The Student Room Group

AS Geography Unit 1 AQA - 17th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Helpful_Charlie
I got a C last year with very few marks. Literally for Deserts, I got 10/30 and 9 came on the 15 marker. The boundaries are traditionally low.

how many marks did you get on the second paper? i did so rubbish i would be lucky if i got 10 marks overall,but i really need a C for uni :frown:
Reply 121
I found it so hard!
for the health 15marker do you think they will allow obesity???:/
Original post by lukekelly
I found it so hard!
for the health 15marker do you think they will allow obesity???:/

There are debates over whether obesity is actually a disease, but they'll allow it. :smile:

This forum has made me feel a lot better guys, and hopefully the grade boundaries will reflect the opinions on here.
Original post by mwalters13
how many marks did you get on the second paper? i did so rubbish i would be lucky if i got 10 marks overall,but i really need a C for uni :frown:

I got a D on the second paper - hence the resits (was predicted an A).

I think I got 30ish in paper 1.
Reply 124
I did the exam last year, grade boundary for an A was 57 if that is any help to anyone :smile: if you wanna find them yourself they are here
http://web.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_grade.php
Original post by mwalters13
where do i find out the grade boundaries! CAN PEOPLE STOP IGNORING ME

Do you people have common sense?

Grade boundaries are set when they've marked ALL the papers, they haven't even received them yet!
Reply 126
ARRGH!! I answered the sustainability of tundra environments by partially talking about Antarctica (which according to some of my friends is not a tundra) :/
Will they not give me marks for that?
Original post by student1234567891
ok, who on earth put those articles into the exam?! did anyone feel like they were regurgitating the articles?
the exam wasn't easy, but it wasn't hard.. the whole layout was completely wrong, i mean 4 marks for sticking some labels on a picture, what is this?!
and that population question on two settlements we've studied and the provisions available, don't quite remember studying the provisions in place! :mad:

It means you have failed yourself.
In the textbook it says, study two areas of healthcare.
Original post by elsiewho
Ohhh yeah.

Ahh right, yeah, I wasn't sure whether it was billions or millions so I just took a chance and said millions :tongue:

Answer is £25 billion.
You'll all have probably done better than you thought :smile:

I did Cold Environments and Health, and me and my friends just got extremely lucky in that we had a morning group revision session and literally everything we mentioned in detail came up, and nothing which we explicitly said we didn't want. It's like the paper read our minds and was feeling kind...

So, if the grade boundary for an A (80 UMS) is 70 (it'll probably be lower after reading this thread) then how do you scale it to find out what 100 UMS is? Fingers crossed for full marks.
Reply 130
Does anyone remember the questions for coasts and population?
Reply 131
crap. didn't mention case studies where it didn't ask xP highest mark on the 15 without a case study? :P
Reply 132
Original post by raag11
Does anyone remember the questions for coasts and population?

I remember the Population questions vaguely. One involved an extract identifying possible factors into the increasing population of the UK (increased ferility rates, immigration preventing a declining population), a figure was given in which you had to contrast the characteristics between two of suburban, inner city, rural and suburban fringe (I think?), the varying services between two different areas you have studied and the strengths and weaknesses of the DTM.
Reply 133
Original post by Jack99

Original post by Jack99
I remember the Population questions vaguely. One involved an extract identifying possible factors into the increasing population of the UK (increased ferility rates, immigration preventing a declining population), a figure was given in which you had to contrast the characteristics between two of suburban, inner city, rural and suburban fringe (I think?), the varying services between two different areas you have studied and the strengths and weaknesses of the DTM.

Thanks
Reply 134
Essay questions were worded really badly
- We were told 'Discuss' will never come up ar AS level only Describe, explain, evaluate :/
- We were near enough to no bother to revise for Tundra areas as our geography teacher felt --that AQA has near enough exausted the topic as a 15 marker so we focused on land forms
which didnt come up :|

-Reading all those texts were a waste of time
-2 hours sounds like a lot but i felt like i was against the time like never before

Overall i thought it went OK im not too confident but what can i do now. Just gotta revise for my resit next week and ace that. Traditionally grade boundaries are quite low and maybe that will work in all our favour! Good luck everyone.

Quote me if you want to ask anything i did
Energy , Cold Environments , Rivers , Population
Reply 135
Original post by Jack99

I felt like i was LITERALLY quoting the text! The questions were SOOOO badly phrased and set! It doesnt take a genius to see that :|
Reply 136
what non-com diseases did people put for the health 15marker??
Reply 137
Original post by Keiran:.
-2 hours sounds like a lot but i felt like i was against the time like never before

Overall i thought it went OK im not too confident but what can i do now. Traditionally grade boundaries are quite low and maybe that will work in all our favour! Good luck everyone.

Totally agree. I have no idea what happened to myself, I'm usually fine with time constraints. What is done, is done. Good luck.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 138
i did Lung Cancer :smile: hope that's right aha

also i did 5 minutes more than i should have done for the rivers section which meant i was so pushed for time for the rest of it!
Original post by tehforum
It means you have failed yourself.
In the textbook it says, study two areas of healthcare.

for population it says study two areas of healthcare? i don't think so! :angry:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending