The Student Room Group

Challenge: Lose 1 stone/ 14 lbs/ 6.35 kg in 28 days

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Theconomist
Sorry to break your bubbles girls but 1 kilo=7000 calories.
Even if your BMR is 2000 which is very unlikely and you eat only 1000 calories a day + do 2hours of medium-high intensity cardio a day to burn another 1000 calorie you will only be able to burn 1 kilo a week which would ammount to 4 in 28 day period.
Instead of losing some useless water weight which won't change your body at all how about you hit the free weights and tone up your body which will actually be more beneficial considering you aren't really fat.

I'm fat.
by over 12kg. :frown:
Chop off a limb because anything short of that and you're going to fail.
It's practically impossible due to your time-period.
Reply 22
Sounds interesting, I'll join.
I'm not looking to lose as much as a stone though. I'll post my stats a little later.
Reply 23
Original post by Theconomist
Sorry to break your bubbles girls but 1 kilo=7000 calories.
Even if your BMR is 2000 which is very unlikely and you eat only 1000 calories a day + do 2hours of medium-high intensity cardio a day to burn another 1000 calorie you will only be able to burn 1 kilo a week which would ammount to 4 in 28 day period.
Instead of losing some useless water weight which won't change your body at all how about you hit the free weights and tone up your body which will actually be more beneficial considering you aren't really fat.

You haven't factored in the after burn effect after training with weights... after resistance training, your metabolic rate can be spiked for upto 72 hours after training, so I'm relying on that.

And ofc, I'll be training with weights, and doing bodyweight workouts!
Reply 24
Original post by Troubled_Student
Chop off a limb because anything short of that and you're going to fail.
It's practically impossible due to your time-period.

Can't knock it til' you've tried it. Wish me luck!
Original post by malaikah
You haven't factored in the after burn effect after training with weights... after resistance training, your metabolic rate can be spiked for upto 72 hours after training, so I'm relying on that.

You are not going to lose 6.8 kilos in 4 weeks unless you go extreme in which case all you will lose is water and muscle weight.
I know how you feel(wanting to lose the weight) but get a realistic goal.I can lose 5 kilos in one day and I can tell you how to as well it's not hard but it will be all water weight and ineffective.

Look at the advice I gave to your friend below and follow it.

Original post by helpnowplease
I'm fat.
by over 12kg. :frown:

Get a real diet that you can actually follow through.
Check your BMR then substract 500 calories and eat only that ammount a day.
+ do 500 calorie workouts every day or every other day depending on your fitness level.
You'll lose a steady 0.5 kilos a week.
Step on the scales, and you see you've gained weight. But not a few pounds: oh, no.
Not even half a stone.

But a whole, friggin' stone.

Now obviously, something has to be done. Summer's around the corner, weddings are approaching (I'm asian... need I say more? Gotta look in good in that sari! :wink:)

This thread will, from Monday 14th May, detail my workouts (which have been designed by a fitness coach) and diet to the t.
Guidelines: one full cheat day a week to boost leptin levels, the other six days: low fat, low carb, high protein.

I'll follow the above diet for a month and then transition into a less strict diet with a slightly higher carb intake (combined with protein) in the morning, and a combo of fat and protein meals for the rest of the day.

I'm determined to stick to this, if you'd like to join in, you're more than welcome to!

Starting stats
Weight: 10 stone 2lbs
Height: 5'4
Bodyweight percentage: 28%

ive lost 7kg in a 2month period 76-69kg, but that was moderate exercise i would say average of 2 runs a week, and mostly just watching what i eat, and not snacking on chocolate and burgers daily :tongue:

So i think it mite be possible for you to achieve this, best of luck
Reply 27
That's why it's only for a month, and a Cheat Day scheduled per week.

I'm not even sure how to reply to that without sounding like a snobbish tosser.

Good luck, let us know how it goes in a few months time and whether you manage to keep the weight off and how your body composition is.
Reply 28
I'll be aiming for around 900 calories, apart from the weekly Cheat Day, where you don't count calories at all. Eat what you want, when you want (trust me: it works).

Warning: protein such as fish and egg whites begin to taste like crap when you eat them almost everyday

You're more than welcome to moan about how vile it tastes! :wink:

900???????? thats way too low
Reply 29

If you're going to be doing free weights and a power lifting workout then seriously consider increasing your intake. You can work out your Base Metabolic Rate here.

Added muscle and changing your body composition to be contain more lean muscle will mean you burn calories at rest.

I used this fitness guide when I first started working on my health. Since then I've lost about 20% of my original weight.
(edited 12 years ago)
Can't knock it til' you've tried it. Wish me luck!

I don't want to loose weight, which means I won't be trying it. However what I can tell you is you'll be lucky to lose more than half a stone, if that, within a month.
Reply 31
Original post by Coldeh
If you're going to be doing free weights and a power lifting workout then seriously consider increasing your intake. You can work out your Base Metabolic Rate here.

Added muscle and changing your body composition to be contain more lean muscle will mean you burn calories at rest.

I used this fitness guide when I first started working on my health. Since then I've lost about 20% of my original weight.

Thanks for that- I'll have a read :smile:

Original post by Troubled_Student
I don't want to loose weight, which means I won't be trying it. However what I can tell you is you'll be lucky to lose more than half a stone, if that, within a month.

*shrug* Fair enough!
Reply 32
Actually it does: carbs, protein, and fat all have different thermogenic factors.
30% of the calories contained in food that is 100% protein will be burnt in actually being broken down. And so ultimately, you're ingesting fewer calories than you originally thought!

um no.

calories in < calories out
Reply 33
Original post by int92
um no.

calories in < calories out

Sorry brah but she's kinda right. Calories are determined by a calorimeter, which essentially burns the food in an oxygen environment and the rise in temperature of the water gives the energy per gram. However a 'colorimeter' is not a good approximation for our stomachs since we do not burn the food in oxygen. The efficiency of converting food to energy is different for each food. Simple sugars are easy to digest but we are unlikely to be able to get much energy from grass even though it might contain many calories ect
Reply 34
Original post by Bloodbath
Sorry brah but she's kinda right. Calories are determined by a calorimeter, which essentially burns the food in an oxygen environment and the rise in temperature of the water gives the energy per gram. However a 'colorimeter' is not a good approximation for our stomachs since we do not burn the food in oxygen. The efficiency of converting food to energy is different for each food. Simple sugars are easy to digest but we are unlikely to be able to get much energy from grass even though it might contain many calories ect

still, the difference isnt great or noticable
Reply 35
Right, so it all begins tomorrow (woohoooo!)

To increase flexibility, I'll begin the day with a Neural wake up call as detailed below:

A1) Left leg single squat, 10 reps
A2) Right leg single squat
B) Alternating Duck Unders
C1) Plank, 30 secs
C2) Halfway push up hold, 45 secs
D1) Left Bulgarian Split Squat Hold, 40 secs
D2) Left leg spiderman lunge, 10 reps
E1) Right Bulgarian Split Squat Hold, 40 secs
E2) Right leg spiderman lunge, 10 reps

Head to the gym and go through an Upper Body workout:

A) Y Press. 5 sets, 8-10 reps
B1) Upright Row. 4 sets, 10-15 reps
B2) Lateral Raise. 4 sets, 10-12 reps
C) High Incline DB Bench Press. 4 sets, 6-10 reps
D) Bent Over DB Row. 2 sets, 12 per arm twice
E1) Offset Pushup. 2 sets per arm, 8 reps
E2) Garhammer Raise. 1 set, 10-15 reps

Followed by a HIIT workout:

Work (secs)
Rest (secs)

After that, dash home and begin my Cheat Day whilst rushing to get ready for college!
(I'm tired just reading about my workout... I'll have to wake up at at some ridiculous time like 4.30 friggin AM... oh well!)
This means... I should go to bed.

Ciao!
P.S. Anyone who's wanting to follow, youtube videos if you're not sure of any of the exercises :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
I'll be aiming for around 900 calories, apart from the weekly Cheat Day, where you don't count calories at all. Eat what you want, when you want (trust me: it works).

Warning: protein such as fish and egg whites begin to taste like crap when you eat them almost everyday

You're more than welcome to moan about how vile it tastes! :wink:

900 calories = a good breakfast. This is just a bad idea, no wonder you struggle to keep the weight off.

And I eat tuna everyday, it still tastes good to me. You just need to get used to it and remember food is fuel for the body. Though if you have time you can make healthy food taste good.

Edit: This thread is full of so much fail its funny. Everyone comes out saying they want to join in when its a crap plan but when people post a good method for losing weight everyone stays quiet and ignores it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 37
I want to subscribe...but im not starting until next week (when exams finish) I was 9 stone 7 before exams and wanted to lose half a stone, unfortunately am now 10 stone...so need to lose a stone too :smile: I'm 5'7/8
Original post by sfitz1
I want to subscribe...but im not starting until next week (when exams finish) I was 9 stone 7 before exams and wanted to lose half a stone, unfortunately am now 10 stone...so need to lose a stone too :smile: I'm 5'7/8

Why not follow a deccent exercise and nutrition plan that will achieve the result your after as opposed to this large pile of fail?
Reply 39
Original post by ChaoticMaster
Why not follow a deccent exercise and nutrition plan that will achieve the result your after as opposed to this large pile of fail?

I just want to lose weight :s-smilie: Whats wrong with this? If you have a diet plan id be happy to try it out!!

Quick Reply

Latest