3 the same as 3x^0??
so 3/x^2 = 3x^-2??
Original post by stephie.u3
well is 3 the same as 3x^0??
so 3/x^2 = 3x^-2??

That is correct.

Now integrate term by term (add one to the power and divide by the new power).
Reply 8
Can you integrate - 3x^-2 ?
Reply 10
Original post by Mr M
That is correct.

Now integrate term by term (add one to the power and divide by the new power).

3x^-2 --> (3x^-1)/-1 ??
3x^-2 --> (3x^-1)/-1 ??

yes, don't forget there was another term in the original question and there will be a constant of integration too
Original post by Nima944
Can you integrate - 3x^-2 ?

3x^-1 + c

can't tell if that first dash is a minus sign or not
Reply 13
Original post by Mr M
yes, don't forget there was another term in the original question and there will be a constant of integration too

wow thankyouu...i hadnt even thought of looking at it that way!! genius:biggrin:
wow thankyouu...i hadnt even thought of looking at it that way!! genius:biggrin:

This is one of the reasons why you spent time getting to grips with indices in Core 1.
Reply 15
Original post by Mr M
This is one of the reasons why you spent time getting to grips with indices in Core 1.

ah but my brain wasnt programmed to look at it as an indices question further than just adding 1 to the power...its just not how i see things and i guess its the reason i struggle to answer exam questions:frown:
Original post by Mr M
Can you use your knowledge of indices to write 3/x^2 in a way you can integrate it?

i dont understand this step, can i have more clarity please :smile:
Original post by Mr M notice me
i dont understand this step, can i have more clarity please :smile:

I'm pretending not to notice the stalkerish name.

3x2=3x2\displaystyle \frac{3}{x^2}=3x^{-2}

Quick Reply

Latest