The Student Room Group

Firmed a degree I don't want anymore!

I've been wandering around these forums for quite a time now, but I have only just decided to write my own post, so hi :smile:.

It's been on my mind for at least a few months now, and it's really taking up my time when I should be revising! I've firmed to do Architecture at Oxford Brookes in september with Brighton as an insurance, (both wanting same grades, pretty stupid move). However, for some unknown reason, I now LUST to study Japanese Language.

I've always held an interest in it since I was little but never saw it as a career path. I had taken Japanese GCSE and achieved a high A grade, but that is how far I got. I feel like I have been narrow-minded and naive, only thinking about a job which I assumed would satisfy money needs and happiness second. I realise now being happy is obviously more important.

The only worries holding me back are turning down the rare opportunity to do architecture, and re-applying next year for Japanese, where I take the risk of whether I get in or not again. Wouldn't I have to explain why I had a gap year?! Also, although I took Japanese at GCSE, I haven't taken any languages at A Level. Although it's not necessary I know it would put students ahead of others applying.

Basically, should I turn down my firm for Architecture and risk reapplying next year for Japanese?!

Sorry about the essay, I couldn't find another thread about this particular problem but if you have please let me know, thank you! :smile:
Reply 1
What can you do with Japanese?
Reply 2
Email both uni's and see if they can change your course?

Think about this properly though, its the next few years of your life ultimately and you can always pick up Japanese at a later stage of life.

All the best. :h:
Reply 3
Well, remember that you don't have to do Japanese at uni to study it.

I mean, I love ancient history, but it's a difficult course and the career prospects are limited. Instead, I can do something else I'm better at and get a good job. And with that money I can still buy books about ancient history and go to museums etc. I don't have to give it up.

Just because you're interested in something doesn't mean you have to devote your life to it. We can all have hobbies.

Not saying don't do it. If you've decided you hate architecture and have a burning passion to work in a field related to Japanese language, then by all means. But if you have a promising career planned out that you were happy enough to do, it seems rash to change if this is only a passing fancy(because remember, this is years out your life we're talking, and interests often come and go),

Just think about it. Don't act impulsively because you've suddenly found something new and exciting. Everytime I leaf through a prospectus I find some new fanscinating course and think "oh, I wish I was doing that instead!" It's natural. What you need to figure out if this is just one of those "ooh!" moments, or a legitimate realisation that you're doing the wrong thing. If you did architecture, would you be really miserable? Or is the grass just greener on the other side?

Good luck!
Reply 4
Thanks for all the replies :smile:!

Original post by Nayberay
Email both uni's and see if they can change your course?

Think about this properly though, its the next few years of your life ultimately and you can always pick up Japanese at a later stage of life.

All the best. :h:

I was thinking of doing this, Brighton doesn't offer it but Brookes does. However, there are unis ranked better for Japanese than Brookes, so I'd probably want to apply again.

Original post by melanie833
Well, remember that you don't have to do Japanese at uni to study it.

I mean, I love ancient history, but it's a difficult course and the career prospects are limited. Instead, I can do something else I'm better at and get a good job. And with that money I can still buy books about ancient history and go to museums etc. I don't have to give it up.

Just because you're interested in something doesn't mean you have to devote your life to it. We can all have hobbies.

Not saying don't do it. If you've decided you hate architecture and have a burning passion to work in a field related to Japanese language, then by all means. But if you have a promising career planned out that you were happy enough to do, it seems rash to change if this is only a passing fancy(because remember, this is years out your life we're talking, and interests often come and go),

Just think about it. Don't act impulsively because you've suddenly found something new and exciting. Everytime I leaf through a prospectus I find some new fanscinating course and think "oh, I wish I was doing that instead!" It's natural. What you need to figure out if this is just one of those "ooh!" moments, or a legitimate realisation that you're doing the wrong thing. If you did architecture, would you be really miserable? Or is the grass just greener on the other side?

Good luck!

I think this is what is holding me back as well. Trying to weigh up the best balance for money and being genuinely happy. Looking back applying for architecture was pretty much on impulse funnily enough. I was feeling the pressure to apply to uni and thought around summer that architecture would be a good choice :/ haha.

Thanks again, I just hope I've made a decision by summer!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending