The Student Room Group

Mature Student

Hello, as a mature student are universities more lenient with A Level grades? (or is that wishful thinking?). I wish to study History however after trawling through UCAS I realise that better rated courses require higher grades. My grades are B B C and the C is in History. Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated.
It generally depends on how 'mature' you are - at 21 they'll pretty much treat you like a normal school-leaver, but if you're years beyond that and have life experience they will often be happy to discuss your grades and how likely you are to be considered for their course. Pick out a few uni's that you're interested in and give them a call - each uni will be different in how it alters its grade expectations for mature students.
Reply 2
SJW
OP
I'll turn 25 during my first year at university?! Thanks for the advice.
Reply 3
It would be a good idea to contact the unis and ask. At 25 you're still on the younger side of mature, but may also have enough experience to make up for it.
Reply 4
Original post by SJW
Hello, as a mature student are universities more lenient with A Level grades? (or is that wishful thinking?). I wish to study History however after trawling through UCAS I realise that better rated courses require higher grades. My grades are B B C and the C is in History. Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

I received unconditional offers for all my choices in March (applied mid-March too) and I didn't have the required grades either. I'm 21 so I'm classed as a Mature Student so they seem to be very lenient as they welcome the experience. Make sure your Personal Statement is brilliant, when I called up the Uni I applied for they said this and work experience is considered equally the same as grades.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending