The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
well well well
nice 2 hear from u all!
ur views r ALL valid n i hve taken a lot from them!

i jus wanna say thank u 2 evry1 once again EVEN poohbear LOL!
Reply 21
like Fluffy said, if youve got all the relevant work experience etc, you can try for a foundation degree
Reply 22
Tdevil
can i just add, medicine is only AAB because it is so god dam popular, its only actually a BCC course! they have to bump up the grades to cut out some of the people who want to do it. if your determind you will get there!

This really really pisses me off. Come and do my course and tell me you could do it with BCC. Really.

And just to keep Fluffy happy, I'm doing a whole year of Pharmacology extra :p:
Reply 23
Helenia
This really really pisses me off. Come and do my course and tell me you could do it with BCC. Really.

And just to keep Fluffy happy, I'm doing a whole year of Pharmacology extra :p:

Completely unrelated, my mate who is a genius dropt out of his civil engineering course at Bristol and he is reapplying. His offer was only ABB, i cant remember specifically, he says the course was tough. He did the work but didnt find the teaching style there satisfying thus he is reapplying for 2006 civil engineering and hoping to go to loughborough as another friend is in there with BBC, he finds it hard but the teaching is much better i.e. tutorials. The point i am trying to make is obviously you need to be intelligent but also hardworking. Civil engineering from what i have heard is as tough as medicine or nearly as tough. It has a lower grade boundary and none of the difficulties of medicine. Its popular but not that popular. If that makes any sense.
Reply 24
Beware of all theis 'AAB' 'BBC' *******s.

I got into my first degree (and my UCAS firm) uni with below their required grades. I came 3rd in my graduation year. Quite a few people who got onto the course with AAA didn't make it past the 1st year.

It's more about work ethic and how you cope than it is about the actual grades that you walked out of uni with. A-Levels to a degree are what GCSEs are to A-Levels - nothing....

Can you remember getting to A-Level and being told "what you learnt at GCSE was a simplification and not necessarily right, this is what you need to cite for A-Level". Well you'll get that again when you move to degree from A-Level. By the 2nd year of your degree, your A2s will mean nothing, and being a AAA student will not automatically get you a 1st at uni...
Reply 25
Fluffy

I got into my first degree (and my UCAS firm) uni with below their required grades. I came 3rd in my graduation year. Quite a few people who got onto the course with AAA didn't make it past the 1st year.

It's more about work ethic and how you cope than it is about the actual grades that you walked out of uni with. A-Levels to a degree are what GCSEs are to A-Levels - nothing....

Can you remember getting to A-Level and being told "what you learnt at GCSE was a simplification and not necessarily right, this is what you need to cite for A-Level". Well you'll get that again when you move to degree from A-Level. By the 2nd year of your degree, your A2s will mean nothing, and being a AAA student will not automatically get you a 1st at uni...

I think to a point it must have something to do with the person who achieved AAA - whether they were naturally intelligent and required little revision/study to achieve those grades, or a person of average intelligence who put in a lot of effort to achieve AAA (I think these people are refered to as 'book smart'?).

Of these two, who would you think would do better at university (assuming the naturally intelligent person doesn't begin putting in more effort).
Reply 26
Fluffy

I think I realise that, thanks. My point stands.
Reply 27
:marchmell aren't marshmellows fun? everyone loves a marshmellow.. :hugs:

anyhow - so medicine is more than merely academic - no argument there from anyone?
the courses do differ though & some are more so in focuss than others.
A2 grades are odd things - open to influence by quite a few things other than raw intelligence & work ethic - so obviously won't completely predict future performances...

& generalisations are in their nature not applicable in every circumstance. :smile:

but they do seem to be a minimum hoop to jump through for standard entry, whether you think they're easy/useless at predicting/irrelevant, but as ever - where there's a will, there's probably a way.. :wink:
Reply 28
Mortimer
thanx 2 every1 hu has replied

it has made me think (a bit) i am jus sooo confused

n as 4 the grammatical errors (so wot?) hu gives a damn? i ain't talkin 2 the queen or sumink so i don't hve 2 b all proper. n wen u bcom a Dr. u 4get how 2 write!!! :biggrin:

:smile: i mite do pschyology

thanx again1

You seem to be writing as though it's not you who will become the Doctor, rather me. :smile:
Psychologically, this sentence (highlighted in bold in your post) shows that you know you won't be a Doc.

As for the grammatical errors, in your post;

*thanks
*to x 3
*everyone
*who
*just
*and x 2
*for
*what
*who
*talking
*have
*be
*when
*you
*become x2
*forget
*might

Sure, one or two mistakes don't matter, but so many!? It does actually matter if you become a GP, you want to get the name of your medicine prescriptions right!
Reply 29
Helenia
I think I realise that, thanks. My point stands.

That wasn't aimed at you - it was aimed at the A-Level student who assumes that they know what sort of level of study a medical degree requires...
Reply 30
Fluffy
That wasn't aimed at you - it was aimed at the A-Level student who assumes that they know what sort of level of study a medical degree requires...

I don't understand why you hate students ...

I doubt you study medicine.
Reply 31
V.P. Keys

errrrrrrrrrrrrrr she's at Barts................ :confused:
V.P. Keys

Why is that comment suddenly anti-student? All she's saying is that someone doing A-levels wouldn't know about the level/difficulty of study in a medical degree (which is different for all individuals anyway).
Reply 33
V.P. Keys

It's called irony. I've been a student for a long time - I'm guessing probably almost as long as you've been breathing air :wink:

Anyway - gotta get back to my pile of revision - we have a 2nd year medicine exam on Friday. Odd for a fake medical student...

--------------

helenlicious
Why is that comment suddenly anti-student? All she's saying is that someone doing A-levels wouldn't know about the level/difficulty of study in a medical degree (which is different for all individuals anyway).

I have an ironic comment about hating students in my profile. It's been there for as long as I've been a TSR member - and prior to that UKL...

I'm afraid KP Keys doesn't get irony. Tragic huh - to be that anal and serious about everything. I bet he was the one who PMed Sarky re: her signature. Tempted to type that they guy is a tit, but I think doing so on an open access forum is cruel, so I wont. D'Oh!

He would make a perfect medical student... :wink:

--------------

V.P. Keys

Ahhh! I get it now - you're not another of Jamie's 1001 user ID's are you? The Dakota could give it away...
Reply 34
sorry i can just point out that i am not some A level student ii have a degree and i lived with a medic who incidently got BCD in her A levels i had a hell of a lot more work than her but shes doing just fine!. im not saying medicine is an easy degree not by a long shot but lots of people would become very good doctors who dont get in because of their a level grades! i understand they have to filter people out somehow but A levels arent everything to being a good dr, if you miss out on getting in because of your a lvel results then you canget in through other routes.
didnt mean to offend anyone just wanted to point out that medicine isnt all about acedemic stuff
Reply 35
Then you should know that A-Levels mean feck all.

And A-Levels aren't an absolute filter - hense graduate entry and widening access...

Although that said, over the next few years Graduate Entry is going to stop being the access point is was designed to be and become even more 'elitest' than school leaver entry, with a good degree and good A-Levels being the pre-requisit... Which is sad...
Reply 36
Elles
:marchmell aren't marshmellows fun? everyone loves a marshmellow.. :hugs:

anyhow - so medicine is more than merely academic - no argument there from anyone?
the courses do differ though & some are more so in focuss than others.
A2 grades are odd things - open to influence by quite a few things other than raw intelligence & work ethic - so obviously won't completely predict future performances...

& generalisations are in their nature not applicable in every circumstance. :smile:

but they do seem to be a minimum hoop to jump through for standard entry, whether you think they're easy/useless at predicting/irrelevant, but as ever - where there's a will, there's probably a way.. :wink:

I'm not doing medicine but I am doing physio which although is not quite on the scale as medicine is difficult and stressy in its own way...................I've been doing the common foundation programme at Georges with the 1st year medics this term and my opinion is that it is as always the minority that spoil it for the majority. I think most people know that medicine is way more than just academic potential.............you get out of a degree exactly what you put in..........people may achieve poor grades at a-level which doesn't necessary mean they would make a poor doctor, it just means they may have work at it slightly more than others. I got CCD at a-level and got a 1st class in my initial degree.................so a-lvel grades doesn't necessarily give a true representation of actual academic ability. My general impression of medical students is that most (99.9%) of them will continue to work hard once they get to uni and do well, whereas the other 0.1% of them will assume that because they've got 3A's and are at medical school they're gods gift to medicine. Most of this 0.1% may be straight A students but they also seem to have the actual intelligence and common sense of a gnat.................
Reply 37
I think we have a gnat level of closer to 10% :wink:
Reply 38
sorry i think we are arguing the same point here, that alevels mean nothing now a days they are just a means to an end, ie my original point stands valid (although i will admit probably a little exagerated) medicine is not anAAB suject?
Reply 39
Tdevil
sorry i think we are arguing the same point here, that alevels mean nothing now a days they are just a means to an end, ie my original point stands valid (although i will admit probably a little exagerated) medicine is not anAAB suject?

I guess that totally depends on where you study.

I actually think, having tutored at Oxford, that for traditional courses it might be an AAB kind of course. Other courses that give you as a student more control over how and when you learn might require less, as you don't have as many lectures etc. to keep on top of...

Who knows. Personally I have 'below current medicine par' A-Levels, but am not struggling. I might have found it harder when I was 18, but again, I think I would have coped...

Latest