The Student Room Group

Performing Arts/Drama/Acting/etc Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jesse James
Hello all, its that time of year again - and on the contrary, I wouldn't say it's too early to start this thread - preperation must be underway!!

So I figured I would introduce myself by telling you all my ridiculous and hopefully mildly amusing story.

I'm female, 19 and after finishing school in 2008 decided to study english lit and abandon all dreams of drama school for fear of rejection and practicality. So after getting into Warwick and Cambridge (I should have been pleased, right?), the day before I was due to start uni at Cambridge - I whimped out. It wasn't what I wanted to do - and there was no way in hell that I could afford to do both a uni degree and go to drama school. So last year I applied to drama school....

After paying the £45 quid to 4 drama schools and sending off my applications a day before the deadline - I only managed to pluck up the courage to go to one audition - LAMDA. And what did I do? Well I'll tell you. I walked straight past the blasted building - looked at all the current student portfolio pictures in all their black and white glory and....nothing. I shook my head in panic for 20 minutes and went back to the car and drove home. My fear of rejection was worse than I thought.

*gulp* so I'm trying again this year!

LAMDA, RADA, Mountview Bristol Old Vic, and toying with the idea of some others...

Hi! I know I'm replying to a comment from almost 4 years ago, but I'm wondering if you did get into drama school in the end?? I'm sort of in the same position as you, I'm just about to finish my Englsih degree and then apply to drama school. I love acting, and am desperate to go to drama school, but am completely terrified of auditioning. Would love to know whether you plucked up the courage to pursue drama school in the end :smile:
Original post by Rozington
heya guys

just thought i would respond, i'm 18 i spent my life on here last year and could of used a lot of help. i went through the whole auditions last year and auditioned everywhere i could. Im now at Mountview doing the BA Acting course so if anyone needs advice or just a chat about things im happy to help, i have a lot of friends auditioning this year again also. just give me a message :smile:

R.

Hey, thanks so much for offering to give advice! I'm applying to drama school this year and am incredibly nervous/no idea what to expect as I've never done an audition before. Could you give me any tips on what they look for? I'm going to apply for the foundation course in acting at RADA and LAMDA. :smile: Thanks!
Original post by emiliebazza
Hey Guys! I need some advicee!!

So i've had my oxford, mountview, lamda and east 15.

Oxford, Lamda and East 15 all offered me the foundation course.

I've still got like 4 more auditions to go, but if i don't get on a 3 year, would you do a foundation course first?!

Bearing in mind that i don't think you can get funding for Lamda and Oxford, but East 15 you can.

If i got funding for a foundation at east 15, would i then get funding for a 3 year course? does anyone know?

Thankyouuu

xxxxxx

Hey, did you just apply for foundation courses, or the BA's aswell? I'm just going to apply for foundation courses, but am wondering what they look for/how long the audition is?

I was going to apply just before the deadline in March but am a bit concerned that you've already been offered a place. Does this mean that I've got less of a chance getting in by leaving it till the deadline to apply? Thanks
Original post by francescarella
awww look at all you central applicants! *feels all warm and fuzzy* Central FTW!

How do you think the admission standards compare between the 3 year BA Acting courses at the leading London Drama schools ( Central, LAMDA, Mountview and RADA) and their foundation courses?
Original post by hansiepansie
Hey, did you just apply for foundation courses, or the BA's aswell? I'm just going to apply for foundation courses, but am wondering what they look for/how long the audition is?

I was going to apply just before the deadline in March but am a bit concerned that you've already been offered a place. Does this mean that I've got less of a chance getting in by leaving it till the deadline to apply? Thanks

Heyy!!

No, i applied for BA Courses. Remember how expensive foundations can be! Some are about £10, 000 unfunded. But some are amazing!!

Everywhere just looks for potential whether your going for a BA or 1 year. But then everywhere's different. :smile: The audition will usually be probably a day long. Maybe a recall audition at some.

I'd say the sooner the better, because as some schools give out places as they go, there might not be many left. But some wait until everyone has auditioned. It just depends i get. Auditioning is so mix and match! ha

goood luck!! :biggrin: xx
Original post by boogerella
How do you think the admission standards compare between the 3 year BA Acting courses at the leading London Drama schools ( Central, LAMDA, Mountview and RADA) and their foundation courses?

they're all extremely high as the same people tend to apply to all of them the maximise chances. Mountview tend to pick more MT-style students, RADA more classic/shakespearean-style acting. Central has three strands so can vary who they take, LAMDA is a cross between Central and RADA.
Reply 126
This thread has been a great read.

Does anyone know how important the personal statement is when applying thru UCAS?

My nerves are getting the best of me and even such a simple thing as a statement is completely putting me off even applying lol. :frown:
Reply 127
Wooopiie, got an audition for ALRA on 2nd April and for Central on the 3rd...soooo excited :smile:
But I'm kinda confused...in this thread I read that Central asks you to bring photos and portfolios and stuff and they didn't mention that at all.
Can anyone help?
i applied for all Universities rather than drama schools.
Portsmouth - conditional
Wolverhampton - conditional after a interview with a written essay and group performance.
Cumbria - interview
Sunderland - interview
Reply 129
Original post by annnny
Wooopiie, got an audition for ALRA on 2nd April and for Central on the 3rd...soooo excited :smile:
But I'm kinda confused...in this thread I read that Central asks you to bring photos and portfolios and stuff and they didn't mention that at all.
Can anyone help?

I'm relatively sure that's for the theory and tech courses, rather than the Acting course - read through all the notes that you got given on the event confirmation for your Central audition, and if it says nothing of portfolios there, then you needn't worry.

I'm auditioning for Central on 28th March, and I've not been told at any point or read anywhere that I need anything more than myself, my three monologues and my song.

:smile:
Reply 130
Original post by LinfordB

I'm auditioning for Central on 28th March, and I've not been told at any point or read anywhere that I need anything more than myself, my three monologues and my song.

:smile:

Okay, thanks a lot and best of luck for your audition :smile:
I'm applying for mountview for BA musical theatre. Don't have a lot of dancing experience at all so I was wondering what kind of dancing you do at the audition. Are the "judges" really tough? Do they cut you off if they don't think you're good enough? Does everyone who has applied get an audition.

One last thing: those of you who have been successful: what repertoires did you choose for your songs and what kind of monologues?
I'm wondering if anyone could help me with this. I payed for my LAMDA audition back in early November but I still haven't heard anything about the audition date. I applied for the Birmingham one which is either 18th or 19th Februrary if that makes any difference as to why they haven't told me when it is.
Hello everyone!

First of all good luck to everyone applying/auditioning/interviewing e.t.c its such a scary process! I've applied to study Drama at Glamorgan, UWE, Bath Spa, Winchester and took a long shot at applying for a BA Acting at LIPA! I've been offered conditionals from UWE and Bath Spa, have an intereview at Winchester in Feb, and had my interview at Glamorgan this weekend.

I was just wondering whether anyone else has heard anything back from Glamorgan? and ANY advice on auditions at LIPA, I'm soo scared I can't even put into words, and have no clue what to do for a devised piece, let alone the contemporary speech!

Any help would be much appreciated!! :biggrin:

x
Reply 134
Original post by purpleberry
I'm wondering if anyone could help me with this. I payed for my LAMDA audition back in early November but I still haven't heard anything about the audition date. I applied for the Birmingham one which is either 18th or 19th Februrary if that makes any difference as to why they haven't told me when it is.

My LAMDA audition confirmation took ages to come through, having only fallen into my inbox today after applying ages ago. I think they do them in batches closer to the dates. If you're getting worried, why don't you tweet them or send an email - worth a shot, eh?
Anyone got their LIPA audition this Sunday at all??
Reply 136
Original post by molly310593
Hello everyone!

First of all good luck to everyone applying/auditioning/interviewing e.t.c its such a scary process! I've applied to study Drama at Glamorgan, UWE, Bath Spa, Winchester and took a long shot at applying for a BA Acting at LIPA! I've been offered conditionals from UWE and Bath Spa, have an intereview at Winchester in Feb, and had my interview at Glamorgan this weekend.

I was just wondering whether anyone else has heard anything back from Glamorgan? and ANY advice on auditions at LIPA, I'm soo scared I can't even put into words, and have no clue what to do for a devised piece, let alone the contemporary speech!

Any help would be much appreciated!! :biggrin:

x

Hi Molly,
I've got a conditional from Glamorgan :smile: You should hear from them very soon! I did my interview back in December. Really enjoyed it! How did your interview go and what did you think?
Reply 137
Hey... wondering if anyone on this thread can give me a little info about Uni of Winchester's Drama department?! I'm an international student, and I applied for for a place in the Drama and Media in Development Master's program. Got my unconditional offer last week, but I'm waiting to hear from a bunch of other schools still...

Hoping I can get a little more insider (or at least in-country) knowledge!!! Thanks~~~
Original post by vassrbex
Hey... wondering if anyone on this thread can give me a little info about Uni of Winchester's Drama department?! I'm an international student, and I applied for for a place in the Drama and Media in Development Master's program. Got my unconditional offer last week, but I'm waiting to hear from a bunch of other schools still...

Hoping I can get a little more insider (or at least in-country) knowledge!!! Thanks~~~

I went to Winchester and one of my friends did drama, as did several of my first-year flatmates.

The drama department is quite big and I never heard any real complaints about it, it depends what you want out of your degree though, as it is a university rather than a drama school.
Reply 139
Thx for the reply. I'm looking for a Theatre MA that is going to put me in a good spot for teaching theatre as well as starting a theatre non-profit. I'm not looking for "acting classes" as much as the cultural study of theatre for social change and developing my tools for working with youth theatre...

Winchester's program seems in line with this from what I can tell! Thanks so much for the info!

Quick Reply

Latest