The Student Room Group

How do you get that A/A* in English?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by athinaxx
-sort out an essay plan of all the types of things you can talk about (syntax, lexis, graphology, social (geographical and political)/historical/cultural contexts etc.) before you get into the exam and learn it off by heart (do two plans if you have to write one essay on literature and one on language)
-understanding how to write a good introduction. generally include: subject, context, audience, purpose and genre. this can give so many marks within the space of about five lines. It also gives the examiner a good impression and thus thinks more highly of you = nicer marking :wink:
-go on Amazon and buy the syllabus book. They're usually around £12, but so, so worth it.
-learn some groovylicious technical terms to throw into the exam...polyptoton, salutation, parenthesis etc.

I can not stress enough how good this advice is. This is what was gives to me and I ended up with full marks in my exam. GOOD LUCK!
xxxx Athina

Thanks for the advice. Can you please explain to me the following terms: graphology, polyptomon, salutation and parenthesis :colondollar: Pretty much everything...

Much appreciated

I'll rep people when I get some more, I don't know why it hasn't been 'restored' yet..
Original post by athinaxx

-learn some groovylicious technical terms to throw into the exam...polyptoton, salutation, parenthesis etc.

Polyptoton (pronounced /?p?l?p?to?t?n/) is the stylistic scheme in which words derived from the same root are repeated (e.g. "strong" and "strength"). A related stylistic device is antanaclasis, in which the same word is repeated, but each time with a different sense. In inflected languages polyptoton is the same word being repeated but appearing each time in a different case. (e.g. "Iuppiter," "Iovis," "Iovi," "Iovem," "Iove" [in Latin being the nominative, genitive, dative, accusative, and ablative forms of Iuppiter, respectively]).

Don't do this. It makes examiners' hearts sink. It's pure grandstanding for the sake of it and has no place in GCSE. Honest, straightforward answers are all that is required and are perfectly capable of gaining full marks without this nonsense. This is a student showing off what a teacher who is showing off has said and it comes across as gauche and pretentious. The poster may have got full marks in her exam, but it will have been in spite of, not because of this. Any student taking the exam on Monday who is worried because of this post should put it out of their minds. (I am an examiner!)
(edited 12 years ago)
explicitly refer to the assessment objectives
Reply 43
Original post by carnationlilyrose
x

Oh, okay. I was planning to use words like synedoche or litote if it came to it in the exam, I don't those are complicated terms but do you feel if I used such would make me sound 'pretenious'? Which is really what I don't want.

Although I know that sophisticated vocabulary does not equal marks but I thought examiners love that type of jazz because it shows 'appreciation for the English Language'.

Also for writing to describe I think one of the content objectives is to use 'delight vocabulary'. What is meant by that?

Use of connectives :biggrin:
Reply 44
Original post by Alison1992
explicitly refer to the assessment objectives

Thanks but some questions can through me such as one in 2008 where it asked students 'What criticisms does Hanson make of other people's behaviour and attitudes'. I know this is about opinions but I wouldn't be sure in how to answer it.
Original post by rae_
Thanks but some questions can through me such as one in 2008 where it asked students 'What criticisms does Hanson make of other people's behaviour and attitudes'. I know this is about opinions but I wouldn't be sure in how to answer it.

well basically a simplified version of the AO's are
AO1-to be well written and good line of argument
AO2-Form and structure shaping meaning
A03-different interpretations and alternative views
A04-context

so, if you wanted to talk about AO2 for example you would say something like 'this is contributed by the author's chosen structure of the novel as...'
Reply 46
Original post by Alison1992
well basically a simplified version of the AO's are
AO1-to be well written and good line of argument
AO2-Form and structure shaping meaning
A03-different interpretations and alternative views
A04-context

so, if you wanted to talk about AO2 for example you would say something like 'this is contributed by the author's chosen structure of the novel as...'

Thanks for the advice.
Original post by rae_
Thanks for the advice.

that's alright, sometimes it can seem as though you are stating the obvious but the examiners don't want to have to search for the AO's, you're better off signposting them.
Reply 48

Hi, thanks a lot to you and the others for the really useful info you have been giving us. I also have GCSE English exams in the next two weeks and am quite nervous so it is really appreciated.

Last week I wrote what I thought was a great essay. Lots of detailed analysis into the language etc, but it only got a D. My teacher said I need to link the techniques I talked about with the context of the poem. She highlighted this paragraph in particular and said that the setting of the poem needs more detail:

Thus both poems highlight a storm from different viewpoints. In "Barnegat" the storm is described as "piercing". This presents the storm in a threatening manner; that is, normal civilisation has been interjected by "demonaic laughter" which suggests the devil is inverting normal God-given order. This is linked with the "savage trinity" of "waves, air, midnight" which has replaced the trinity of God in Christianity, affirming the devil's take-over of civilisation.

This was the paragraph after the introduction. I thought it was quite a strong part of my essay and I am not sure how I can link the points I mentioned into the context of the poem.

I am normally hovering around the A section although recently I keep on getting Cs. As you can imagine I am very disappointed especially since the exam is so near. I am getting additional help from my teacher but as you are an examiner I would seriously appreciate any advice from you since you might be marking it!!

Thanks,

Jack.
x

Do you have any advice for Writing to Describe? Thank you.
Reply 50
Original post by rae_

Thanks. When you compare poetry do you: compare language, meaning and structure or language, structure and poetic devices?

We were told to compare language meaning structure and form.
Reply 51
Original post by mevidek
We were told to compare language meaning structure and form.

Oh, okay thanks.
x

Hi, do you have any particular tips for writing to argue (i know you shouldn't choose which question you do before the exam, but i always get much lower marks in persuade and advise) or paper 2 in general? (i study cluster 1 poems)

I've already stalked most of your posts on this subject, and they've been great thanks :smile:

(Do you mark the lit exams as well?)
Reply 53
Original post by rae_
Oh, okay thanks.

no probs, but be warned that my school told me to do this so it may vary for others.
Reply 54
Original post by mevidek
no probs, but be warned that my school told me to do this so it may vary for others.

Oh, okay. Thanks anyway. I'm not really confident in comparing the meaning of the poem. Could you please explain?
Reply 55
Original post by rae_
Oh, okay. Thanks anyway. I'm not really confident in comparing the meaning of the poem. Could you please explain?

As in what is the subtext, for instance 'next to of course god america i' by E.E. Cummings is written so it is very confusing, but really is used to mock and satirize American politics and Americanism.
Reply 56
Original post by mevidek
As in what is the subtext, for instance 'next to of course god america i' by E.E. Cummings is written so it is very confusing, but really is used to mock and satirize American politics and Americanism.

Oh thanks :biggrin:
Reply 57
Well I'm currently working at an A*, so I suppose I could try and give you a few tips:

1. Use fancy words - instead of saying "very good" use a more sophisticated word, like "marvellous" or "spectacular".

2. Vary sentence structure - Use short sentences to make a point and use long sentences to be descriptive and informative.

3. Use sophisticated punctuation - semi-colons, ellipsis etc.

4. Remember to use PEA paragraphs (Point Evidence Analysis)

5. Make sure you have enough time near the end of the assessment/exam to have a fairly detailed conclusion so it doesn't look rushed and you lose marks for that.

Hope this helped!:smile:
Reply 58
Original post by rae_
Oh thanks :biggrin:

Absolutely No Problemo :wink:

let me know if you need any help!
Reply 59
In your opinion guys, which would be the better one to do - Writing to Argue or Persuade? And how would you go about doing the one you say is better? I understand either is just as good, but which one can you use more techniques and show more flair?

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending