The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

guest1984

So, anyone know any gifted student?

yes, loads of my classmates get gifts for xmas :smile:
Reply 41
mangomaz
I disagree...there are people for example that are talented at music and there are people who are gifted. Theres a huge difference!

But surely "gifted" and "talented" are the same? There's no semantical difference, as far as I know.

The only difference in educational jargon is that one means you're good at passing exams, one means you're good with music/sport/drama.

Both are very far away from the sort of exceptionality that Newton or Einstein had.
gifted in the strict sense of the word means

someone who has been given a gift

that could b beauty, common sense, taste, physical perfomance, intelligence, and just about everything i guess
Reply 43
nicolo
gifted in the strict sense of the word means

someone who has been given a gift

that could b beauty, common sense, taste, physical perfomance, intelligence, and just about everything i guess

This is true. I apologise.
no need to :p: i was just thinkin, didnt mean to contradict anyone :redface:
Reply 45
Princess Ana
But surely "gifted" and "talented" are the same? There's no semantical difference, as far as I know.

The only difference in educational jargon is that one means you're good at passing exams, one means you're good with music/sport/drama.

Both are very far away from the sort of exceptionality that Newton or Einstein had.

A talented musician can I dont know.. get a distinction at grade 8 piano when they're 16. They have a very high aptitude for it. A gifted musician will do the same when they're say, 8 years old. Thats just an example I've made up :p:
Exactly. A gifted person usually has a natural aptitude for something, requiring little tuition to acheive it, whether it be academically, musically, or athletically.
Gifted? Well academically no i'm not particularly gifted but im very gifted at sport - county level badminton and tennis, good standard at table tennis and football too.

Gifted academically? There was one bloke in a politics class two years back now, in my first year at university and he was just out of this world...pretty mesmerizing (sp inc?).
Reply 48
Happy Cycling
Exactly. A gifted person usually has a natural aptitude for something, requiring little tuition to acheive it, whether it be academically, musically, or athletically.

Define talented then.
Ive never met anyone i would describe as naturally gifted.
Giftedness to me has been about ability - I would happily class a drop-out with amazing perception of scientific facts above someone who, if the serendipity hadn't struck them, would be at best a good scientist. A lot of people would disagree and many people I know believe that if potential isn't cashed in as a person progresses through life, then they no longer count. That to me is greatness or eminence; it has nothing to do with being gifted.

If someone's raw ability is such that they are not only better than their peer group but seem to be able to act with fluency that just seems natural, that's a gift. I don't think you can tell it on qualifications alone, which by their very nature are a benchmark for the average student. Gifted people are anything but average.

--------------

Princess Ana
Define talented then.

To me, those who are gifted feel that the activity is instinctive. Those who are talented are those who can do well, but perserverence and practice are required to do so.

Having met an awful lot of the individuals at the very top of the country in the sciences/Maths/debating, I would say I've only met a handful of people I would consider "gifted" at what they do. Not even every national champion I'd classify as gifted. Talented, certainly. But you have to draw a distinction between someone who gets to that league with seemingly no effort and can *just see* what needs to be done, than someone possessing the ability to draw distinctions and knows from experience what needs to be done.
There's usually stories behind these "gifted" people though. And a lot of it is down to experience.

Take Amir Khan the boxer for example, he appears to be gifted, way above his peers, but people didn't actually know the amount of fights he had actually had pre Athens 2004. It wasn't like he just appeared from nowhere. When you look at it like that, it seems we only call people gifted when WE OURSELVES ACTUALLY hear of them or see them. Don't get me wrong he has to have some aptitude to be there at such a young age, but athletically there are many more people out there as talented, it's just that they may not have had the experience or opportunity.

How many inner city kids are there with talent, but because they cannot afford to go to Eton and the like they will never realise their true potential?

A lot of these "gifted" people unless they have the determination to break through barriers, often fall by the wayside.

--------------

Also, actually talk to a lot of these "gifted" athletes, i.e. Roger Federer and he will tell you thathe has worked hard to get to where he is now.

PS - Sorry about the sporting examples but I am an athlete myself and I fiind it easier as I don't know anyone who is academically "gifted".

It is my opinion that there's always more to it than meets the eye. I've nevermet anyone who completely defies scientific logic.
Reply 52
Platocrates
*******s.

I am a naturally good speller, I didn't do it by reading books at all, I just happen to be very good from birth. I'm not saying it should be a marker of intelligence, I'm merely saying that surely a high level grasp of English is desirable for any real academic/genius. I'd be shocked if I saw a Oxbridge lecturer for example having trouble spelling words.

I deduce spellings all the time, and am usually right. I'd call that a 'gift', even if it doesn't necessitate intelligence.
Reply 53
Platocrates

Also, actually talk to a lot of these "gifted" athletes, i.e. Roger Federer and he will tell you thathe has worked hard to get to where he is now.

PS - Sorry about the sporting examples but I am an athlete myself and I fiind it easier as I don't know anyone who is academically "gifted".

It is my opinion that there's always more to it than meets the eye. I've nevermet anyone who completely defies scientific logic.

Well my dad used to tutor this boy who was gifted at maths (he was a family friend). He didnt have those pushy parents either that just make them work all the time. He was just amazing at maths. I think sitting your maths A level when you're in year 9 and getting an A takes a pretty giften person. And he was on a tv programme about gifted people so I say he's gifted :p:

I've just repeated an earlier post I know..
Reply 54
Platocrates

It is my opinion that there's always more to it than meets the eye. I've never met anyone who completely defies scientific logic.

Who were you expecting to meet, Superman? :rolleyes:
So going off some previous posters definitions of 'talented' and 'gifted' - take the example of Wayne Rooney, the Manchester United footballer, and his girlfriend Coleen McGloughlin (something like that).

Rooney is immensely 'gifted' in what he does, whereas his girlfriend is errr 'talented' in the shopping context...but you can barely call selfish expenditure of her shopping as a 'talent'!...
pineapple_face
Who were you expecting to meet, Superman? :rolleyes:

What defies scientific logic is someone that has supposedly never read a book in their lives, yet still claims to get First Class Honours in every university essay.

(Don't watch the hyperbole)
Reply 57
Well I can balance a spoon on my nose
Firebird

Btw, if you did national debating then I think you may know my super genius friend, although he's the year above you and I have no idea how the debating works in terms of ages/years.

... who would that be? Probably... (And yes, debating is all ages thrown together normally!)
Sure i know gifted people some guy i knew got A* in every GCSE he done and he took maths a year early and done AS french a year early also he done single sciences A* in every subject.

At A level he got AAAAA for maths, further maths, french, physics, chemistry

But he does commit to lots of work. I have known him since gcse's. Hes just too clever and does the same amount of work as normal.

Latest

Trending

Trending