The Student Room Group

Crushing rejections

Just been rejected after an interview for a primary PGCE course.

It the second rejection I've had.

I know there are loads of people applying but it's crushing all the same.
Hey. hang in there! Keep trying, I've had 3 rejections following an interview for primary PGCE, (ALL IN THE SAME YEAR)! The first rejection was that i did not have enough knowledge on current educational issues, so I made sure i read up on them for my second interview. I failed the Maths for my second one so was automatically rejected. In my third interview, i didnt get in because they felt my presentation ended too abruptly and i could have expanded my answers ( i admit i was quite nervous for this one.) BUT I still have two more interviews lined up for primary pgce, both in May. I was really disheartened/ depressed following these rejections, but i know i have it in me to become a primary school teacher. So take these rejections as learning curves! Good luck!:smile::smile:
Reply 2
I've been unsuccessful for SIX Universities so far. I had an interview for Chester but was unsuccessful. Manchester Metropolitan filled up before they could get round to considering me. Same with Bangor. Leeds Met and Brighton both rejected me without interview. I then applied to Greenwich - 4 weeks later I hadn't heard anything and got no answers after ringing up, so decided to use Extra and switch to Reading as they re-opened application after getting more allocations.

You will get there eventually!
Reply 3
Original post by GrublersBiyatch
Hey. hang in there! Keep trying, I've had 3 rejections following an interview for primary PGCE, (ALL IN THE SAME YEAR)! The first rejection was that i did not have enough knowledge on current educational issues, so I made sure i read up on them for my second interview. I failed the Maths for my second one so was automatically rejected. In my third interview, i didnt get in because they felt my presentation ended too abruptly and i could have expanded my answers ( i admit i was quite nervous for this one.) BUT I still have two more interviews lined up for primary pgce, both in May. I was really disheartened/ depressed following these rejections, but i know i have it in me to become a primary school teacher. So take these rejections as learning curves! Good luck!:smile::smile:

How do you have 2 primary PGCE interviews lined up? Can't you only apply to one University at a time?
You can only apply to one university at a time through GTTR. One of my interviews is via gttr, the other one is a SCITT course ( that offers pgce in primary education/ QTS at the end of it). I applied directly to the SCITT course, filled in the application form on thier website.
Reply 5
Hi there, i've also recently had a rejection following an interview. feel really down as it means waiting till next sept to start - and that providing i get a place in the next cycle!!
Think we just need to stay positive and give it another shot... i know someone who's been trying for 4 years and still not got a place!
I know how you all must feel. I had one interview with Hull University and unfortunately I got rejected and well the other Universities I have applied to have rejected me straight of without even giving me the opportunity of an interview. Onechance it's too bad about your friend, clearly she/he desperately wants to be a teacher. We are just going to have to learn from these rejections.
I've met some successful teachers who weren't accepted for a teacher training course on their first attempt (sometimes their first few attempts). But they're in schools today because they persisted and did what was necessary in the meantime (getting experience with young people, particularly in schools, reading about teaching, writing their own personal responses to typical interview questions, ...).

It's sad to hear about these rejections, but keep going. You'll be a teacher some time, if you've decided to become one.
Reply 8
If you are a primary applicant I would take whatever advice you are given, but I would not take any rejection personally. The market is saturated and they are looking for reasons to reject people. The same applies to an extent in secondary, but if you are reapplying for a second or third cycle and struggling to get interviews etc. then you should probably take the hint or be more realistic with your choices.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending