The Student Room Group

OCR A2 History: Russia and its Rulers 1855-1964 discussion thread 10 June

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by jawain04
why for turning point questions do you not answer with 3 paragraphs; economic, social and political impacts? i have seen that you all recommned taking a turning point at a time and analysing them.
With 3 main paragraphs you can compare/contrast each turning point in each paragraph and are synoptic throughout.
also you avoid doing it chronologically and the comparison is easier.
for example if your turning points are octrober 1917 revolution and you see stalin in the 1930's as another turning point you can do an economic paragrpah easily - concluding that stalin had a greater impact as 1917 was mainly a politcial revolution

thanks for answers in advance :smile:

Well, thats largely because if I analyse the turning-points all individually, It allows me to-give a comparative judgement at-the end of each turning-point taking in-to account all the economic, social and political factors and placing them against all the economic, social and political factors in-the turning-point in-question - which I would have already analysed first in-this question ie. I can compare everything about that turning-point after my second paragraph. Also, the turning-point questions often aren't asking you whether one-particular turning-point had a more significant 'economic' impact than the-rest for example, it wants you to judge whether it had a significant impact on Russian government as a whole ie. taking in-to account all-factors. However, you could certainly do-it that way if you wanted, I wouldn't recommend it though & there is certainly nothing chronological about the method that I/others have suggested.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 61
Original post by GraviticWar
Well, thats largely because if I analyse the turning-points all individually, It allows me to-give a comparative judgement at-the end of each turning-point taking in-to account all the economic, social and political factors and placing them against all the economic, social and political factors in-the turning-point in-question - which I would have already analysed first in-this question ie. I can compare everything about that turning-point after my second paragraph. Also, the turning-point questions often aren't asking you whether one-particular turning-point had a more significant 'economic' impact than the-rest for example, it wants you to judge whether it had a significant impact on Russian government as a whole ie. taking in-to account all-factors. However, you could certainly do-it that way if you wanted, I wouldn't recommend it though & there is certainly nothing chronological about the method that I/others have suggested.

i understand that most the questions were asking about impact on russian government as a whole and if you consider political, social and economic impacts that covers the majority of factors.

think i will have a go at doing similar questions using the differing structure :smile:
Reply 62
i understand that most the questions were asking about impact on russian government as a whole and if you consider political, social and economic impacts that covers the majority of factors.

think i will have a go at doing similar questions using the differing structure :smile:

Yes, but by-using that structure you are going to-be assessing those factors individually(economic, social & political) against the turning-point in-question, where as with the other-structure your are going to-be assessing them collectively(economic, social & political) & placing them collectively against the turning-point in-question ie. answering the question more effectively.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 63
Yes, but by-using that structure you are going to-be assessing those factors individually(economic, social & political) against the turning-point in-question, where as with the other-structure your are going to-be assessing them collectively(economic, social & political) & placing them collectively against the turning-point in-question ie. answering the question more effectively.

ok cheers
for the turning point questions how many turning points are you analysing?
Reply 64
ok cheers
for the turning point questions how many turning points are you analysing?

Four at-least, I try and aim for five though(you need to cover the whole 100-years somehow). Depends however, if its a war turning-point question then I will analyse all the wars. You could group the pre-1914 wars together, as there are allot of similarities.
A turning point question came up in Jan 11, do we really think its going to come up again?
Original post by heartsandminds
A turning point question came up in Jan 11, do we really think its going to come up again?

A turning point is just a type of question, the same types of question come up session after session, so just because it came up last session does by no means rule it out of this session,

Tom :smile:
Reply 67
Tom you're incredible! I'd just like to say that I shared these threads with my history class, and we've spent whole lessons talking about them. One girl printed off posts relevant to our course and photocopied them for everyone. Our teacher seemed quite peeved actually that we were getting so much inspiration from someone other than her. XD
Reply 68
Original post by heartsandminds

Yes & it will probably be centered around war...not a failsafe prediction but one can be reasonably confident & justified in saying-so.
Reply 69
Original post by samxsnap
Tom you're incredible! I'd just like to say that I shared these threads with my history class, and we've spent whole lessons talking about them. One girl printed off posts relevant to our course and photocopied them for everyone. Our teacher seemed quite peeved actually that we were getting so much inspiration from someone other than her. XD

Yes, Tom is is like a Wunderwaffe for revising this exam! :biggrin:...snook some History in-there!...pointless and sad. Not-really History though just German for 'wonder-weapon'! Tom's thread URL: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1500448 in-case you don't know. :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by samxsnap

Whow, Thanks :biggrin: That's one of the best compliments (related to TSR :wink: )I've received! I'm glad they were of help to not just you but your whole class :biggrin:. It's made even better by the fact i do want to become a history teacher (as boring as that sounds :P) cheers Sam you've kinda made my day (as sad as this sounds :P)

Tom :biggrin:
Yes, Tom is is like a Wunderwaffe for revising this exam! :biggrin:...snook some History in-there!...pointless and sad. Not-really History though just German for 'wonder-weapon'! Tom's thread URL: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1500448 in-case you don't know. :biggrin:

You've been playing too much Nazi Zombies :smile:

Hold on guys, all these compliments I won't be able to fit my head through the door :smile: Cheers guys I'm just glad that you all appreciate the effort I put in, and that you all do as well as you can in this (and all) your exams :smile:,

Reply 73
Original post by crocker710
You've been playing too much Nazi Zombies :smile:

...hehehe...RAY-GUN! XD
...hehehe...RAY-GUN! XD

:smile: I thought so :wink: only a CoD player knows what a Wunder-waffe is haha,

Tom
Reply 75
Whow, Thanks :biggrin: That's one of the best compliments (related to TSR :wink: )I've received! I'm glad they were of help to not just you but your whole class :biggrin:. It's made even better by the fact i do want to become a history teacher (as boring as that sounds :P) cheers Sam you've kinda made my day (as sad as this sounds :P)

Tom :biggrin:

I'm sure you'll be a superb history teacher Tom.....more-compliments! :biggrin:
I'm sure you'll be a superb history teacher Tom.....more-compliments! :biggrin:

owwww great :frown: I can't get out of the room to go to the toilet.

Haha cheers War! :biggrin: ,

Reply 77
:smile: I thought so :wink: only a CoD player knows what a Wunder-waffe is haha,

Tom

Hmmm, I also know allot about-it after I watched a documentary on-it...researched it-more, doing History at uni. Sarin-gas, Sun-gun, Landkreuzer P. 1500 Monster, V3 rockets, Messerschmitt, possibly Nazi UFOs...its just interesting in-the sense of how insanely brilliant the Nazi-scientists were(the USA used them after-all) & they did create the first jet-engine...not that this excuses figures like Mengele who were very-evil & the vast-majority certainly did only research to forward Nazi-militarism. War is certainly is-the locomotive for change technologically.
(edited 12 years ago)
Hmmm, I also know allot about-it after I watched a documentary on-it...researched it-more, doing History at uni. Sarin-gas, Sun-gun, Landkreuzer P. 1500 Monster, V3 rockets, Messerschmitt, possibly Nazi UFOs...its just interesting in-the sense of how insanely brilliant the Nazi-scientists were(the USA used them after-all), they did create the first jet-engine. Of-course however, there were many like Mengele who were very-evil.

I'm currently in my first year of history at Uni. Unfortunately we don't do anything as bizarre as this, but I've seen my fair share of documentaries on the history channels on this. Very creative in certain areas, horrific in others. I think i've studied Nazi Germany at every stage of history, and Russia for only the past three. I think this is why I prefer Russia as they are not investigated and reviewed half as much as Germany,

Reply 79
I'm currently in my first year of history at Uni. Unfortunately we don't do anything as bizarre as this, but I've seen my fair share of documentaries on the history channels on this. Very creative in certain areas, horrific in others. I think i've studied Nazi Germany at every stage of history, and Russia for only the past three. I think this is why I prefer Russia as they are not investigated and reviewed half as much as Germany,

Yes, I wouldn't think that you would study this at university! that would be-weird. Yes, for-example the barbaric work of people like Mengele at the concentration/extermination camps is the only-reason we know what happens during hyperthermia and thus, how to treat-it - Nazi research is used every-single day...disturbing but reality. The Nazis are so-very interesting though... especially, if you dive deeper in-to their ideology - Sumerian mythology, Hyborian gods, the Black-sun etc...its just bizzare but thats what makes it interesting...they actually believed that remnants of Atlantis existed under the sea and that the Aryan occupiers of Atlantis fled-to and were living under the Himalayans(there were documented S.S. expeditions to the Himalayas in-the 1930s to try and discover-it)...wacko-stuff but this is part of the ideology that killed six-million Jews on-an industrial-scale.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending