The Student Room Group

Challenge: Lose 1 stone/ 14 lbs/ 6.35 kg in 28 days

Scroll to see replies

Original post by int92
still, the difference isnt great or noticable

You don't know what you're talking about, do you?
Original post by sfitz1
I just want to lose weight :s-smilie: Whats wrong with this? If you have a diet plan id be happy to try it out!!

A stone in a month isn't a realistic goal so its a bad starting point and 900 calories a day is too few. Your more likely to stray from the diet on so few calories and your likely to lose more muscle mass than fat which won't improve the way you look. A better apporach would be to aim for around 1200-1400 calories a day and adopt a better weight training routine whilst aiming to lose at most 2lbs a week.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=887324 read that for the basic information. It also provides some sample workouts. Diet wise I would advise a low to medium carb intake and a high protein intake and medium fat intake. For breakfast I would reccomend museli or porridge, for lunch a tuna sandwhich then for dinner chicken breats with vegtables.

Chicken is good as it can be seasoned in differnt ways for variations. You could replace it with turkey, you could also replace the tuna with chicken or turkey.

Powerlifter has a thread where he offers advice. He can give you better and more detailed advice than I can though I'm willing to help as much as I can.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by CB91
You don't know what you're talking about, do you?

so a diet based on calories in< calories out which has worked millions of times is wrong?

yea there might be a slight bit of inaccuracy but overall it doesnt make a difference based on the fact that maaaaaaaany ppl use this method effectively. without counting the 'thermogenic effect' of it, no need to be that accurate. by that logic if you are being so accurate then why not work out how many calories you use per day exactly? its impossible, therefore the EXACT amount of calories you consume is pointless too. unless you want as low as possible, but thats retarded.
Original post by int92
so a diet based on calories in< calories out which has worked millions of times is wrong?

yea there might be a slight bit of inaccuracy but overall it doesnt make a difference based on the fact that maaaaaaaany ppl use this method effectively. without counting the 'thermogenic effect' of it, no need to be that accurate. by that logic if you are being so accurate then why not work out how many calories you use per day exactly? its impossible, therefore the EXACT amount of calories you consume is pointless too. unless you want as low as possible, but thats retarded.

Well durrr, of course that method works. But a calorie isnt just a calorie. To say that it has 'little to no effect' what type of food is eaten is stupid. What you eat is just as important as how much you eat.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by CB91
Well durrr, of course that method works. But a calorie isnt just a calorie. To say that it has 'little to no effect' what type of food is eaten is stupid. What you eat is just as important as how much you eat.

it depends on what you are talking about.

i was talking purely about weight loss, and in that case the type of food DOESNT MATTER. calories in < calories out thermodynamics, energy cant be created or destroyed.

if u mean general health then yes it matters.
Original post by int92
it depends on what you are talking about.

i was talking purely about weight loss, and in that case the type of food DOESNT MATTER. calories in < calories out thermodynamics, energy cant be created or destroyed.

if u mean general health then yes it matters.

Of course for losing fat it matters. :facepalm2:

I'm not even going to bother talking to you when you think that it doesn't matter what you eat.
Reply 46
Original post by CB91
Of course for losing fat it matters. :facepalm2:

I'm not even going to bother talking to you when you think that it doesn't matter what you eat.

For 10 weeks, Mark Haub, a professor of human nutrition at Kansas State University, ate one of these sugary cakelets every three hours, instead of meals. To add variety in his steady stream of Hostess and Little Debbie snacks, Haub munched on Doritos chips, sugary cereals and Oreos, too.

His premise: That in weight loss, pure calorie counting is what matters most -- not the nutritional value of the food.

The premise held up: On his "convenience store diet," he shed 27 pounds in two months.

For a class project, Haub limited himself to less than 1,800 calories a day. A man of Haub's pre-dieting size usually consumes about 2,600 calories daily. So he followed a basic principle of weight loss: He consumed significantly fewer calories than he burned.

His body mass index went from 28.8, considered overweight, to 24.9, which is normal. He now weighs 174 pounds.

But you might expect other indicators of health would have suffered. Not so.

Haub's "bad" cholesterol, or LDL, dropped 20 percent and his "good" cholesterol, or HDL, increased by 20 percent. He reduced the level of triglycerides, which are a form of fat, by 39 percent."

ill leave this here, im going to sleep. do some research.

a calorie is a measure of energy, if u use more energy than u consume then ur body uses energy from fat.
Original post by int92
For 10 weeks, Mark Haub, a professor of human nutrition at Kansas State University, ate one of these sugary cakelets every three hours, instead of meals. To add variety in his steady stream of Hostess and Little Debbie snacks, Haub munched on Doritos chips, sugary cereals and Oreos, too.

His premise: That in weight loss, pure calorie counting is what matters most -- not the nutritional value of the food.

The premise held up: On his "convenience store diet," he shed 27 pounds in two months.

For a class project, Haub limited himself to less than 1,800 calories a day. A man of Haub's pre-dieting size usually consumes about 2,600 calories daily. So he followed a basic principle of weight loss: He consumed significantly fewer calories than he burned.

His body mass index went from 28.8, considered overweight, to 24.9, which is normal. He now weighs 174 pounds.

But you might expect other indicators of health would have suffered. Not so.

Haub's "bad" cholesterol, or LDL, dropped 20 percent and his "good" cholesterol, or HDL, increased by 20 percent. He reduced the level of triglycerides, which are a form of fat, by 39 percent."

ill leave this here, im going to sleep. do some research.

a calorie is a measure of energy, if u use more energy than u consume then ur body uses energy from fat.

Try reading next time. :facepalm2:

Im not disputing the fact that it works, I said it did in a previous post. But you are going to see far better results if you eat the proper foods, not 'anything you want'.

And the last bolded bit. You're body doesn't always take solely from your fat reserves. Again, it depends on your diet.
Reply 48
Seriously. Just cut carbs completely out for 2-3 weeks and do an hour of walking a day. My mum and me do this once or twice a year and drop a stone easily.

If im hungry I just eat an apple. For dinner I usually have meat+salad. For breakfast greek yoghurt + fig jam. And for lunch a fruit salad. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. Its harder for me because I hate vegatables but still really easy and I guarantee it works.
(edited 12 years ago)
I will join but will aim to lose about 10lbs, don't think I can lose 1 stone in a month :p: I want to fit back into my clothes again basically!!

I am planning to exercise 4 times a week and cut down on carbs, mainly in the evening and increase protein/dairy products as they seem to fill me up the best. I will have bread but only early in the day and maybe before weights.

I am 5'9- 5'10" and reckon I am nearly 11 stone (don't weigh myself but go by clothes) and think if I lose about 10lbs it will make a big difference.

Luckily I am catered so I am able to have salads during the week with different protein...
Reply 50
Original post by wactm
Seriously. Just cut carbs completely out for 2-3 weeks and do an hour of walking a day. My mum and me do this once or twice a year and drop a stone easily.

If im hungry I just eat an apple. For dinner I usually have meat+salad. For breakfast greek yoghurt + fig jam. And for lunch a fruit salad. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. Its harder for me because I hate vegatables but still really easy and I guarantee it works.

a stone in 2-3 weeks? ost of that is water weight or muscle
Reply 51
Original post by polka_dott
I will join but will aim to lose about 10lbs, don't think I can lose 1 stone in a month :p: I want to fit back into my clothes again basically!!

I am planning to exercise 4 times a week and cut down on carbs, mainly in the evening and increase protein/dairy products as they seem to fill me up the best. I will have bread but only early in the day and maybe before weights.

I am 5'9- 5'10" and reckon I am nearly 11 stone (don't weigh myself but go by clothes) and think if I lose about 10lbs it will make a big difference.

Luckily I am catered so I am able to have salads during the week with different protein...

Cool! Try and workout early in the day if you can, before you consume carbs :smile:
Reply 52
So after today, I'm feeling pretty bloated, looking forward to working out tomorrow!

I'll be fasting tomorrow (i.e. no food, only water), let's see if I'm as unwilling to eat then as I am now....

Neural Wake up Call as detailed earlier upon waking up, followed by a Lower Body Workout:

A1) Reverse lunges: 3 sets, 12 per leg
A2) Bulgarian Split Squat (I HATE these...: 3 sets, 5, 5, 5
B1) Single leg Romanian Deadlift: 2 sets, 6-8 per leg
B2) Lunge/Jump Squat Combo: 2 sets, 6 reps
C) One leg Hip Raise: 4 sets, 8 per leg
D1) Dumbbell Stiff Legged Deadlift: 1 set, 15 reps
D2) Transition immediately from last deadlift to the plank Hold for as long as possible
E) Hand Walkout: 2 sets, 6 reps

Followed up by a ten minute treadmill walk, may do some HIIT later on in the day...

And with that, I'm gonna finish up this Cheat Day with a cup of sweet tea :smile: Ciao!
Original post by malaikah
So after today, I'm feeling pretty bloated, looking forward to working out tomorrow!

I'll be fasting tomorrow (i.e. no food, only water), let's see if I'm as unwilling to eat then as I am now....Neural Wake up Call as detailed earlier upon waking up, followed by a Lower Body Workout:

D2) Transition immediately from last deadlift to the plank Hold for as long as possible

Followed up by a ten minute treadmill walk, may do some HIIT later on in the day...

And with that, I'm gonna finish up this Cheat Day with a cup of sweet tea :smile: Ciao!

wow, that's the dumbest thing you've said yet. And you've said a lot of dumb things in this thread.
Reply 54

I'll be fasting tomorrow (i.e. no food, only water), let's see if I'm as unwilling to eat then as I am now....

Neural Wake up Call as detailed earlier upon waking up, followed by a Lower Body Workout:

So you finally started, goodluck......can i join in..lol
dnt reckon i could stick to 900 calories though... :s-smilie:

i do think you should re-evaluate the 900 calorie thing though....it would probably be simple for the first few days but after that it would be near impossible to stick to it, which would probably end in a hugeee binge..lol

And btw.... a good tip:

try snacking on vegetables thoughout the day, they really do help in making you feel full, alot more then high protein IMO
Reply 55
Original post by ChaoticMaster
wow, that's the dumbest thing you've said yet. And you've said a lot of dumb things in this thread.

You're more than welcome to have an opinion on this, but I didn't like reading the above post because it's an insult. If you're only going to post to insult, then please don't post; otherwise if you do, I won't reply. Thanks :smile:

Original post by wikey
So you finally started, goodluck......can i join in..lol
dnt reckon i could stick to 900 calories though... :s-smilie:

i do think you should re-evaluate the 900 calorie thing though....it would probably be simple for the first few days but after that it would be near impossible to stick to it, which would probably end in a hugeee binge..lol

And btw.... a good tip:

try snacking on vegetables thoughout the day, they really do help in making you feel full, alot more then high protein IMO

Thanks for the constructive criticism :smile:
I'm the sorta person who doesn't get hungry easily, and when I've done Protein-only diets before, I've felt pretty full after having not eaten much food...

At times I've found I've consumed even fewer calories than 900, and I can't even force myself to eat more as I feel sick :s-smilie: So I tend to go with the flow and eat when I'm hungry. I'll have a bowl of veg if any *cravings* start (if you can have a veg craving :rolleyes:)

Also, more than welcome to join!
Reply 56
You're more than welcome to have an opinion on this, but I didn't like reading the above post because it's an insult. If you're only going to post to insult, then please don't post; otherwise if you do, I won't reply. Thanks :smile:

Thanks for the constructive criticism :smile:
I'm the sorta person who doesn't get hungry easily, and when I've done Protein-only diets before, I've felt pretty full after having not eaten much food...

At times I've found I've consumed even fewer calories than 900, and I can't even force myself to eat more as I feel sick :s-smilie: So I tend to go with the flow and eat when I'm hungry. I'll have a bowl of veg if any *cravings* start (if you can have a veg craving :rolleyes:)

Also, more than welcome to join!

i'm not gonna join, your in competition with my thread :biggrin:

no one signed up for mine, guess no guys really wanna lose weight, there more interested in gaining it..lol

and ignore people like that guy above me, i had people come to my thread and say really stupid things thinking they were clever. In actual fact i've been training alot longer then them, have made much better gains then them, and still they think they know more then me. :s-smilie:
Reply 57
Original post by wikey
i'm not gonna join, your in competition with my thread :biggrin:

no one signed up for mine, guess no guys really wanna lose weight, there more interested in gaining it..lol

and ignore people like that guy above me, i had people come to my thread and say really stupid things thinking they were clever. In actual fact i've been training alot longer then them, have made much better gains then them, and still they think they know more then me. :s-smilie:

Try putting some workouts up, and you'll make it a real competition :wink:

And thankyou- I appreciate it :smile: I don't know if it's TSR, but when at the gym people are usually interested to know what it is I'm doing to get my figure, so they trust I've done some research. Isn't really the case here!
Food:
2 banana's.
domino's small pizza for lunch :/ (been a long time since ive had one!) ohh, thats around 776 calories IN ONE MEAL! !!!! Wow. never touchign that.
half a cookie.

dinner: rice noodles with chinese stirfry.

1500 calories. that means this was a bad day :P
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm consuming a lot of coffee for exams, and eating crap basically. i need to stop, i lost from 18th april, till 18th may. so it took a month for that to come off. I wan tto lose 5 more kg! and i'll be back to the weight i was last year!

Tomorrow's diet:

bran flakes- 25 g.

lunch: oranges, banana, cellury and hummus.

snack:cheese and crackers.

450 more calories to consume :redface: i'll be okay! :P

Quick Reply

Latest