The Student Room Group

OCR A2 History: Russia and its Rulers 1855-1964 discussion thread 10 June

Scroll to see replies

Reply 560
Original post by Zic0094
hi, for a questions about dealing with opposition such as 'Lenin was more successful in dealing with opposition than an other ruler of Russia in the period from 1855 to 1964' how far do you agree? how do you think it would be best to structure the answer? i was thinking splitting it into themes of repression (secret police, army, censorship, propaganda) but also mentioning the different events that made opposition more successful or prevalent at times (such as wars, reforms) but i'm not sure if thats relavent, or how to bring it thematically, anyone have any ideas? thank you :smile: also does any one know how many raw marks 76/120 ums is (or has been previously)?

I would suggest you dividing in it up into:
-Popular opposition
-Radical Opposition
-Liberal/ political opposition (both political groups opposing the ruling elite and the opposition from within e.g. removal of Khrushchev by Politburo).

What I would say is to practice the question about effectiveness of the opposition as the ruler/opposition question came up in Jan so it is unlikely to be in our paper.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Kwak
I would suggest you dividing in it up into:
-Popular opposition
-Radical Opposition
-Liberal/ political opposition (both political groups opposing the ruling elite and the opposition from within e.g. removal of Khrushchev by Politburo).

What I would say is to practice the question about effectiveness of the opposition as the ruler/opposition question came up in Jan so it is unlikely to be in our paper.

I have to say, I disagree

I would go for:

support/ideology of opposition
ability to mobilise mass support
repression
the army
censorship and propaganda
success/humiliation in international wars
Original post by RupertDuthie
I could really use these notes ASAP if you still have them

Original post by bellequarantaine
Hello, I have my exam on tuesday and i really need some help...could you send me any essays you have? that would be so amazing xx

Original post by jeb24
Hi, I am struggling on the exam technique for this exam on tuesday. Please could you send me a few of your essays. It would be a huge help.

Thanks.

Original post by LittleMissCurious
Could you send them to me if you still have them?! x

Original post by Filoux
Same here!

Original post by barneybewick
same here, if you still have them would be really useful!

Thanks

Here we go guys, sorry i've been really busy with exams/end of year celebrations :colone: Was being a pain and refusing to attatch on this post so i did it on here:

http://www.4shared.com/rar/b1RtT8u1/Russia.html

Good luck!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Randomized
Here we go guys, sorry i've been really busy with exams/end of year celebrations :colone: Was being a pain and refusing to attatch on this post so i did it on here:

Good luck!

Thanks very useful!
Reply 564
Hi guys.
Anyone have any idea on what is likely to come up on Tuesday?
Sorry if it's been asked and answered before, couldn't find it!
Reply 565

Good luck!

You lad, thanks!
Original post by JD244
Hi guys.
Anyone have any idea on what is likely to come up on Tuesday?
Sorry if it's been asked and answered before, couldn't find it!

Well, personally after looking through recent papers etc I think we're likely to get at least 1 of the following:

- Turning points
- Impact of war
- Essay on peasants (for example their welfare throughout the period)
- Why Russian leaders resorted to repression

Any other thoughts?
Reply 567
Original post by Minusthevolta
Well, personally after looking through recent papers etc I think we're likely to get at least 1 of the following:

- Turning points
- Impact of war

Any other thoughts?

Thanks.
Yeah I think war will make an appearance, really hoping it won't though. Peasants/repression are the ones I want!

- Turning points
- Impact of war

Any other thoughts?

I reckon maybe working class?

But yeah i reckon turning points is most likely
Reply 569
Yes, I think it may have reference to Nature Of Government. Although OCR do like to ask about changes from autocracy to communism, just re-wording the question slightly each year.
Reply 570
Original post by Zic0094
hi, for a questions about dealing with opposition such as 'Lenin was more successful in dealing with opposition than an other ruler of Russia in the period from 1855 to 1964' how far do you agree? how do you think it would be best to structure the answer? i was thinking splitting it into themes of repression (secret police, army, censorship, propaganda) but also mentioning the different events that made opposition more successful or prevalent at times (such as wars, reforms) but i'm not sure if thats relavent, or how to bring it thematically, anyone have any ideas? thank you :smile: also does any one know how many raw marks 76/120 ums is (or has been previously)?

What I would do is set this question out thematically, creating synoptic judgement on the rulers within my essay (40 marks for judgement/analysis!)
The themes I would probably use would be;

-Opposition Faced ( E.G: Land and Liberty, Populists (Narodniks) Bolsheviks etc.)
-Reasons for Opposition (Failure's in war E.G: Crimean War + Russo Japanese or maybe failure to create a Russian Constitution)
-Repression Used (E.G:Red Terror)

Just include all leaders ; Alex II, Alex III, Nicholas II (Prov Govt.) Lenin himself! Stalin + Khrushchev.
Then form an analysis/ judgement in comparison to the schema asked, so compare other leaders roles to Lenin. Make sure you can include some useful details and you should be attaining at least 45/60.
If you got a question asking which war had the greatest impact on government, how would you structure this? would you go through each war individually, comparing to other wars... or would you group them together in certain themes?
AHH panicking
Reply 572
Probably always best to use themes. Talk about influences on social, political, economic factors, (nature of government, democracy etc.) for each war and then make comparisons throughout. I think that's what I'd do.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 573
And don't do a paragraph for each war, do a paragraph for each theme covering all the wars if you can.
Original post by bellequarantaine
If you got a question asking which war had the greatest impact on government, how would you structure this? would you go through each war individually, comparing to other wars... or would you group them together in certain themes?
AHH panicking

As somebody said it's always best to structure war questions thematically.

I'd split the essay up into 3 main categories: economic, social and political change. From there in each category I'd establish which wars were the cause of change and which prevented change.

As a general summary of the wars:

- Crimean the state chose some change (though pressures from below)

- R-J & WW1 Change forced on the regime by the people

- WWII, Cold War, Russo-Turkish regime prevented change

- Civil War: since a civil war, by its very nature it was a fight to determine the extent and form of change. Communist victory meant change along communist lines.

Then without going into any detail, I'd structure my essay as follows:

Political

Prevent:
- WWII
- Cold War
- Russo-Turkish
- Civil War communist victory meant the communists held firm on maintaining complete political control but allowed some economic and social change.

Cause:
- Crimean
- WWII (only in international sphere: superpower status and domination of E Europe)
- Russo-Japanese
- WWI

Social

Prevent
- WWII
- Russo-Turkish
- Cold War

Cause
-Russo-Japanese
- Crimean
- WWI

Economic

Cause
- Crimean
- Russo-Japanese
- WWI
- Civil War

Prevent
- WWII
- Cold War
- Russo-Turkish

In conclusion I'd highlight which war had the greatest impact overall, as that is what the question is asking, and then say war was a catalyst for change, but not always a driving force on its own.
(edited 11 years ago)
aaah someone please help- how would i answer this- ‘The need to catch up with the West was the most important reason why the rulers of Russia introduced reforms.’ How far do you agree with this view of Russia in the period from 1855 to 1964?
would i structure my paragraphs in terms of reforms or in terms of aims?

Good luck!

Thanks so much! Can't download the file onto my computer though, don't know why :frown: Thanks anyway though! x
Reply 577
What themes would you use for a question on domestic policy? :smile: thanks, and thank you everyone who answered my last question :biggrin:
As somebody said it's always best to structure war questions thematically.

I'd split the essay up into 3 main categories: economic, social and political change. From there in each category I'd establish which wars were the cause of change and which prevented change.

As a general summary of the wars:

- Crimean the state chose some change (though pressures from below)

- R-J & WW1 Change forced on the regime by the people

- WWII, Cold War, Russo-Turkish regime prevented change

- Civil War: since a civil war, by its very nature it was a fight to determine the extent and form of change. Communist victory meant change along communist lines.

Then without going into any detail, I'd structure my essay as follows:

Political

Prevent:
- WWII
- Cold War
- Russo-Turkish
- Civil War communist victory meant the communists held firm on maintaining complete political control but allowed some economic and social change.

Cause:
- Crimean
- WWII (only in international sphere: superpower status and domination of E Europe)
- Russo-Japanese
- WWI

Social

Prevent
- WWII
- Russo-Turkish
- Cold War

Cause
-Russo-Japanese
- Crimean
- WWI

Economic

Cause
- Crimean
- Russo-Japanese
- WWI
- Civil War

Prevent
- WWII
- Cold War
- Russo-Turkish

In conclusion I'd highlight which war had the greatest impact overall, as that is what the question is asking, and then say war was a catalyst for change, but not always a driving force on its own.

Fantastic, thanks
Reply 579
Original post by emilyandkate
aaah someone please help- how would i answer this- ‘The need to catch up with the West was the most important reason why the rulers of Russia introduced reforms.’ How far do you agree with this view of Russia in the period from 1855 to 1964?
would i structure my paragraphs in terms of reforms or in terms of aims?

That's a tricky one, I guess you'd have to ask yourself what catching up with the West actually entailed. I see your point about aims, but I think reform is the key theme, since the word is in the question, so I would probably argue which reforms and motives were designed to deliberately catch-up with the West and which weren't. But which ever way you go, aims or reforms, you'll be answering the question either way. However if you focus on the word 'reform' and use it a lot in your answer, the examiner tends to know that you're on task with the question.
It'd be good to talk about Emancipation, Witte's and Stalin's various industrialisation plans, railways, NEP, etc. Then perhaps question if they were implemented to catch up with the West or were, in fact, purely for Russian gain. Certain events are very good to use, like the start of the Space Race, because it was all about showing off really. Same could be said for certain military growth plans.

In terms of structure I'd personally group the reforms into categories for each paragraph, so something like:

Political Reforms
Economic/Industrial Reforms
Military Reforms
Social Reforms

and then answer the question for each paragraph, rounding off with a overall view in the conclusion.

However as I said, it's tricky, so I might not be going about it the right way. Anyone else have any other opinions?
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending