The Student Room Group

Performing Arts/Drama/Acting/etc Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Ok, so, no luck with drama schools this year. But have offers for English and Drama at Goldsmiths and English and Theatre at Leeds. I've already had 2 years out of college so I really want to go and do something now, and save up for an MA in Acting one day. I have until Wednesday to decide between Goldsmiths and Leeds and I don't know which one to go for. Please someone help me make this decision....xxx
Reply 301
Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone has gotten a place at any Central London drama schools and is currently looking for accommodation?

Thought I'd introduce myself, my name's Jordon, I'm 18, and I'm in this boat with one of my good friends, we're both heading to London Drama schools on three year courses (I'll be studying at Drama Centre London, whereas my friend will be at LAMDA), was wondering if there were any others, possibly looking for a flat share or a house share or something? I thought it would be interesting to see if there's any others out there that might consider looking for somewhere with us? (For example, looking for a house for 5 people spreads the cost a little more than if me and him were to find somewhere for the two of us as it is).

Also, if there's any people out there that have studied at Drama Centre London before, I'd love to hear what you thought of the school and any advice on student life there would be great too :biggrin:
I have an offer from Manchester school of theatre (manchester met) but I'm really unsure about it. I would really appreciate hearing people's opinions/ what they've heard about the acting course there, as I just can't quite establish the kind of place it is from the website. I got to the final round at rose bruford but no offer :frown: my heart was set on going there. I've had one year out of school and next year would be my third attempt if I tried again. Do people have any encouraging stories about trying again? Also what kind of things did people do before getting in? I've done a foundation course and now am wondering what to do with myself...
Reply 303
Original post by juicylucy92
I have an offer from Manchester school of theatre (manchester met) but I'm really unsure about it. I would really appreciate hearing people's opinions/ what they've heard about the acting course there, as I just can't quite establish the kind of place it is from the website. I got to the final round at rose bruford but no offer :frown: my heart was set on going there. I've had one year out of school and next year would be my third attempt if I tried again. Do people have any encouraging stories about trying again? Also what kind of things did people do before getting in? I've done a foundation course and now am wondering what to do with myself...

Man Met is one of the best after the big dogs RADA and LAMDA. They've produced some great and very, very successful actors: http://www.mmu.ac.uk/alumni/notable.php?a=1

Well done, you should be very proud of yourself (: xxx
Original post by Kempy10
Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone has gotten a place at any Central London drama schools and is currently looking for accommodation?

Thought I'd introduce myself, my name's Jordon, I'm 18, and I'm in this boat with one of my good friends, we're both heading to London Drama schools on three year courses (I'll be studying at Drama Centre London, whereas my friend will be at LAMDA), was wondering if there were any others, possibly looking for a flat share or a house share or something? I thought it would be interesting to see if there's any others out there that might consider looking for somewhere with us? (For example, looking for a house for 5 people spreads the cost a little more than if me and him were to find somewhere for the two of us as it is).

Also, if there's any people out there that have studied at Drama Centre London before, I'd love to hear what you thought of the school and any advice on student life there would be great too :biggrin:

Hey there,

I'm spending a year with Fourth Monkey Theatre Company from September and i'm also looking for a house share with other people involved in the arts in some way. Are you still looking to share with a few people as i'd be interested in finding somewhere too.
Hope to hear from you soon :smile: Oh and well done, Drama Centre is a huge achievement :biggrin:!!
Original post by holly6946
Man Met is one of the best after the big dogs RADA and LAMDA. They've produced some great and very, very successful actors: http://www.mmu.ac.uk/alumni/notable.php?a=1

Well done, you should be very proud of yourself (: xxx

That's interesting... to be honest I was always under the impression that it wasn't one of the best schools by far. Where did you hear that?

And thanks a alot :smile: xxx
Reply 306
Hey

My best friend has been accepted to Royal Welsh (yay, yay, yay) but is confused about how accommodation works. She doesn't know where to apply, or if you do indeed apply. Anyone know anything that might be helpful. She's a bit useless.

Thankssss.
Reply 307
Original post by holbolrob
Hey

My best friend has been accepted to Royal Welsh (yay, yay, yay) but is confused about how accommodation works. She doesn't know where to apply, or if you do indeed apply. Anyone know anything that might be helpful. She's a bit useless.

Thankssss.

What is she going to study?

Im going to Royal Welsh as well. They emailed me the accomodation form a week ago, but I got accepted in February so maybe they'll send your friend an email a bit later if she only just got accepted.

Royal Welsh have their own halls, Severn Point, 12 mins walk from the college and youre guaranteed a room if you reply before July 31st so no rush she just have to be a bit patient -the email will come. She'll have to apply through RW and not directly to the halls as that will be more expensive.
All the rooms are en-suite and share kitchen with 5 others, and the rooms are 40% bigger than the UK average. I think rent is £97 pw.

Im not going to halls, but will be using RW's find-a-friend scheme to rent a house instead, that will be explained in the same email.
Reply 308
Original post by beeblues
Hey, thanks for getting back to me

I had my interview at the end of January. Do you have any idea how many places are usually given to shortlisted people, or is it mostly "No"s?

Heya. Quite a few of my course got given places off the shortlist. I think I was in the minority that got given a yes outright. They interview a lot of people so don't make their minds up straight away. And when they do give a yes we had a time limit in which to accept or decline the offer so if someone declined it went to a shortlisted person. At least 3 people got offers end of August as well!
Reply 309
Original post by Kempy10

Heya, if you and your friend have facebook look on there. If you search for LAMDA student union you will find a group where current and future lamda students can post and loads of them are starting to look for places to live or the leavers are letting out their rooms/flats. Hope this helps!
Reply 310
Original post by Dizzywhore1804
Hey there,

I'm spending a year with Fourth Monkey Theatre Company from September and i'm also looking for a house share with other people involved in the arts in some way. Are you still looking to share with a few people as i'd be interested in finding somewhere too.
Hope to hear from you soon :smile: Oh and well done, Drama Centre is a huge achievement :biggrin:!!

Thank you! :smile:

And that sounds cool, my name is Jordon Kemp, feel free to add me on facebook.
Reply 311
Anyone going for the MT course at CSSD? Just firmed yesterday :biggrin:
Reply 312
Original post by Philemon
What is she going to study?

She's studying Acting. She was only accepted last week so I'll tell her to wait for the email. I'm super jealous of the 40% bigger rooms! Thanks for the response.
Original post by DakH3mm
Anyone going for the MT course at CSSD? Just firmed yesterday :biggrin:

I am! I'll see you there haha, can't wait :biggrin:
Hey i was just wondering if anyone here (or anyone knows someone) doing the oxford school of drama foundation course who might want to share a house in oxford in september...
Hi guys,
I'm in year 12 and applying next year for a MT course. I'm a bit confused by the interview stage, what sort of questions do they ask you?? And also, seeing as many of you seem to be applying to acting courses, I haven't really looked into acting much and I'm a bit worried about that. I've seen hundreds of musicals but I've never actually seen a play! I've recently done my advanced performance certificate which is basically a 30 minute one-woman show with several songs filled in with acting, and I was one of the only candidates to get a distinction, so I know I CAN act... hopefully! Are there certain monologues that a pannel would detest in the audition? I know there are huge no-nos in terms of songs, and I'm wondering if the same applies to acting? Where can I find monologues? Do I need to know all about the play they originate from?? I feel so clueless!
Reply 316
Original post by juicylucy92

Hey! I've just firmed my place there!
I went to an open day which they gave me the wrong date for and ended up watching a 3rd year showcase which was brilliant! There was a complete range of people from all ends of the spectrum and the agents at the event were from the BBC. Me and my dad sat at the back trying to look as normal as possible ahahaa! But i'm really excited for it. I would only recommend doing it if you really want it. If you don't have good vibes then maybe wait it out :smile:
Original post by jen.ac12
Hey! I've just firmed my place there!
I went to an open day which they gave me the wrong date for and ended up watching a 3rd year showcase which was brilliant! There was a complete range of people from all ends of the spectrum and the agents at the event were from the BBC. Me and my dad sat at the back trying to look as normal as possible ahahaa! But i'm really excited for it. I would only recommend doing it if you really want it. If you don't have good vibes then maybe wait it out :smile:

Heya! I'm pretty sure now that I'm going to firm it after hearing lots of positive things about the course! So I'll most probably be seeing you in Sept ahh!! Have you applied for halls yet? I'm so disorganised I haven't really got round to looking yet.
Original post by beeblues
Agreed, really happy to see technical theatre applicants too. Where else have you applied?

I will post on here as soon as find out from RADA. Fingers crossed we all get in. Does anyone know how many people get shortlisted?

Have you heard anything from RADA yet?
Reply 319
Original post by HarveyJames
Have you heard anything from RADA yet?

Not yet, I am getting a bit stressed out now lol. How about you?

Quick Reply

Latest