The Student Room Group

A Level Italian-what do u think?

Im currently doing AS Level Italian (at school), having done both Italian and French at GCSE. I am now having doubts about it. I may possibly drop it at the end of this year, and I sometimes regret taking it- one of the main reasons being not many schools do it, and therefore perhaps it maybe considered an inferior language A level to French/German/Spanish, which are more 'widely recognised'. I am worried that this may look strange on my ucas form next year :confused: Do you think it would look like i did it as an external a level- meaning, studied it outside of school because i'm italian (which im not).

Hope that makes sense- i know i ramble sometimes!! :biggrin:
Im sure it wouldnt look strange.. i want to do italian gcse on top of French and German A level which i am studying at the moment.. two languages can be tough at times i agree and without one of my french teachers being very supportive at the moment im finding it really hard.Ive studied french for 7 years and german for 5 now and ive always had an ethusiasm for languages. I really want to be a translator actually i personally think its better doing a more unusul language than french and german because every school does them! I missed out on doing italian by 1 year.. and probably would have enjoyed it more than german now.. because a level german grammar is tough. Especialy because it is my second language and most of the people in my class are from the 1st language people :frown: Id say you chose well to do italian.. if i had the chance i would have done it.. stick at it!!!! :wink: love carole xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I don't think it's inferior at all- if anything, it will make you stand out more because hardly anyone does it. It should be obvious from the information on your UCAS form that you're not Italian and you don't live in Italy. If you drop it, drop it because you're not enjoying it or you're finding it difficult, not because you don't think it will be recognised.
Thanks guys- given me the injection of enthusiasm i needed! You're right, I have friends that do French, German and Spanish and they all seem much harder- pronounciation and even grammar wise. It is hard, but so are most A Levels, especially language ones as there is a certain amount of 'own work' u have to do such as reading foreign newspapers etc. Universities love language A levels especially as they are becoming less popular so i guess i'll just have to grin and bear it :smile:
aww hun dont b discouraged...and dont let teachers discourage you.. that what ive learnt from languages..my french teacher ive had her for the last 5 years and shes always thought i had something special with languages.. now shes negative towards me and doesnt care... and this all makes me less confident and i feel really discouraged but my other french/german teacher and german teacher are absolutely brilliant.. but if it wernt for them in languages id probably leave.. im risking failing as it is with my teacher who is making me feel so depressed about languages at the moment:frown:
Reply 5
Don't drop Italian, it's such an amazing language!! :biggrin:
Reply 6
Sorry but I agree with Becca I'm loving Italian and finding it really easy.

Personally I wouldn't drop a subject anyway -having spent a long time struggling at it don't give up but atleast you'll be able to say I tried. I think it will look worse on your UCAS if you had say AABB and dropped italian than if you were to have ABBCC including italian.

Never, Never, Never Give Up!

Latest