The Student Room Group

WJEC Computing CG3 June 23

Hi guys. I was wondering, if anyone is sitting this re-sit exam (and even if you're not resitting), what resources did you use for your revision? And how do you prepare for such an exam. I find it hard as there isn't really a revision guide i can use to revise for this thoroughly (or maybe i haven't found one yet).

Any help would be much appreciated =)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ReLinkWish
Hi guys. I was wondering, if anyone is sitting this re-sit exam (and even if you're not resitting), what resources did you use for your revision? And how do you prepare for such an exam. I find it hard as there isn't really a revision guide i can use to revise for this thoroughly (or maybe i haven't found one yet).

Any help would be much appreciated =)

Sitting this exam aswell was about to start a thread lol

re-sitting this after my teachers failed attempt to secure our class a pass by sitting it early.

I got a C. :s-smilie:

Use ZigZag guide and revise CG1 knowledge.

btw What did you get for your AS and A2 units?
Reply 2
Most of the Zigzag guide is free online but some sections are locked.
Reply 3
The zig-zag guides are okay, but there are quite a few mistakes. This website is especially good and has everything, but not all the sections are available if your college doesn't have it on their system.

http://www.theteacher99.btinternet.co.uk/theteacher/default.htm

I'm pretty lucky with resources, and we have loads of worksheets and powerpoints available at my college, so if anyone has a specific topic they want extra resources message me and I will have a look on my college site and try and upload stuff here for you :smile:

EDIT: Here is an example, this is a pretty good powerpoint on data representation (Hex, Binary, 2s complement...), I'm sure I've seen people upload files straight on to a post, but as I can't see the link I stuck with a file upload: http://www.filefactory.com/file/cb7a7c3/n/datarepresentation2011.pptx. Feel free to comment on the irony of me giving computing advice while not knowing how to upload a file to TSR, and then preferably tell me if you can :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by DCRichards
The zig-zag guides are okay, but there are quite a few mistakes. This website is especially good and has everything, but not all the sections are available if your college doesn't have it on their system.

I'm pretty lucky with resources, and we have loads of worksheets and powerpoints available at my college, so if anyone has a specific topic they want extra resources message me and I will have a look on my college site and try and upload stuff here for you :smile:

EDIT: Here is an example, this is a pretty good powerpoint on data representation (Hex, Binary, 2s complement...), I'm sure I've seen people upload files straight on to a post, but as I can't see the link I stuck with a file upload: http://www.filefactory.com/file/cb7a7c3/n/datarepresentation2011.pptx. Feel free to comment on the irony of me giving computing advice while not knowing how to upload a file to TSR, and then preferably tell me if you can :smile:

Can you find anything on *AQA Resistant Materials: Product Design* for A2.

Cheers
Reply 5

Can you upload all the Computing Powerpoints. There are links to some at the end of the one you put the link up for.
Reply 6
Original post by humphrey23
Can you find anything on *AQA Resistant Materials: Product Design* for A2.

Cheers

Sorry, I only take computing, maths and chem A2. I had a look but we don't do that course at college I'm afraid. There's a thread here where someone might be able to help: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=241040 :smile:
Reply 7
Can you upload all the Computing Powerpoints. There are links to some at the end of the one you put the link up for.

Okay, I'll put them in a zip file and then post them asap. I also just realised there's an attachment button, so I guess I'll use that! I also have past papers and mark schemes if anyone wants a specific paper or MS, I think there's 2008 (old CP5) to the latest, but don't hold me to that. There's a useful link here with some powerpoints on various things, not a clue what the site is, and why they're all just on the root dir, but hey, it's free revision stuff :smile:
Reply 8

That took alot less time that I expected. The attachment thing has an upload limit so I'll have to stick to good old free hosting.

Here's a .ZIP with all the computing PPTs and a word document version of the full zig zag book:

http://www.filefactory.com/file/cfec361/n/WJEC_A2COMP_PPTS.zip

Everyone:
Please share this with anyone/any other threads that might benefit from it. Good luck with revision. Drop me a message if you have any problems with the files or have a CG3 query and I'll try and reply asap (bear in mind I have inhuman amounts of revision to do too).

Thanks.
Reply 9
That took alot less time that I expected. The attachment thing has an upload limit so I'll have to stick to good old free hosting.

Here's a .ZIP with all the computing PPTs and a word document version of the full zig zag book:

Everyone:
Please share this with anyone/any other threads that might benefit from it. Good luck with revision. Drop me a message if you have any problems with the files or have a CG3 query and I'll try and reply asap (bear in mind I have inhuman amounts of revision to do too).

Thanks.

Smashed it man. Nice one.
Reply 10
Smashed it man. Nice one.

No worries. By the way there is a mistake in the ZigZag guide. In the section about logical and arithmetic shifts, the part which explains the arithmetic shifts is wrong. It reads:

Arithmetic Shift Right (ASL): All digits are moved to the left. The right-most digit becomes a zero...

Arithmetic Shift Left (ASR): All digits are moved to the right except for the left-most bit. The right-most bit is discarded...

I think they have mixed up their words, and it's meant to say:

Arithmetic Shift LEFT (ASL): All digits are moved to the left. The right-most digit becomes a zero...

Arithmetic Shift RIGHT (ASR): All digits are moved to the right except for the left-most bit. The right-most bit is discarded...

What does everyone think (if you've seen it yet) of the new layout for CG3? I think the June 10 paper is available in that format for anyone that wants to take a look :smile:
Reply 11
No worries. By the way there is a mistake in the ZigZag guide. In the section about logical and arithmetic shifts, the part which explains the arithmetic shifts is wrong. It reads:

Arithmetic Shift Right (ASL): All digits are moved to the left. The right-most digit becomes a zero...

Arithmetic Shift Left (ASR): All digits are moved to the right except for the left-most bit. The right-most bit is discarded...

I think they have mixed up their words, and it's meant to say:

Arithmetic Shift LEFT (ASL): All digits are moved to the left. The right-most digit becomes a zero...

Arithmetic Shift RIGHT (ASR): All digits are moved to the right except for the left-most bit. The right-most bit is discarded...

What does everyone think (if you've seen it yet) of the new layout for CG3? I think the June 10 paper is available in that format for anyone that wants to take a look :smile:

Yeah saw the mistake lol. And I don't know if the new format will make a difference.

Btw what are you on atm in Computing for CG1,2,3 and 4? (CG2&4 being coursework units)
Reply 12

Everyone:

Thanks.

Hey .. I downloaded the file and extracted it using winrar but it says the "archive is either in unknown format or damaged" .. how would i get around this problem?
Reply 13

Everyone:

Thanks.

Cheers for that. :top:
Reply 14
Original post by Zuzuzu
Cheers for that. :top:

No worries. Interesting avatar you have there, McCririck would be proud :lol:
Reply 15
Seriously man how many candidates sit this exam. Barely any recent threads exist :s-smilie:.

Anyway since the exam is weeks/days away maybe get this thread moving lol.

Any guesses as to which questions will come up?? esp. the 12-odd mark questions.

Need around 85 raw marks for the notional A* which will obv combine with your coursework to determine whether you actually get it.

But yeah any guesses or anyone stuck on something in particular? Discuss it here.
Reply 16
85 raw for the A* doesn't sound too bad, I'm looking at needing ~96% UMS because my coursework's only just an A. Any ideas on how many raw marks that'd be? I probably won't even get anywhere near it, mind.
Reply 17
Original post by Zuzuzu
85 raw for the A* doesn't sound too bad, I'm looking at needing ~96% UMS because my coursework's only just an A. Any ideas on how many raw marks that'd be? I probably won't even get anywhere near it, mind.

I will get back to you on that later...i got 70 ums for coursework.

In January 84 raw was A*.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18
I will get back to you on that later...i got 100 ums for coursework.

In January 84 raw was A*.

Doesn't matter, I've just checked it meself now, cheers anyway.

Based on last summer's boundaries and assuming my classes' coursework isn't moderated, I need 92 raw for an A*. :colone: (of course, getting an A* isn't necessary for my offers, but it'd just be a nice thing to have.)
Reply 19
Original post by Zuzuzu
Doesn't matter, I've just checked it meself now, cheers anyway.

Based on last summer's boundaries and assuming my classes' coursework isn't moderated, I need 92 raw for an A*. :colone: (of course, getting an A* isn't necessary for my offers, but it'd just be a nice thing to have.)

I got 70/70 for coursework so need 110 ums in the exam.

Which equates to around 80ish raw marks. Really hoping for a forgiving paper.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending