Original post by FreshPrincess1
x

Original post by yamamotootsu
x

Original post by CrookedTeeth
x

Original post by carnationlilyrose
x

Thanks for all the advice, it's much appreciated.

I'll rep you tommorow

@CrookedTeeth: Yes you definately over exaggerated on the analogy :wink:

@carnationlilyrose: Lick my fingers? Well I am the type tp miss out page...

Have you got any advice for section B particularly the Argue or persaude questions or the ones that involve both?

Oh and how deep into analysis do you recommend?
Reply 21
Original post by yamamotootsu
I'm sure you'll get A* as you're a very bright:biggrin: You like exploring ideas and subjects deeply and that's exactly what examiners look for from students.

Oh thanks but I doubt it. I got a D in one the sections because I literally froze, I didn't know what to do.
Original post by rae_
Can you tell me what exactly do they want. When I see pictures I analyse them in very deep levels however they are quite 'unique' ideas like for example today I was annotating a newspaper in which it showed a police man retreating from a mob. The policeman had protective clothing yet he still had to retreat. I felt that the sheild the policeman was holding could represent the primary job of a policeman: to protect citizens. As the policeman is retreating with his protective gear this may create the sense that if the policeman can not protective himself then how is going to protect the people reading the article: citizens. The police are being disabled from there ability to protect due to 'hooligans' thus leading to the reader to feel a sense of perhaps hopelessness within the situation as they are caused to believe these hooligans are a 'threat ti national security'.

Is this too much? I know probably most of it was waffle but I do tend to get carried away...

A bit too much, and the grammatical errors/spelling mistakes undermine your arguments.
Reply 23
Original post by rae_
...other than the usual: BE ORIGINAL. I would particularly like advice for Paper One.

Many Thanks
Rae

work your ass off. nah, just work quite hard, try to improve your writing style and be unique. With poetry look for all of the techniques, and try to understand the story. I hope that helped :tongue:

Original post by rae_
Thanks for all the advice, it's much appreciated.

I'll rep you tommorow

@CrookedTeeth: Yes you definately over exaggerated on the analogy :wink:

@carnationlilyrose: Lick my fingers? Well I am the type tp miss out page...

Have you got any advice for section B particularly the Argue or persaude questions or the ones that involve both?

Oh and how deep into analysis do you recommend?

Don't spend your whole time going into massive depth on one point. Go for lots of points with one explanation about each. The mark scheme will have a list of things the examiners will expect you to comment on, plus 'etc.' at the end, so you must have quantity as well as quality for this one. Examiners will reward anything vaguely sensible and they're not looking for a Phd thesis, so make your point and move on quickly. The bit you wrote about the police will have taken you at least half the time allocated to this question and it's really only one point, so only a couple of marks gained there.
Reply 25
Original post by Mr Inquisitive
A bit too much, and the grammatical errors/spelling mistakes undermine your arguments.

Okay, thanks. I didn't really proof read that post...

Original post by mevidek
work your ass off. nah, just work quite hard, try to improve your writing style and be unique. With poetry look for all of the techniques, and try to understand the story. I hope that helped :tongue:

Thanks. When you compare poetry do you: compare language, meaning and structure or language, structure and poetic devices?

Don't spend your whole time going into massive depth on one point. Go for lots of points with one explanation about each. The mark scheme will have a list of things the examiners will expect you to comment on, plus 'etc.' at the end, so you must have quantity as well as quality for this one. Examiners will reward anything vaguely sensible and they're not looking for a Phd thesis, so make your point and move on quickly. The bit you wrote about the police will have taken you at least half the time allocated to this question and it's really only one point, so only a couple of marks gained there.

Thanks. So it about quality or quanity when it comes to these questions. Like for example lets say there was a question about language and it was worth seven marks; would I use 3/4 examples and analyse it in detail or 7 brief examples?
Reply 26
Does anyone have any advice for AQA Specification B
Reply 27
Original post by GabGirl
Does anyone have any advice for AQA Specification B

I haven't got advice since I do the other specification here is youtube channel to use for Specification B http://www.youtube.com/user/PortchesterSchool#p/u/3/7g2A8b1ocyc as it explains some of the details in the pre-release booklet

Original post by rae_
Okay, thanks. I didn't really proof read that post...

Thanks. When you compare poetry do you: compare language, meaning and structure or language, structure and poetic devices?

Thanks. So it about quality or quanity when it comes to these questions. Like for example lets say there was a question about language and it was worth seven marks; would I use 3/4 examples and analyse it in detail or 7 brief examples?

You could do it either way, to be honest. Look at the mark scheme for last year's paper and you will see that there is not a direct correlation between number of points and marks. You need 'at least one' example of use of both image and language to get 4 or 5 marks, so in theory 3 or 4 points are ample, but of course the devil is in the small print and the key bit is 'detailed/shaped/absorbed.' It's what you say about them that matters, but the ability to write one pithy sentence containing all you need and move on to the next point quickly is what will give you the best chance. To be fair, last year's paper was a bit unusual in putting image and language together in one question and the November paper went back to the usual formula, but the mark scheme isn't online yet.

http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gcse/qp-ms/AQA-37021H-W-MS-JUN10.PDF
As for the poetry, it's not an 'either/or' situation. Language and poetic devices are the same thing, really. The crucial thing is to compare the whole way through. Use lots of discourse markers (alternatively, on the other hand, in contrast etc.) to signal the progress of your argument and PEE all over it.
Original post by FreshPrincess1
- Practise as many questions as you can and try to get them marked

- Flowing structure

- Avoid too-flowery language because you might end up going off topic

- Always refer back to the question here or there to show you understood what you've been asked to discuss

- As basic as this sounds, P.E.E - Point Evidence Explanation. Do not make an assertion without backing it up and then explaining it. PEE all over your essay :smile:

- Have a look at the AQA A mark scheme for the particular module to see what the examiner is looking for - pay attention to the "AOs" and how they are weighted; such as alternative interpretations/wider reading etc

Hope this helps a bit and good luck with achieving the A/A*!

I disagree with your PEE point. My a-level english lit teacher used to mark us down for using such a formulaic structure.
Original post by Retrodiction

I disagree with your PEE point. My a-level english lit teacher used to mark us down for using such a formulaic structure.

That's A level, and it still holds true, although you should be doing it with some level of subtlety and sophistication by then. PEE is exactly what is required in GCSE. I am an examiner.
Reply 32
But he's right in that it can break up an answer into parts and hardly allows a natural flow of ideas/an argument.
Original post by Bardem

Original post by Bardem
But he's right in that it can break up an answer into parts and hardly allows a natural flow of ideas/an argument.

Well, it can if it's done by students whose ability to handle language is mediocre, but that's what discourse markers are for. Critical works don't have much credibility if they don't back up their arguments. There is no rule that says PEE has to be done in a clunking, stodgy manner with one sentence devoted to each part of it and no more, nor does it have to be done in that order, but when we are dealing with the comparatively shallow intellectual waters of GCSE, a simple rule can bail out the more modest candidates, as I can testify after teaching them for nearly 30 years.
Why is my stupid school doing the WJEC specification when AQA is so much easier?
Reply 35
Original post by LoveErinxo
Trust me, you can literally write anything in an English exam as long as you can back it up with evidence from the text and explain why you've said it. I got an A* at GCSE, and I'm convinced I did nothing but waffle the whole way through.

I feel quite reassured now, thanks :biggrin:

You could do it either way, to be honest. Look at the mark scheme for last year's paper and you will see that there is not a direct correlation between number of points and marks. You need 'at least one' example of use of both image and language to get 4 or 5 marks, so in theory 3 or 4 points are ample, but of course the devil is in the small print and the key bit is 'detailed/shaped/absorbed.' It's what you say about them that matters, but the ability to write one pithy sentence containing all you need and move on to the next point quickly is what will give you the best chance. To be fair, last year's paper was a bit unusual in putting image and language together in one question and the November paper went back to the usual formula, but the mark scheme isn't online yet.

http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gcse/qp-ms/AQA-37021H-W-MS-JUN10.PDF

Oh thank you.
That's A level, and it still holds true, although you should be doing it with some level of subtlety and sophistication by then. PEE is exactly what is required in GCSE. I am an examiner.

Your an examiner? I should have known. So when you read a canidate's work what appeals to you and what are you generally looking for in a canidate?

Sorry if I ask you too many questions...

It's exactly what they look for in GCSE. You're not supposed to do it as obviously in A-Level or at Uni, but that goes without saying?

However, it's still the most basic form of content that should be in an essay, albeit more subtle

I got an A at A-Level English Lit too so yes it works.
Reply 38
Reply 39
Original post by rae_
...other than the usual: BE ORIGINAL. I would particularly like advice for Paper One.

Many Thanks
Rae

-sort out an essay plan of all the types of things you can talk about (syntax, lexis, graphology, social (geographical and political)/historical/cultural contexts etc.) before you get into the exam and learn it off by heart (do two plans if you have to write one essay on literature and one on language)
-understanding how to write a good introduction. generally include: subject, context, audience, purpose and genre. this can give so many marks within the space of about five lines. It also gives the examiner a good impression and thus thinks more highly of you = nicer marking :wink:
-go on Amazon and buy the syllabus book. They're usually around £12, but so, so worth it.
-learn some groovylicious technical terms to throw into the exam...polyptoton, salutation, parenthesis etc.

I can not stress enough how good this advice is. This is what was gives to me and I ended up with full marks in my exam. GOOD LUCK!
xxxx Athina

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending