The Student Room Group

offshore engineering - newcastle help me ??

Hi

i'm non-EU student

i want to work into Oil rig

if i get a offshore engineering dgree

can i get easily into oil rig??

is this dgree the best way to working on oil rig???

plz!!!!!!! reply......
Original post by kimseungman
Hi

i'm non-EU student

i want to work into Oil rig

if i get a offshore engineering dgree

can i get easily into oil rig??

is this dgree the best way to working on oil rig???

plz!!!!!!! reply......

A degree is not the best to way work on an oil rig. Most off-shore workers will have come from a hands on background, usually an apprenticeship, as that best suits the nature of the work performed offshore. Most graduates are based onshore, and very seldomly go offshore.

The offshore undergraduate engineering degree is basically a mechanical or electrical engineering degree with some modules specifically relating to offshore engineering. It doesn't really boost your job prospects in the oil sector that much, though. Particularly if you study it at a university that isn't in a city where a lot of oil companies are based. Being based on a city where recruitment and networking takes place is much more important.
Reply 2
Original post by Smack

Original post by Smack
A degree is not the best to way work on an oil rig. Most off-shore workers will have come from a hands on background, usually an apprenticeship, as that best suits the nature of the work performed offshore. Most graduates are based onshore, and very seldomly go offshore.

The offshore undergraduate engineering degree is basically a mechanical or electrical engineering degree with some modules specifically relating to offshore engineering. It doesn't really boost your job prospects in the oil sector that much, though. Particularly if you study it at a university that isn't in a city where a lot of oil companies are based. Being based on a city where recruitment and networking takes place is much more important.

thanks for your information.
i quit my jop to prepare for my stdudy in Uk.
before that, I used to work as a 3rd officer in merchantship for 2years.
i'm south korean
my age is 19...
I have received an offer from the University of Newcastle

I want to know best way to work on oil rig

after graduating from any university, Even want to open practice

What is the best way for me to work on oil rig?
thanks for your information.
i quit my jop to prepare for my stdudy in Uk.
before that, I used to work as a 3rd officer in merchantship for 2years.
i'm south korean
my age is 19...
I have received an offer from the University of Newcastle

I want to know best way to work on oil rig

after graduating from any university, Even want to open practice

What is the best way for me to work on oil rig?

As I said, the best way to work on an oil rig is to do an apprenticeship, not a degree. With a degree you'll be primarily office based, and might not even go offshore at all, seeing as all the operations are controlled onshore nowadays.

What is the allure in oil rigs? It's a good way to earn money for people who like doing hands on work and don't want to go to university. But graduates in oil companies typically earn more money and work in more friendly environments.

What other universities have you applied to? Newcastle is a good university, but it'll be easier to get a job with an oil company if you go to a university that is in a city that is a recruitment hub for the industry.
Reply 4
Original post by Smack
As I said, the best way to work on an oil rig is to do an apprenticeship, not a degree. With a degree you'll be primarily office based, and might not even go offshore at all, seeing as all the operations are controlled onshore nowadays.

What is the allure in oil rigs? It's a good way to earn money for people who like doing hands on work and don't want to go to university. But graduates in oil companies typically earn more money and work in more friendly environments.

What other universities have you applied to? Newcastle is a good university, but it'll be easier to get a job with an oil company if you go to a university that is in a city that is a recruitment hub for the industry.

thanks you!!!

because my major is shipping, other universities that i have applied is not related to offshere. i have applied to Plymouth-maritime law, marine studies and Liverpool-nautical science.

Do you know exactly what do graduates do in oil companies?

and I don't know Employment prospects for offshore engineering graduates are good.

plz help me!! if you know them
thanks you!!!

because my major is shipping, other universities that i have applied is not related to offshere. i have applied to Plymouth-maritime law, marine studies and Liverpool-nautical science.

Do you know exactly what do graduates do in oil companies?

and I don't know Employment prospects for offshore engineering graduates are good.

plz help me!! if you know them

Graduates within oil companies do so many things that you'd really have to look it up for yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest