The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
check out those weaves, dayuuumm
Original post by Evangelica
Uh so my white friends can wear extensions but if my black friends do then they're not black? That's ridiculous, Afro hair is ridiculously difficult to take care of; it takes me five minutes to sort my hair out in the morning, it would take my African friends at least an hour with natural hair. Don't be ignorant.

you are being a basic tw@t, i was pointing out as to why op didnt show any natural black women, go ask your black african female friends how "sext black women" are potrayed in the media? after getting your answer please comeback without your rose tinted glasses!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Ciaran88
I like my women like I like my coffee..

...From the corner of the street, and I'm not willing to pay more than £2.50.
Africa is diverse why is it that other africans call anyone that doesnt look very "african" un"african". I'm somali =)
Original post by Nomes89
I think the problem is, a lot of the time, many black British people do not know how to care for their hair properly particularly after using extremely harmful chemicals such as relaxers. This results in many 'hiding' damaged hair under weaves. On the other hand, I don't think it's always to do with being 'ashamed' as such. People like to change their hair and have styling flexibility. Hair extensions and weaves are great for this which is why many black celebs like Beyonce and Rihanna use them. Because who can realistically change their hair from brown, to red, to blonde to black so many times without it falling off lol.

Yeah but that goes into a completely different argument,as to why black girls even relax their hair in the first place. I still do not understand why anyone would want to put sodium hydroxide in their hair and go through all that pain just to get straight European looking hair.

But I understand what you're saying about the versatility of weaves/wigs/extensions. It's a great way to go from long to short,dark to light,without actually cutting your hair or adding even more damaging chemicals to your hair:biggrin: To be fair,most women celebs wear weaves/extensions,Christian Aguleira,Chery Cole,Vannessa Hudgens....But black women are just the ones who always get criticised lol.
Original post by JaiiStarh
Yeah but that goes into a completely different argument,as to why black girls even relax their hair in the first place. I still do not understand why anyone would want to put sodium hydroxide in their hair and go through all that pain just to get straight European looking hair.

Yeah true. People should be happy the way they are but hey, thats never gna happen. I'm guilty of that too :biggrin:
Original post by Nomes89
Yeah true. People should be happy the way they are but hey, thats never gna happen. I'm guilty of that too :biggrin:

Very true :frown: The short want to be tall,the tall want to be short. The light want to be dark,and the dark want to be light. The curly haired want to be straight haired,and the straight haired want curly hair :lol: The list gos on and on and on and on......
Original post by JaiiStarh
I don't think the person was saying that black girls shouldn't wear extensions. I think they were just making a point that that is all we see. We very rarely see dark skin black girls embracing their natural beauty.

The argument that Afro hair is more difficult to take care of doesn't completely ride with me lol. What could be easier than waking up in the morning,and just pulling your own natural hair into a bunch or ponytail? When black girls wear extensions,we have to take a longer time in the morning to straighten the extensions,add products to it,moisturise the scalp,blah blah blah. I think the majority of black girls are scared to embrace their natural beauty tbh,which is quite sad.

To be fair, I have natural hair, and I actually find it quite difficult to just pull it into a ponytail. To do that, I'd have to wash it first, then do a braidout or twistout to stretch the hair before attempting to try tying it into a ponytail. But maybe that's because of the length of my hair (shoulder length stretched, small afro unstretched), it's a bit challenging to do decent styles. I am currently trying to grow my hair right now, and hopefully when it's longer it'll be a bit easier to style. But right now I'm loving my braid extensions, as once they're in they require very little day-to-day styling and care :biggrin:
Original post by emeritus2011
you are being a basic tw@t, i was pointing out as to why op didnt show any natural black women, go ask your black african female friends how "sext black women" are potrayed in the media? after getting your answer please comeback without your rose tinted glasses!

All I'm trying to say is that putting your hair in braids / straightening it / putting in extensions shouldn't make you any less "black" than having an Afro. I just don't think that "being black" can be defined. We don't seem to have some overarching definition for "being white" do we? You are being a basic ****.

How many of the girls in my school go out without straightening or curling their hair, putting on make up, getting a fake tan, etc. It's not natural but when me or my friends do it, no one says "ohh you're not a natural white woman" *******s
Reply 109
Pretty black girl with natural hair
Original post by darkxangel
What do you mean by vulgar? :s-smilie:

i jest:h:.

Unrelated, but the third girl in the op is stunning:gah:
All I'm trying to say is that putting your hair in braids / straightening it / putting in extensions shouldn't make you any less "black" than having an Afro. I just don't think that "being black" can be defined. We don't seem to have some overarching definition for "being white" do we? You are being a basic ****.

How many of the girls in my school go out without straightening or curling their hair, putting on make up, getting a fake tan, etc. It's not natural but when me or my friends do it, no one says "ohh you're not a natural white woman" *******s

So true black girls get so much grief for anything they do (black guys too I hang around with my white friends oh I am trying to be white). Anything that deviates from 'natural' is not black tell me how many white girls/women leave their hair in it's natural state they fix it up, do different hairstyles dye it all colours of the rainbow (literally) seeing a white girl with cornrows is even a common sight where I am now no one accuses them of not being white.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
To be fair, I have natural hair, and I actually find it quite difficult to just pull it into a ponytail. To do that, I'd have to wash it first, then do a braidout or twistout to stretch the hair before attempting to try tying it into a ponytail. But maybe that's because of the length of my hair (shoulder length stretched, small afro unstretched), it's a bit challenging to do decent styles. I am currently trying to grow my hair right now, and hopefully when it's longer it'll be a bit easier to style. But right now I'm loving my braid extensions, as once they're in they require very little day-to-day styling and care :biggrin:

Yeah that makes sense. I guess it depends on the length,texture,health of your hair. I was constantly getting weaves for about two years,and my Grandma is Indian,so when it comes to styling my hair I find it reasonable easy,as all that weave and trimming has given me a decent length and the texture of my hair is fairly easy to handle :smile: Yesssss braid extensions are wonderful! Especially when you find someone who knows your hair,and bothers to take time to do small intricate plaits. :biggrin:(Why do I feel that we are slowly sliding away from the original point of this thread :colondollar: lol)

if you cant understand what im getting at then i give up
(edited 12 years ago)

Sorry,I just had to add this:biggrin: I think Lauryn Hill just epitomises black beauty. All the other girls with their curvy bums and their breasts out are pretty/sexy as well,but I have always thought Lauryn Hill is one of the most beautiful artists out there. Beautiful and oh so talented. I have always had a secret girl crush on her since I watched her in Sister Act 2 :colondollar:
if you cant understand what im getting at then i give up

What point are you making?
Original post by Nomes89
What point are you making?

Im sayin granted the pictures that OP put up are of attractive black women and yes those pictures are what the media potrays as "sexy black women" ie slightly light skinned with straight hair..if OP is looking to make a thread to aknowledge black women then why not have different shades of black women and not just what you see in hip hop videos? If your looking to do something do it properly! A few people have put up pictures of darker with natural hair..i think some black women need to start being proud if their skin tone and hair texture..theres too much skin bleaching goin on even in the UK!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 117
Last couple of years I've come to realise that none can compare to a hot black girl. Actually just extend that to any girl with some 'colour' in them.
Im sayin granted the pictures that OP put up are of attractive black women and yes those pictures are what the media potrays as "sexy black women" ie slightly light skinned with straight hair..if OP is looking to make a thread to aknowledge black women then why not have different shades of black women and not just what you see in hip hop videos? If your looking to do something do it properly! A few people have put up pictures of darker with natural hair..i think some black women need to start being proud if their skin tone and hair texture..theres too much skin bleaching goin on even in the UK!!

I dno, wouldn't read too much into it (the first woman looked fairly dark to me!)...in other words I don't think they were chosen because they had lighter skin or whatever. Like someone else tried to point out, cosmetically changing one's appearance is not exclusively done amongst black women. And it doesn't mean they're not 'proud'.
Reply 119
Original post by *Lollo*
Emeritus is right though, it's always girls with paler skin, straightened hair etc. You never see girls like Alek Wek.

Because Aleck Wek (in my opinion) is not attractive. Why must Alek Wek be seen as a 'real' black woman. ALL those woman in the original post look 100% black to me and not mixed. Black people come in all many many shades, some are very light doesn't mean their not black. That attitude which on see on TSR a lot, the one that tries to say Beyonce or Rhianna is not black because they are not dark enough skinned for some people, pisses me off so much. In my own family, the ones that are 100% black, some are as black as Alek Wek (well not quite lol) and some are as light as Alicia Keys ... we're all black!
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest