The Student Room Group

Simple question - need help :(

I am re-sitting this test I done in January as I only just got an A and would like to have got a bit better, and as you can see below, i've forgot everything! Anyway, here it is;

Ok, this question is from this paper; http://eiewebvip.edexcel.org.uk/Reports/Confidential%20Documents/0506/6663_01_que_20050623.pdf

It's 3a.

x^2 8x 29 = (x + a)^2 + b

Find a and b.

It seems so simple yet i can't see how to do it, an explaination would be great.
Reply 1
Called completing the square:

x^2 + 2bx = (x + b)^2 - b^2
Reply 2
Still confused as that makes no sense or seems to have no relevance to my question :/ ?
Reply 3
Original post by vc94
Called completing the square:

x^2 + 2bx = (x + b)^2 - b^2

Apply this general result to x^2 - 8x
Reply 4
It does have relevance to your question. The method of finding your 'a' and 'b' values is called completing the square.
Reply 5
Original post by LiamRigby
Still confused as that makes no sense or seems to have no relevance to my question :/ ?

No it's very relevent. Answering that question is called completing the square.

x^2 + 2yx = (x + y)^2 - y^2
This the general rule you apply.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Completing_the_square
have you done completing the square?

like the person above said so

x^2 + 2bx - a = (x + b)^2 - b^2 - a

it works best when the coefficient of x is an even number so you can halve it easily, which it is with your question (-8x), remember that as it is a negative number you are halving you need to keep the negative number in the brackets.

If you expand the brackets afterwards just to see why it works you can see that you need to get rid of the extra b^2 by subtracting it, and don't forget to leave your value of a in there (-29).

Hope this helps :smile:
Do you know how to complete the square?

Spoiler

or you could just expand the bracket on the right-hand side and compare and contrast with the left-hand side
Reply 9
Ahhh, a lot has been explained and I now get it! ;D

However, if I went straight from this line:
x^2-8x-29 = (x-a)^2+b to...
(x-4)^2-16-29 = (x-a)^2+b

would I get marked down for not showing the formula? As I never actually used the formula, I used Supernova's way;
You halve the coefficient of X and then take away that squared, so (x-4)^2 -16 -29 = 0
(x-4)^2 -45

Quick Reply

Latest

No latest threads to show