The Student Room Group

Paying Tuition Fee using Maintenance Grant?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aisha M
lol. im gna get a part time job as well and il be living at home i.a
but is it possible to do what im saying?

and if you dont get a part-time job
Most unis won't pay out any bursaries until around November.
Reply 22
Original post by kopite493
and if you dont get a part-time job

Insha'Allah i will.
I can understand why you wouldn’t want the loan. I mean why pay the loan back if you can use the free maintenance grant to pay it. It’s like getting uni for free, but won’t the increase in fee have a major effect because the grant won’t cover it?

I think everyone’s loans/grants get paid differently but usually within 1-2 weeks of each other.

Mine are paid Sep/Jan and May. My fees had to be paid in two installments - one if Nov and the other in Jan.

Depending on how much of a grant you get and whether to have any means of supplementing it then i can see how it can be done.
Original post by LissRules!!
I can understand why you wouldn’t want the loan. I mean why pay the loan back if you can use the free maintenance grant to pay it. It’s like getting uni for free, but won’t the increase in fee have a major effect because the grant won’t cover it?

I think everyone’s loans/grants get paid differently but usually within 1-2 weeks of each other.

Mine are paid Sep/Jan and May. My fees had to be paid in two installments - one if Nov and the other in Jan.

Depending on how much of a grant you get and whether to have any means of supplementing it then i can see how it can be done.

anyone starting in 2011 doesn't pay the newer higher fees. Nevertheless the maximum grant is £2906, less than the £3375 fees for 2011.
Original post by hypocriticaljap
anyone starting in 2011 doesn't pay the newer higher fees. Nevertheless the maximum grant is £2906, less than the £3375 fees for 2011.

Oh right. Sorry, wasn’t really sure when the new fees applied.

Yeah, they would need a way of supplementing the grant to met the correct amount. It's not a major difference and if they are living at home living costs shouldn’t be too high.
Reply 26
If it's a religious/ethical objection to the loan does it help that the student loans are designed so the governments is not making any profit?

Guess a lot of muslims must be taking the loan and it'd be a shame for you to miss out higher education.
Reply 27
Original post by Joinedup
If it's a religious/ethical objection to the loan does it help that the student loans are designed so the governments is not making any profit?

Guess a lot of muslims must be taking the loan and it'd be a shame for you to miss out higher education.

thats not realy da issue, its jus dat yh religusly i cnt take loan out but am sure il do fine wivout it i.A
Reply 28
Original post by Aisha M
thats not realy da issue, its jus dat yh religusly i cnt take loan out but am sure il do fine wivout it i.A

Have you asked on the muslim soc thread? - maybe someone there knows a good way round it.
Original post by Aisha M

:slap:
Reply 30
Original post by Joinedup
Have you asked on the muslim soc thread? - maybe someone there knows a good way round it.

nope, didnt evn kno dat thread existed..where izit?
Reply 31
Original post by firestar101
:slap:

u in da same boat?
Original post by Aisha M
u in da same boat?

Yes. I guess so. I have no choice though but to take a student loan. Otherwise, how do I pay acomodation as I have to move away. As the uni is 3 hours away and 3 hours back.

If I do not take the student loan, then I have to live on the streets. Lol.
Original post by Aisha M

Yes. But, in some circumstances it is ok. It is alright for you seeing as you do not have to move away and you are rich.

But some people have to move away and are from a poor family like myself. So, tell me this genius, how would I pay my accomodation and fees without a loan. It is impossible for people in my situation.
Reply 34
Original post by firestar101
Yes. But, in some circumstances it is ok. It is alright for you seeing as you do not have to move away and you are rich.

But some people have to move away and are from a poor family like myself. So, tell me this genius, how would I pay my accomodation and fees without a loan. It is impossible for people in my situation.

lol, im not rich, far from it. i was just askin abwt my situation and if it ws posible to do wat i wer seyin.
i understand your situation, wich uni u goin 2? did u not wana gt a uni closa 2 home so u cn comute?
Original post by Aisha M
lol, im not rich, far from it. i was just askin abwt my situation and if it ws posible to do wat i wer seyin.
i understand your situation, wich uni u goin 2? did u not wana gt a uni closa 2 home so u cn comute?

I live in scotland and I did not get into the university close home as there grade requirements were far too high and do not accept resits.

So, I have to go to a university further away that does pharmacy. :smile:

Did you get into your chosen course?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by Aisha M
nope, didnt evn kno dat thread existed..where izit?

Try asking the people here what they do about it.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1611693&page=68
Reply 37
Appreciate the neg reps :biggrin:
Reply 38
Original post by Aisha M
Appreciate the neg reps :biggrin:

I'd hazard a guess that it's due to you murdering the English language.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending