The Student Room Group

DSA Assessment Refund

I undertook an assessment which I paid £100 three months or so ago. I was given the impression that this would be refunded if the assessment allowed me to get a DSA, which it did.

I have just been in contact with the university disability support office and they said:
"You have been fed some incorrect information, unfortunately. You have paid £100 towards the cost of a diagnosis of a specific learning difficulty.
You do not get a refund for this. No students at this university get a refund and no one from our office would have advised you of that.
If someone from Access Summit informed you of this they have given out incorrect information."

I was wondering, how much did you pay for your assessment?
Did you get a refund if you were entitled to DSA's?
Do you think it is worth me complaining?

I appreciate £100 isn't that much, but currently I only get the loan (no grant) and no support from my parents (who can't afford to support me), but that is the negative loophole within SFE that I am stuck in. As I live on an overdraft £100 is 5/6 weeks worth of food and means rather a lot, especially over exam period!
Mine cost me nothing. I presumed the assessment team billed the DSA service.
Reply 2
The assessment, where was it done? At your university?
Reply 3
Yes at the disability support office in the university.
Reply 4
I would make a complaint, there is no other way round it. They should not have charged you for anything. If it was a test you had to do in order to apply for DSA then the university should have invoiced SFE for it. The same thing as the needs assessment, nobody here has had to pay for it. This is just not right.
Was it the DSA needs assessment you paid for or another assessment. DSA needs assessments should be paid for but anything else, like a dyslexia assessment, isn't.
Reply 6
At my university I had to pay £50 towards the ed psych report, which otherwise would have cost a couple of hundred. As far as I'm aware this is pretty standard at universities.

You shouldn't have had to pay anything for your DSA needs assesment.
My statement of diagnoiss cost between 300 and 400 pound. My dsa needs assesmment i didnt pay for. Why are you moaning? they give u a brand new laptop printer and loads of other goodies. like mouse keyboard, disks extra harddrive, photo paper, give u 6 lessons of training for all your equimpment on laptop give you a recorder and pay 200 pound for ink cartridges/paper and 200 for internet bills a year.
Reply 8
Because I am not going to abuse the system to get a load of stuff I don't need. I already own a laptop and it works, I don't need the government to spend money on me to improve it when it could be going somewhere more important. I just feel the money that I have had to spent should be neutralized, then I would be happy to accept very little.
Reply 9
i paid for mine through the access to learning fund. you could try speaking with them

Quick Reply

Latest