The Student Room Group

AS Geography Unit 1 AQA - 17th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 340
I got 140/140 and 60/60 :smile: SO SHOCKED

I managed to get this and I missed out at least 2 questions on each paper! so everybody elses must have been low :s-smilie:

I hate geography, so I'm dropping next year! x
Original post by DavidCrow
It is full UMS for unit 1 :^_^: what did you get for unit 2?

I got 51/60 :smile: How about you? (Sorry for the late response)
everyone saying they got max marks, be aware that, that is UMS and as far as I know (I was marking papers and just finished remarks) no one got full (raw) marks.
Reply 343
Got my GEOG1 paper remarked and went from a C to an A, have no idea how someone can miss that many marks when marking it first time round :s
Original post by Chasm
Got my GEOG1 paper remarked and went from a C to an A, have no idea how someone can miss that many marks when marking it first time round :s

There where a couple that where harshly marked. I know I marked a few up from one certain examiner.
Reply 345
Original post by clareramos
There where a couple that where harshly marked. I know I marked a few up from one certain examiner.

Yeah i know a few people in my class felt they deserved better but it may have been down to a combination of that and my poor handwriting :redface: I went up 3 marks in my GEOG2 as well so something must have been up
Well done! Donate me a mark for GEOG2, I wanted over 90 :tongue:

You did the same subjects as me for AS :tongue:

I did exactly same AS. And got more or less same GCSE's - just wondering why you're not applying to Oxbridge?
Original post by Chasm
Yeah i know a few people in my class felt they deserved better but it may have been down to a combination of that and my poor handwriting :redface: I went up 3 marks in my GEOG2 as well so something must have been up

bad handwriting is often the case for low marks, as one examiner may not be able to read something, yet the one remarking may be able to and that's when you usually get huge jumps in marks.

It has been found that when students write an exam paper with bad handwriting they do worse, but when it is typed there marks often increase dramatically as it can be read.
Reply 348
Hi, does anyone have this june 2011 paper and if so could they please PM me, i would be so grateful if you did! Or send me the link if you've seen it on another thread, Thanks :smile:
Reply 349
Original post by prada1234
Hi, does anyone have this june 2011 paper and if so could they please PM me, i would be so grateful if you did! Or send me the link if you've seen it on another thread, Thanks :smile:

I have attached the question paper although I have been unable to find the mark scheme.

I assume you are retaking GEOG1 on January 18th? If so, best of luck :smile:

Hope it helps :smile:

64960625-AQA-Geography-Unit-1-Physical-and-Human-Geography-June-11.pdf
Reply 350
Original post by SheldonC
I have attached the question paper although I have been unable to find the mark scheme.

I assume you are retaking GEOG1 on January 18th? If so, best of luck :smile:

Hope it helps :smile:

64960625-AQA-Geography-Unit-1-Physical-and-Human-Geography-June-11.pdf

Thankyou so much! :smile: Do you have any other June 2011 papers for other subjects?, ive run out of all the other papers but need much more practice!

Also where do you get them from?
everyone saying they got max marks, be aware that, that is UMS and as far as I know (I was marking papers and just finished remarks) no one got full (raw) marks.

I was told by my teacher I got 97/120 raw marks on this paper. I looked up the grade boundaries and it said that 84/120 was 140/140 ums.. how can that be right?
I was told by my teacher I got 97/120 raw marks on this paper. I looked up the grade boundaries and it said that 84/120 was 140/140 ums.. how can that be right?

I assume what your teacher did was calculate your percentage UMS (__/140) and then multiplied that by 120 (the max raw mark) to give your percentage in terms of raw marks. However, the way raw to UMS conversion works means than 70% in UMS marks does not necesarilly equate to 70% in raw marks, for example, in actuality it may be higher or lower. Grade boundaries are always low for GEOG1, ie. you can get about 50% raw marks and get around 80% UMS marks. Hope that makes sense, it's very confusing!
hey just wondering does anybody have a list of things that we have to revise for each topic, would be very helpful and more detailed than the specification. you know like one that can be used to make a revision time table? :biggrin: :biggrin:

read what I put again. I said raw marks, which no one for that paper did get 120/120 tonnes got 140/140 but no one got 120/120.
read what I put again. I said raw marks, which no one for that paper did get 120/120 tonnes got 140/140 but no one got 120/120.

Nono I understand what you mean. Its just that I appear to have got 13 raw marks more than you needed to get full UMS (140/140), which is somewhat surprising considering there was only a gap of 7 raw marks between 126/140 and 140/140!

Maybe everybody else totally screws up the paper hence the low grade boundaries and me doing well comparatively (even though I only got 81% raw).

Oh well, hopefully GEOG3 this year will have similarly low grade boundaries :tongue:
Nono I understand what you mean. Its just that I appear to have got 13 raw marks more than you needed to get full UMS (140/140), which is somewhat surprising considering there was only a gap of 7 raw marks between 126/140 and 140/140!

Maybe everybody else totally screws up the paper hence the low grade boundaries and me doing well comparatively (even though I only got 81% raw).

Oh well, hopefully GEOG3 this year will have similarly low grade boundaries :tongue:

unit 1 is generally the lowest for grade boundaries, I think.

More people do well in Unit 3, well seem to, but still think grade boundaries are low.

I will check for defo later though.

Quick Reply

Latest