The Student Room Group

AQA GCE CHEM1 Chemistry Unit 1 - 23rd May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Everytime I have got my papers remarked by AQA they have gone up a grade or at least a couple of marks. I shouldn't have to do this. I was talking to a friend from China who said papers in China are marked by 3 people and there is never any remarks needed. AQA need to sort themselves out. You would have thought they would get the message by now.
Reply 61
hey guys quick question..for Flue gas desulfurization theres like 4 equations in my text book (calcium carbonate, calcium hydrixide, gypsum & calcium oxide) do we only need to know the ones with calcium oxide? :s-smilie:
Reply 62
Original post by Jasx
hey guys quick question..for Flue gas desulfurization theres like 4 equations in my text book (calcium carbonate, calcium hydrixide, gypsum & calcium oxide) do we only need to know the ones with calcium oxide? :s-smilie:

Which book are you using?
I'm using the nelson thornes and there are no equations for it, just the formulas......All you need to know is that they use calcium oxide or limestone in the chimney which absorb sulfur dioxide to form gypsum.
Reply 63
Original post by Limitless
Everytime I have got my papers remarked by AQA they have gone up a grade or at least a couple of marks. I shouldn't have to do this. I was talking to a friend from China who said papers in China are marked by 3 people and there is never any remarks needed. AQA need to sort themselves out. You would have thought they would get the message by now.

Yeah, they're pretty stupid. They never learn from their mistakes.....every year they get complaints. :facepalm:
Reply 64
Original post by mecks17
i always get this question wrong in practice papers ' the number of elecrons in THIRD shell, n=3. i always state that it is 8. but the answers 18.
can anyone kindly explain this to me please? thanks!

2n^2 where n is the main shell level tells you how many electrons are in that shell
Reply 65
hey guys - does anyone have the answers to only the exam style questions for the mini test at the end of unit 1? (unit 1 questions: foundation chemistry) - i've done the questions and really need the answers now! :frown:
Right. Just woke up. IVe only properly revised chapter1. Hahaha. Today I'm going to bang out the whole thing like the bad man I am. Alevelchemistry.co.uk is my new bestfriend yaay

Chem1 will not defeat me again. Last time I got a 70, which is really a glorified C and nearly had an episode. What's everyone aiming for? I'm aiming for 90+ personally
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 67
3rd time lucky need an A for uni ideally so hoping to nail it
Reply 68
Original post by ksimmi25
hey guys - does anyone have the answers to only the exam style questions for the mini test at the end of unit 1? (unit 1 questions: foundation chemistry) - i've done the questions and really need the answers now! :frown:

I've got the answers to the nt book - don't know how to upload them but could email them to you?
Reply 69
1st one to solve this problem:

'183g of a solid sample of hydrated sodium carbonate (na2co3.xh20) contained an unknown amount of water of crystallisation. work out the amount of water in the sample, and determine the empirical formula.'
Reply 70
Original post by dolmio
I've got the answers to the nt book - don't know how to upload them but could email them to you?

Yess pleasee! - that would be great :smile:
Reply 71
Original post by Limitless

I requested my paper back and compared it with the mark scheme. For the second question on bonding the answer is hydrogen bonding which is what i put but its been awarded 0! - i should have had 5 more marks throughout the paper which is ridiculous of aqa.
Reply 72
Original post by Master.K
Which book are you using?
I'm using the nelson thornes and there are no equations for it, just the formulas......All you need to know is that they use calcium oxide or limestone in the chimney which absorb sulfur dioxide to form gypsum.

well my school gave us a text book oxford as chemistry..i dnt think anyone else has that..it isnt brilliant but i bought the nelson thornes one andd my bad aha i meant formulas :colondollar: Thanks! :smile: x
Reply 73
Yess pleasee! - that would be great :smile:

PM me your email then! :smile:
Reply 74
I requested my paper back and compared it with the mark scheme. For the second question on bonding the answer is hydrogen bonding which is what i put but its been awarded 0! - i should have had 5 more marks throughout the paper which is ridiculous of aqa.

It happen to me aswell but in physics it's ridiculous.
Reply 75
Original post by Jasx
well my school gave us a text book oxford as chemistry..i dnt think anyone else has that..it isnt brilliant but i bought the nelson thornes one andd my bad aha i meant formulas :colondollar: Thanks! :smile: x

LOL So did my school! I don't use it because its bull**** and it's got quite a few mistakes in their.
Yeah you do need to know the formulas.
Reply 76
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=31605358

solutions will be posted on the link above

every s orbital holds 2 electrons.
every p orbital holds 6 electrons.
every d orbital holds 10 electrons

energy level 3 consists of 3s, 3p and 3d. so count them up.. 2+6+10 = 18..

Sorry if someone's already answered this for you :colondollar:
Does anyone have access to the January '11 past paper? I've done most of the ESQs in the textbook, and all the new-style exam papers apart from that one. Thanks :smile:
Reply 79
Original post by Seasick Steve

Original post by Seasick Steve
Does anyone have access to the January '11 past paper? I've done most of the ESQs in the textbook, and all the new-style exam papers apart from that one. Thanks :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=31175789&postcount=6

From Searching on here. I needed it too :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending