Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who's volunteered for the olympics?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi I was offered a role on the transport team for Paralympics (venue Olympic village) I have just booked my role specific training ....has anyone done it already ?. I interviewed in feb for loading and pacing ( to go through security) but got offered transport which I'm pleased about. haven't heard about Olympics yet would like to do same job for both but will take what role I'm given if any
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be working, otherwise I would have.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toni20)
    Hello, yes I went for interview in January 2012. I was over the moon when this opportunity came up as I was gutted to miss out on submitting a games maker application in time. But it seems that people had already been assigned these roles we applied for before we were even interviewed?

My status also says 'application is under review' for both. Debating whether to ring up now though as you wouldn't have known your situation otherwise, I just hate waiting and wish they'd tell us.

I was wondering about the application form detail, but I thought they'd have asked us to fill that out if they needed us to? As it does say application complete in another email.
    I was exactly the same..yes it seemed that way which is really annoying as why interview us if the places had already been taken..I travelled 231 miles to get there for the interview.

It had been about 4weeks after the interview and I had 2 phone calls asking for dress sizes and measurements so I got all excited and thought Ill leave it to ask whether id got a role thinkin it must be positive news..after alot of other disappointments in my life atm I thought Ill email and put my mind at rest and then find out im on a reserve list. Told me just to wait and keep an eye out. I hate waiting too..I guess when people find out the shifts or go to a test event and cant commit and pull out thats are only opportunity.

Yeah..I thought Id just fill in any bits that I could that where blank as a guess they look at them.

You will have to let me know if you email them!! At least I no im not the only 1 in the same boat!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ss770)
    I was exactly the same..yes it seemed that way which is really annoying as why interview us if the places had already been taken..I travelled 231 miles to get there for the interview.

It had been about 4weeks after the interview and I had 2 phone calls asking for dress sizes and measurements so I got all excited and thought Ill leave it to ask whether id got a role thinkin it must be positive news..after alot of other disappointments in my life atm I thought Ill email and put my mind at rest and then find out im on a reserve list. Told me just to wait and keep an eye out. I hate waiting too..I guess when people find out the shifts or go to a test event and cant commit and pull out thats are only opportunity.

Yeah..I thought Id just fill in any bits that I could that where blank as a guess they look at them.

You will have to let me know if you email them!! At least I no im not the only 1 in the same boat!!
    Yeah I will be really annoyed if it turns out all places had already been occupied!

I've also had phone calls, first one asking about safeguarding etc and second one also about uniform measurements. What email address did you email? I rang up and they said I'm being processed if I remember rightly and that all I can keep doing is checking regularly.

I will want to know why though if I've been unsuccessful as I thought I interviewed really well.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Just got an e-mail regarding Event Services Team RST. There are many dates available, from the 20th to 30th of April, however I'm not entirely sure if I'm going to be free any of those days :|
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hafa)
    Just got an e-mail regarding Event Services Team RST. There are many dates available, from the 20th to 30th of April, however I'm not entirely sure if I'm going to be free any of those days :|
    You ring and ask if they have any other RST dates available if you arent able to make any of them.
    Alot of people are either booking time of work or taking a day off uni to attend their RST dates
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VickyTink)
    I only had my interview (telephone) for event services yesterday, and was told it could be up to a month before I hear anything, so I'm guessing they haven't started selecting people for this role yet?
    They definitely have - I got a offer soon after my interview (Feb '12) and I have friends who were offered EVS team jobs at the back end of last year.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ss770)
    They wouldn't be interviewing for positions that don't exist now.

What is happening at this stage in the process is they are filling in gaps from the 3rd choice selections we all made when we applied. My third choice was "Any function area", I didn't choose Event Services as either of my other choices.

That's why some people got interviews very early and others didn't, those who were selective at the start and met some form of criteria got the interviews in the first batch - whilst those who were inappropriate for their 1st/2nd choices yet deem to be alright in their third choice are getting interviews now.

So basically, if we get an interview in early 2012 - we've only got our own choices back in 2010 to blame!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanielWhit)
    They wouldn't be interviewing for positions that don't exist now.

What is happening at this stage in the process is they are filling in gaps from the 3rd choice selections we all made when we applied. My third choice was "Any function area", I didn't choose Event Services as either of my other choices.

That's why some people got interviews very early and others didn't, those who were selective at the start and met some form of criteria got the interviews in the first batch - whilst those who were inappropriate for their 1st/2nd choices yet deem to be alright in their third choice are getting interviews now.

So basically, if we get an interview in early 2012 - we've only got our own choices back in 2010 to blame!

The application form me and toni20 and many others filled in was completely different than a gamesmaker application and was specifically for victory and welcoming ceremonies only as this was only released in November 2011 and closed early Jan 2012! That's why interviews have only just happened and haven't got any other choices to fall back on. So your very lucky even if you get your 3rd choice!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    my interview (telephone) for event services yesterday, and was told it could be up to a month before I hear anything, so I'm guessing they haven't started selecting people for this role yet?
    EVS is one of the largest groups, (second only to transport') they need ten thousand, many have been selected, still interviewing for more.

Yeah I will be really annoyed if it turns out all places had already been occupied!
    You will find out by the end of April

I will want to know why though if I've been unsuccessful as I thought I interviewed really well.
    Had a few mention this, your interview was important, but your application form was even more important, they wanted to know how committed you were in the interview, but the roles were offered on what you had done in the past. If you had made 'tea' for the local football team for the last thirty years, or had played a very good game of football, who do you think they would offer a volunteering job too? Heard of one man, disgruntled , as have not yet been offered a role, quoted, 'how he blew the interviewer away with his coaching and playing skills, ' but maybe his volunteering skills were lacking?

Those who have been offered a gamesmaker role might like to join up with a group of 700 + on face book www.facebook.com/2012VolunteerGamesmaker
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    my interview (telephone) for event services yesterday, and was told it could be up to a month before I hear anything, so I'm guessing they haven't started selecting people for this role yet?
    EVS is one of the largest groups, (second only to transport') they need ten thousand, many have been selected, still interviewing for more.

Had a few mention this, your interview was important, but your application form was even more important, they wanted to know how committed you were in the interview, but the roles were offered on what you had done in the past. If you had made 'tea' for the local football team for the last thirty years, or had played a very good game of football, who do you think they would offer a volunteering job too? Heard of one man, disgruntled , as have not yet been offered a role, quoted, 'how he blew the interviewer away with his coaching and playing skills, ' but maybe his volunteering skills were lacking?

Those who have been offered a gamesmaker role might like to join up with a group of 700 + on face book www.facebook.com/2012VolunteerGamesmaker
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Divingbrit)

But that's the thing though, I've applied for a role within the victory ceremonies whereby it was a different application process. I had to fill out a basic application form that asked what my 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice roles were etc and send it off with a covering letter. I then went to interview and only after that was I sent a link to my 'games maker' application with just my basic details in as I hadn't previously had to fill one in. So what am I going to be assigned a role on when I haven't been asked my previous etc. This is what is causing confusion amongst the victory ceremonies volunteers which we thought were different to games makers?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    But that's the thing though, I've applied for a role within the victory ceremonies whereby it was a different application process. I had to fill out a basic application form that asked what my 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice roles were etc and send it off with a covering letter. I then went to interview and only after that was I sent a link to my 'games maker' application with just my basic details in as I hadn't previously had to fill one in. So what am I going to be assigned a role on when I haven't been asked my previous etc. This is what is causing confusion amongst the victory ceremonies volunteers which we thought were different to games makers?
    Well said Toni20!! Couldn't of put it better myself! I do voluntary work 6days and a week and a sports person yet I only got to mention it on a covering letter..no questions asked at the formal interview regarding it, definitely not a enough to sell yourself. And tbh I don't think they even looked at the form we filled in on the interview day as Ive had the same question asked 4 times now despite filling a form in everytime i've been asked.
    Guess going to have to wait till end of april then..:curious:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ss770)
    Well said Toni20!! Couldn't of put it better myself! I do voluntary work 6days and a week and a sports person yet I only got to mention it on a covering letter..no questions asked at the formal interview regarding it, definitely not a enough to sell yourself. And tbh I don't think they even looked at the form we filled in on the interview day as Ive had the same question asked 4 times now despite filling a form in everytime i've been asked.
    Guess going to have to wait till end of april then..:curious:
    Yeah it's really frustrating isn't it. Who did you email when you previously mentioned you did? As when I rung the number given, the man on the other end of the phone didn't know what I was trying to explain. He just kept asking if i was a games maker or not! He then said to just keep checking as that's all I can do :confused:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's really frustrating isn't it. Who did you email when you previously mentioned you did? As when I rung the number given, the man on the other end of the phone didn't know what I was trying to explain. He just kept asking if i was a games maker or not! He then said to just keep checking as that's all I can do :confused:
    Hi Toni20, Ill send it you in a private message. When I rang too when I was trying to sort my interview selection day as I had no button to press nobody seem to understand me and I just kept gettin put through to the Gamesmaker team which mean't they knew nothing about it.
    I heard that 2morrow is the last day of interviews so I guess after tomoz they will be sorting everything out. So I think if ive not heard anything mid April Ill give them a ring again.
    Just going to have to keep checking everyday!!:sigh:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi Toni20, Have you heard anything yet or contacted them? Im still holding on..:boring:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ss770)
    Hi Toni20, Have you heard anything yet or contacted them? Im still holding on..:boring:
    Hi, yeah I emailed them and they said they are not able to offer me a confirmed role at the moment but I am still being considered for a role. You?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The first emails informing those who will not be required at the Olympic / Para's went out yesterday.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi, yeah I emailed them and they said they are not able to offer me a confirmed role at the moment but I am still being considered for a role. You?
    Hi Toni20,

Yes I got the same long email saying im on a reserve list for victory ceremonies and may be called upon at anytime from now up to the end of both games.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    a reserve list for victory ceremonies
    Sorry to hear that.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 22, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE English mock revision

Revise together & check out past papers

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.