The Student Room Group

Why have entry requirments for Psychology gone through the roof all of a sudden?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by judgejohndeed
haha sorry you won't persuade me...I just find it boring. Don't care about molecules etc, I only took psychology because I thought it might be slightly useful for law and is a doss (both very true).

Well spec B is relevent, although not useful for law. We do a module on offending behaviour (i.e. is it nature or nurture) and cognition and law (i.e. what is the best way to forensically interview children, how do facial composites work). Tbh i wish more people actually knew what psychology was before they took it at a level, i have to sit in a class of 20 bored students- unlike a physics class where everyone's really motivated and inspired. And yeh im not going to judge you for not like science.......
Original post by Jacke02
Well spec B is relevent, although not useful for law. We do a module on offending behaviour (i.e. is it nature or nurture) and cognition and law (i.e. what is the best way to forensically interview children, how do facial composites work). Tbh i wish more people actually knew what psychology was before they took it at a level, i have to sit in a class of 20 bored students- unlike a physics class where everyone's really motivated and inspired. And yeh im not going to judge you for not like science.......

The only thing we've done which was relevant for law was the cognitive interview process but even so, lawyers don't tend to do this it's more like policemen and stuff so that was pretty useless too...I knew what it was and had looked at the syllabus before starting but I think maybe the way it's being taught to me is boring. And I don't like that there aren't any long essays because I actually enjoy writing 64 mark essays (English) so yeah..
Original post by Complex Simplicity
UWEs of is 360 ucas points not AAA. Ucas points includes AS levels so someone could get in with BBBa (a at as level) or ABBc (c at As level)

As for your question: psychology is an immensely popular degree program which is experiencing a rapid increase in applicants. As there are a finite number of places, universities have had to increase their entry requirements. It's no different to any other popular course.

Not strictly true, in many cases certainly. My offer was in points, but still had to be from 3 A levels or equivalent - that is what most courses/universities request.
Original post by Jacke02

I never, ever thought I'd hear that people find psychology boring and physics inspiring...

It's usually the other way around! :biggrin:
Reply 104
Original post by ilickbatteries
I never, ever thought I'd hear that people find psychology boring and physics inspiring...

It's usually the other way around! :biggrin:

well its all relative... apparently, some people even find chemistry interesting. My physics class of about 10 is much more motivated and interested than my psychology class, which has about 20+, and another class in school. It might just be because people who take physics know they will enjoy it, and some people just take psychology for the craic.
supply and demand.. (there's too much demand)
Original post by ultimate mashup
A lot of the lower ranked unis used to offer CCC now even these have gone up significantly.

West of England Uni wants AAA
Nottingham Trent Uni wants ABB
Oxford Brooks Uni wants ABB
Northumbria Uni wants ABB

For perspective, University of Nottingham wants AAB.
University of leicester wants AAB

I got an offer from leicester for psychology ABB
but don;t think I'll get the grades. I doubt I'll even get a BBB maybe a BBC or BCC so I'l ring them up on results day and pray that I get in for anyyy course, then I can always change
I heard leicester is reallllly good, so i'll just go for any course lmao

Quick Reply

Latest