The Student Room Group

AQA GCE CHEM1 Chemistry Unit 1 - 23rd May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Seasick Steve
Does anyone have access to the January '11 past paper? I've done most of the ESQs in the textbook, and all the new-style exam papers apart from that one. Thanks :smile:

It's here:

http://www.a-levelchemistry.co.uk/AQA%20Chemistry/AQA%20AS%20Chemistry/Unit%201/Unit%201%20Practice%20Papers%20and%20Revision%20Aids/Unit%201%20Practice%20Papers%20and%20Revision%20Aids%20home.htm

:smile:
Reply 82
Original post by Seasick Steve
That's great, thanks a million!!

No worries :smile:
For ions, does the 4s sub level always have higher energy then the 3d sublevel or is that only for transition metal ions?
That principal does not apply for ions. The electrons are removed from the highest occupying energy level, therefore the 4s electrons would be removed first.
I just want to know if it applies to all elements or only transition metal
Original post by Master.K
LOL So did my school! I don't use it because its bull**** and it's got quite a few mistakes in their.
Yeah you do need to know the formulas.

I agree the oxford has some superfluous information in there, and some mistakes, but I brought it because it's actually amazing at explaining the mechanism stuff and bits of the organic.

The AQA text book on the other hand it's confusing. Also, the oxford text book gives a good insight of how to calculate what shape the atom is, unlike in the AQA textbook which just states the different states.
Oh and by the way, it is true that this paper is weighted less heavily than the unit 2 that we do on 27th?
Reply 87
Original post by Crystalclearmagic
Oh and by the way, it is true that this paper is weighted less heavily than the unit 2 that we do on 27th?

Yes.
Reply 88
Original post by Crystalclearmagic

Yes.

Unit 1 = 100 UMS in total

Unit 2 = 140 UMS in total

So Unit 2 is weighted more.
Which electronegativity trends do we need to know? or is it just the fact that F, O and N are the most electronegative?
Two issues would appreciate some help with;
1.What tests do we need to know/reagents and such and tests for any chemical?
2. Do we need to know all the sulphides and hydroxides? On some past papers you get questions where it goes which is the least soluble hydroxide etc...
3. When removing electrons; someone explain the whole transition thing
4. Anyone got a way of remembering this nitrous oxide reacting with air and water....
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by cor_fortis
Which electronegativity trends do we need to know? or is it just the fact that F, O and N are the most electronegative?

Need to know that as you do down a group e.g. F to I, electronegativity decreases cuz:
Greater radius, less effect of the protons in the nucleus to attract the shared pair.
Original post by Stephen John
Need to know that as you do down a group e.g. F to I, electronegativity decreases cuz:
Greater radius, less effect of the protons in the nucleus to attract the shared pair.

cheers :smile:
Reply 93
what does everybody think will come up in the paper?
Definitely periodicity.
1. Ar is the average mass of an atom of an element on a scale where carbon 12 is 12.
Mr is the same but within a molecule.

2. ice has more hydrogen bonds and takes up more space than water. this makes ice less dense that water.

3. Homologous series- increase by CH2, increasing carbon-carbon length
displayed formula- showing the whole molecule carbon by carbon chain with bonds showing
functional group- different member of the same family e.g methane, ethane

4. same molecular formula, different structural arrangment
Reply 96
more worried about chem 2 - managed to pull unit 1 up from D to an A in past papers - just need to stop making stupd mistakes...
Reply 97
The structural isomer is...." same molecular formual but different structural formula"....same structural formula but different structural arrangement is sterioisomerism.. dont get confused its easy to.

Chem 1 best things to revise are mainly the cracking technices and trends...especially reasons for ionisation energy's. There will prob be a 4 marker on bond angles like the old spec in sec b. So revise this defo.
Original post by small'un
more worried about chem 2 - managed to pull unit 1 up from D to an A in past papers - just need to stop making stupd mistakes...

I agree! that's why I'm revising both in conjunction and not leaving unit 2 to last minute.

After I finish revising ionisation energies trends I'll revise Alcohols and so on:smile:
Reply 99
if anyone has done the June 09 paper, can you explain 3b) to me please?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending