The Student Room Group

Any Psychology degree students out there? :)

I've started thinking about what I want to do at uni (I'm about to take my AS exams) and I was just wondering, what A-level subjects did you have to get into your Psychology course and what sort of thing do you do on your specific course? :smile: I do Psychology, Media, Sociology and English Lit/Lang and I'm not sure my subjects are very suitable.
They're not ideal, but they will do for many departments. Be prepared for statistics and biology though.

My course has ranged anywhere between developmental psychology to molecular neuroscience.
Reply 2
I did Psychology, Law, English Lang and Biology. I find that my course is mostly biology and statistics.
Reply 3
I was studying Psychology, and I was told that you don't need any specific A Level subjects or even in fact grades to get on the course.. but then I was at a pretty new university. I had a bteq in music technology and a couple of mediocre grades in Art's subjects and Psychology.. but I also know people on the course that have a bteq in sports studies, or textiles, that fancied a change of scenory. And they where allowed on the course!

So, you have to be realistic. If your going to strive to get into a top 10 university then although your subjects are not ideal, you may be okay. Especially if you do a lot of background reading on biology/chemistry and definately statistics.

(However 2 years into my university degree I hadn't learnt anything that I hadn't already learned at As Level and I kid you not, I even handed in my As level coursework as my 2nd year coursework and got a first in it =/ so it may just be my university that it doesn't matter what grades/subjects you do ha!)
Reply 4
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
They're not ideal, but they will do for many departments. Be prepared for statistics and biology though.

My course has ranged anywhere between developmental psychology to molecular neuroscience.

I can top that. My course has ranged from existential philosophy to molecular neuroscience :biggrin:

And the maths... Oh dear god the maths.
My A-Levels were Business Studies, English and History :smile:
I took Psychology, Philosophy, English lit and Drama and am about the graduate in Psych... sooo I think many combinations work!
Reply 7
From what i've seen at open days, even places like oxford, teach the statistics from scratch, assuming no prior knowledge in maths. Just look at the course requirements online! Newer unis will be less fussy though...
Reply 8
I studied: Psychology, Health and social care and Business studies and i'm going to be studying Psychology in September. Although i'm preparing myself for all the statistics and Biology approaches to Psychology.. :smile:
Reply 9
I studied Psychology (Got an A which helped), Biology, Eng Lit, As level history.

The thing to realise is that if you are considering a career in psychology you need to do a BPS approved psych degree, they are all BSc psych degrees, not BA psych!

My degree had lots of stats and biology as BPS accredited course cover neuroscience, cognitive psych, pain management, memory, the senses. All of which are biology based. However the course also included sociological psych to a degree.

I have to admit I got quite a shock when I realised the extent of stats in the course, but universities that want their students to do well really support you with the stats. We had stats lectures, workshops and you could get one to one help.

My degree was definitely a jump up from A level, yes in the first year they cover some things from A level psych as they are training to get everyone on the same page, as some may not have done A level psych. But your 2nd and 3rd year is definitely completely different and much harder than A-level psych.

Hope that helps.

Fitzyditzy

p.s. my cohort always collectively scored higher on the more sciencey (perceived as harder) assignments than topics in social psychology!
(edited 12 years ago)
I did Biology, Maths, Psychology and Law, dropped Bio and Maths and picked up History. I guess the subject I picked are quite rigorous but I only do 2 A-levels in Psych and Law. I managed to get 5 offers though (admittedly from fairly middle-low ranking unis).
Original post by EP2be

The thing to realise is that if you are considering a career in psychology you need to do a BPS approved psych degree, they are all BSc psych degrees, not BA psych!

There are a few BA degrees like oxbridge and st. andrews which don't seem to be any different, but maybe its just their tradition or something.

Quick Reply

Latest