The Student Room Group

Will UNIS know that I've completed my A-LEVELS over 3 years?

I started my A-Levels in Sept 2009 (AS year) but completely screwed it up so I chose to move to a different Sixth Form and retake my year there. I'll be finishing my A-Levels Summer 2012.

Obviously a lot of unis won't even consider me if they know I've retaken my AS year, but is there any way of me keeping it from them lol? I know it sounds silly! But I'd really like to study either Law/History at a GOOD university such as Queen Mary's.

Would it be a bad idea to not mention it? Is there any way they would know I'm retaking it? I don't know the whole UCAS process so I'm not sure if you mention it on your application etc.

Thanks for reading, hope someone can shed some light :smile: x

Scroll to see replies

You can't keep it from them. You have to enter all your module results and dates
They'll see the dates of your GCSEs and then your A Levels, there will be 3 years between them so yes they will see.
So I have to enter all of my results from last yr?
they dont have to know you did it all over 3 years you could just say you took a gap year and not tell them you did your AS level during that year. thats what i did and they never knew :smile:
Original post by Khaysha-Saine
they dont have to know you did it all over 3 years you could just say you took a gap year and not tell them you did your AS level during that year. thats what i did and they never knew :smile:

I'm on the same english board OCR (but studying diff poetry + novels) and same psychology board AQA (same units etc) will they not see that I've already done AS exams for those boards?
Original post by hypocriticaljap
You can't keep it from them. You have to enter all your module results and dates

No you don't - all qualifications, not modules. My unis never knew that I had two very high A grade modules hiding a D in another module in my history A-level.
Reply 7
I sat my A levels over 3 years and still gained a place in a university. Yes they will know as you have to enter all your exam information, even if you failed them, but providing you get the results they ask for, it will not hinder you getting a place.
Original post by leavemebehind
I'm on the same english board OCR (but studying diff poetry + novels) and same psychology board AQA (same units etc) will they not see that I've already done AS exams for those boards?

i dont think so becuase you started the year again. you didnt re-take it so just entry the new grades for the new sixt form and forget about the old ones. i dont think they will even ask they will just assum you wasnt in education for a year.
Reply 9
You have to put in your original AS results as well as your new ones because you need to enter all your qualifications that you have, so they'll know you have two lots of AS results.
And they'll be able to figure it out from the date of your GCSEs as well.
What if you change exam boards? :sexface:

My chemistry is technically a resit, though the first time around I sat it in a year making it 2 years...just spread out...and with different exam boards.
I know from experience that you have to put down everything, if they're certified exam grades you can't hide them. At first I thought I could hide it but when you log into ucas they ask for EVERYTHING there's no way you can past it :redface: It won't stop you getting places at uni, I wasn't rejected from any of my 5... What I was told was that obviously it shows that you have turned things around in terms of grades and you can make bad things into a positive. Honestly don't worry about it :smile:
i did near the same except ended up returning to the same college, for 2nd n 3rd year and it wasnt questioned at all... i got offered places everywhere i applied
x
okay thanks so much guys :smile:
i just rang Queen Marys - law and history departments and they said they look at each individual case, and altho they do prefer students who have studied a levels over 2 years, they accept those who have done it over 3! still going to ring around a few unis etc

ah wish i didnt have to retake tho! 9 grand a year! :frown:
How do they know you didnt do a gap year between year 11 and year 12.
Original post by greebo-man

Thats what I was wondering, I guess they'll see module entries and grades etc if you HAVE to put it into UCAS, plus most people go straight onto college/sixth form after secondary school, I think?

I'm thinking I might try and work the whole 'retake as yr' thing in my favour, show I'm reeeeeeally determined...or just stupid. :rolleyes:
Reply 16

So, what did you do for your gap year?
Original post by chrislpp
So, what did you do for your gap year?

Nothing I went college but i didnt get the grades i wanted so I re enrolled at a new college the year after.
Reply 18
So I have to enter all of my results from last yr?
Yes

You are REQUIRED to enter all qualifications that you took. You are also required to enter the names of all schools and colleges attended, giving the dates.

Yes, because you will have to declare the AS grades you got first time round.

i dont think so becuase you started the year again. you didnt re-take it so just entry the new grades for the new sixt form and forget about the old ones. i dont think they will even ask they will just assum you wasnt in education for a year.
The OP cannot do this. See above.

Original post by lizlaz350
You have to put in your original AS results as well as your new ones because you need to enter all your qualifications that you have, so they'll know you have two lots of AS results.
And they'll be able to figure it out from the date of your GCSEs as well.
Correct.

Original post by LiberiFatali
What if you change exam boards? :sexface:

My chemistry is technically a resit, though the first time around I sat it in a year making it 2 years...just spread out...and with different exam boards.
You have to enter all qualifications that you hold. So, if you took the AS with one board, enter that, and if you took it again with another, you enter that too.

Original post by greebo-man
See above.

Thats what I was wondering, I guess they'll see module entries and grades etc if you HAVE to put it into UCAS, plus most people go straight onto college/sixth form after secondary school, I think?
Precisely.

Nothing I went college but i didnt get the grades i wanted so I re enrolled at a new college the year after.
And you should have declared all of this on your application. By not doing so your application could have been invalidated and your place cancelled.
Original post by Minerva

And you should have declared all of this on your application. By not doing so your application could have been invalidated and your place cancelled.

Ah, thanks so much! I'm definitely going to declare all my past results etc, I'd feel extremely uneasy witholding that information and I don't want to jeopordise my chances of getting a place at a university because I lied. I guess I'll just have to hope for the best & pray they don't hold it against me too much...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending