The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JaiiStarh
This is what I do not understand. Surely the majority of the time when a black person is light,that means they have some white in them,or another ethnicity in them....even if it is somewhere quite far back in their blood?

In my family,there are light skin people,but we know they have Chinese,Indian or German in them from their Grandmothers or Great Grandmothers. However,they refer to themselves as black,not mixed race. That makes sense right?

The same is the case for Caucasians with dark skin. In parts of Spain and Italy, people have dark skin and Arabic features due to Arabic invasion. But they're still white. Something so far back in the bloodline is irrelevant imo.
Reply 21
Well to be fair. A lot of points about how beautiful Black women are are made with mixed race women.

It's pointless. Like saying something is a lovely shade of Green when it's turquoise. It's neither blue nor green, it's inbetween and thus could be used for either side of the argument.
Original post by aprilterri
Rhianna is not mixed race she IS black. Half BLACK Bajan and half BLACK Guyanese. She is a light skinned black girl. You guys need to take a trip to the carribean and see the different shades that we have.

My bad, I read somewhere that she had a white parent. There you go then, case in point.
Original post by Steevee
Well to be fair. A lot of points about how beautiful Black women are are made with mixed race women.

I agree with the point you can't represent black women with just mixed race women but where are you drawing this experience from?
Reply 24
Original post by aprilterri
Rhianna is not mixed race she IS black. Half BLACK Bajan and half BLACK Guyanese. She is a light skinned black girl. You guys need to take a trip to the carribean and see the different shades that we have.

The problem is, people only seem to deem africans as 'truly black' (whatever that's become :s-smilie:). Weird, I know.
That's not the issue though. It is confusing when people upload pictures of people like Alexis Jordan or something and say she is a a black beauty when people have seen her posing on red carpet with her white parent.
Original post by Nomes89
The same is the case for Caucasians with dark skin. In parts of Spain and Italy, people have dark skin and Arabic features due to Arabic invasion. But they're still white. Something so far back in the bloodline is irrelevant imo.

Yes that makes more sense to me. Now I'm starting to understand :colondollar:
Light skin black girl,dark skin black girl,mixed race girl, we all share the same culture and history anyway :biggrin:
Reply 27
I am a somali and a lot of people say i must have arab blood to look the way i do (i do not really look somali) and i just find that really offensive. The other day i guy said to me 'you are not black your brown' and i was like 'wtf'. People cannot understand that Africa is very diverse and you get people of all shades and shapes. Its just really anoying.
Original post by SchadenfreudeDude
Black people?

On TSR?

WHERE?

everywhere brah
Reply 29
lol *shrug, people waste too much time tryna label them selves, or others. you are what you are- let the ignorant blissfully be ignorant- it dont take em no where. your human, then u have aliens (what u feel your not familiar with)... thats enough labeling for me....
Reply 30
Original post by JaiiStarh
This is what I do not understand. Surely the majority of the time when a black person is light,that means they have some white in them,or another ethnicity in them....even if it is somewhere quite far back in their blood?

In my family,there are light skin people,but we know they have Chinese,Indian or German in them from their Grandmothers or Great Grandmothers. However,they refer to themselves as black,not mixed race. That makes sense right?

Exactly
Most people of Caribbean heritage have different races in them but are ultimately black. I am the same but I am black. I have light skinned aunts and uncles and dark skinned aunts and uncles and some 'middle toned ones'. They have the same parents. It does not mean that the light skinned ones can't be considered black or 'aren't black enough'. TSR is supposed to be full of educated people but the ignorance astounds me.
Reply 31
Original post by Nomes89
I agree with the point you can't represent black women with just mixed race women but where are you drawing this experience from?

On TSR and on some other forums. When people defend Black women's looks (not that they are under attack) they tend to post mixed race women, or women with more European features rather than saharan features.
Reply 32
Original post by Steevee

It's pointless. Like saying something is a lovely shade of Green when it's turquoise. It's neither blue nor green, it's inbetween and thus could be used for either side of the argument.

People's perception of the variation of black skin is very narrow. Where it can be verified, I understand, but in random pictures people automatically assume that black skin 'can't be like that'.

Side point: Let's get it clear that we're not dealing with strict colours here, your average coluorometer is unable to detect black skin as describe or talk about it, there's a lot more variation here.
(edited 12 years ago)
Does it really matter about the colour of someones skin? :dry:
Reply 34
Okay, there are too types of 'mixed race' terms:

When for example, a chinese dude and a Swedish woman have a kid, that kid will turn mixed race. Even if his/her skin colour is white, the kid is still mixed raced, has a Orientals person's race is different from the White(Aryan?) race.

Now, what most people think when they hear the word 'mixed race' is the skin colour.

There is a clear distinction between a mixed raced person and a black light skinned person.

In fact, the skin colour it is not even called mixed race, its called mulatto/mulato.

Now, shall I demonstrate a clear difference between a light skinned black person and mulato person?
a lightie...i.e a lightskin girl is mixed race...i.e black and white...
Reply 36
Original post by SuperGuy
People's perception of the variation of black skin is very narrow. Where it can be verified, I understand, but in random pictures people automatically assume that black skin 'can't be like that'.

Side point: Let's get it clear that we're not dealing with strict colours here, your average coluorometer is unable to detect black as we see it.

I understand that these women are black. But they are black with Euorpean/Caucasion features as opposed to Saharan features, which is my point. They are a mix between the two really.
Original post by SuperGuy
Why is it, that whenever a light skinned black girl is shown in a picture on TSR, there is always a response (usually within the first few posts) that goes, 'she's mixed' or 'she's not really black' or 'she's got white features'? Really?. What is your definition of 'black skin' and 'black features'? So dark and close to literal 'black' that the girl is unnattractive enough to be deemed black? Lips so big she's unnattractive enough to be deemed black? Ridiculous.

Referring to the issue of 'white features', the most white people don't have the features these girls have, and while in the media these features are often seen on white people (and, lets be real, irl too), there's no monopoly on them. These features are common in various other countries, surprisingly to some people, even central and southern african ones.

Getting back to the issue of black skin:

If your view of a beautiful black woman is limited to this....

.....I pity you. And (yes, I started with 'and') while she is beautiful, there are many shades of what is called 'black', and as a person who has been in the darkest parts of africa, you'd be surprised how beautifully dark OR beautifully light a person of black heritage can be.

Finally, let me finish by saying that there are many shades of white too, from very pale to dark olive, many white people look mixed raced or are born with a natural tan.

Let's be a bit more open minded.
Expecting negs.

SuperGuy :wink:

are you saying that all black girls are unatrractive? it doesn't fit with the rest of your post.
rihannas not mixed race she's black...when black people talk about mixed race women its usually black and white..
Reply 39
Original post by Nomes89
My bad, I read somewhere that she had a white parent. There you go then, case in point.

She is mixed race. She has a grandparents of irish descent

Latest