The Student Room Group

A2 WJEC Business Studies.

(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Milky Milk
What was your favourite paper style? Mine would obviously be BS1 however I've done a few practice papers of BS4 and I really like it.. Even the essay questions as they're completely vague. :smile:

BS2 gotta be favourite as did the best in it haha :smile:

Stressing about BS4, however.. where you finding practice papers? Experiencing a severe lack of resources - only one past paper i think? :/
Reply 2
Yeah I couldnt stand BS3 either. Made pretty much no referenced to the case study and it was hard to find out what was actually relevant :/. Scraped a B but that was all i needed really :smile:

Tbf i'm finding those bits the easiest - depreciation, decision trees, investment appraisal etc, but did AS Maths with a stats module and that stuff comes quite naturally to me. Struggling alot more with the 100% theory questions that it's hard to tell how well you've done. Advantages and disadvantages just dont stick in my head so struggling on trade unions, minimum wage, etc.

You?
Reply 3
Haha as did I :five:

Me too, I prefer doing practical elements than theory based essays. Considering you have to learn more advantages and disadvantages than actual topics :rolleyes:
You're exactly like myself, that's the downfall to business - It's really theory based.
TRADE UNIONS... I don't think I know anything. Must revise that extensively.

What are you doing in uni? :smile:

Law at Warwick; Provided I get the grades :P

You?
Reply 4
Why are you putting yourself through business studies then?! :tongue:

Marketing at Lancaster (provided I too get the grades), more business unfortunately.
What grades do you need? I'm assuming high ones for Warwick?

Haha I have no idea :P Enjoyed it at GCSE and was considering doing Marketing at uni too when I started college so trying to keep options open I guess. Took it thinking it would be a doss compared to my other subjects but it actually turned out to be harder than all apart from maths :eek:

I was set on doing Law at Lancaster cuz id accepted I wasn't gonna get accepted at Warwick.Couldn't put it as insurance cuz was the same grades :/ Small world haha :wink: and yeah need AAA and C at AS; been a very stressful two years indeed but think i'll be ok :smile: you? What's your insurance?
Reply 5
Haha it's definately not a doss unfortunately :frown:
The only thing I hate is not knowing what may be on the exam!! Considering you have a tonne of information to learn (although I am sure that applies to most subjects :tongue:)

Aww no, you should have come to Lancs :redface: Although I'm assuming Warwick is far better for your course, it's even top for Business too.
WOW, good luck! Did you get all A's in your BS modules?
I need BBB fortunately! I found out the UMS marks needed to get a B overall in business and it was 68/100. That seems ridiculously easy yes, but it still gets me very worried. I'm not sure if finding out your UMS marks is a good thing or not.
My insurance is UCLan at BBC - I really don't want to go though :frown: yours?

Seems like we're the only TSR members who do this course :tongue:

Got 80 in BS1, 100 in BS2 and 73 in BS3, you? If not for the BS2 fluke i'd be far from an A :P but need 63 UMS I think. First year was weighted 60/40, right? Is this year? :s-smilie:.

Yeah I was really liking the look of Lancaster until my Warwick offer and was gonna be more than happy to go there. Back up is East Anglia which looks really nice to fair but does not have the employment opportunities of Warwick really so will be a bit gutted if i dont get in.

Just finished typing BS4 notes up if you care for a copy? And yeah I really wouldn't be surprised if we were :L
Reply 6
Why have I not seen this thread :O I always think i'm the only one who does WJEC business on here haha!
Reply 7
Is anyone doing it? How did you find BS3 in January and are you prepared for BS4?

I have to say they have a very weird style of putting together exams. BS1 and BS2 were similar in layout i.e. a small case study and usually two questions per question. However BS3 was completely different, that huuuuuge case study and essay questions. It was a big difference. And then you have BS4 which is a combination of the 3 as you have to use synoptic skills for a 20 mark essay question towards the end, but you also have similar styles questions as BS1/2 plus ALOT more time.

What was your favourite paper style? Mine would obviously be BS1 however I've done a few practice papers of BS4 and I really like it.. Even the essay questions as they're completely vague. :smile:

I don't suppose you could help me, got my bs4 on Monday but i'm struglling to get my head around what we need to know about absortion costing, my college only taught us to apportion total indirect costs based on the amound of direct costs each product has but text books seem to go into so much more detail, does the way I said sound famliar or even make sense becuase I just have no idea if I need to know more than just that :s-smilie:
Reply 8
WOW, those results are great. What you need for an A, I need for a B :tongue:
This year is weighted 50/50 from what I've been told.

Same here, I don't want to go to my insurance. We'll have to wait and see! I'm sure you'll do fine on BS4, you'll have to tell me how it goes for you. I'm going to be doing some serious cramming this weekend.. who knows if it'll be enough?!

Oooh I wouldn't mind actually :smile:
I realised however just the other day how I revise best... And that was 5 days before my last exam. :emo:

Yeah I'm gonna need some serious cramming this weekend too.. Hence i'm up so early :P. Coffee is my saviour atm; how can anyone go through exams without the aid of caffeine? :P

Notes attached (I think, wasn't entirely sure i'd done it right..). They're sorta a condensed version of earlier notes so some things i may have abbreviated or not covered in much detail. Don't know how helpful they'll be but think everything's there apart from minimum wage and supply/shortages of labour that I didn't type up. Enjoy and good luck for monday :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
My teachers spoke to the chief examiner and he said that we wont be asked to work out anything to do with absorption costing. You'll have to know what it is, how it works and benefits/limitations but you won't have to do all the apportion stuff. I was told this, and I'm sure my teachers wouldn't lie but I don't want you not looking through it just in case.

Do you get all of the other formula/working out based stuff? Decision Trees, Cost Benefit, Critical Path and Investment Appraisal? You'll definately need to know all of them!

Ahh i see thanks, well I'll just stick the basic stuff then that my teachers told me then and I should be fine :smile:.

And I do yee, slightly worried about what they might ask us with alot of calculations been on the exam last year as they're quite easy marks, but i've got a feeling we might get CPA and investment apprasial, maybe sales forecasting too but it's just a hunch!

Also just out of curiosity I noticed you said you did the specemin for a mock, on the question about payback do you know what you got for Project B becuase the markscheme says 3 years and 2.5 months but every time i try I get 2.4 months, all through business revision materials there's horrible roundings and it annoys me so much!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
Yeah we've already had Investment Appraisal, Cost Benefit and Decision Trees from both papers. So I think CPA will be next! I do hope Investment Appraisal comes up, it's a bit of a sinch! Sales Forecasting isn't really a finance related question is it? Is it? :confused: I don't like that...

It's definately 2.4 months, I'm sure my teacher said something about it being wrong... I don't know for sure however. Although in one of my other subjects the mark scheme for the specimen paper was completely off, It might just be something like that. I've worked it out twice before and it's 2.4 also :curious:

I do have to admit though, that BS4 Finance is SO much easier than BS2 finance! :redface:

I'm really hoping that CPA will be on, nice easy marks, and fingers crossed for investment appraisal. And you're right sales forecasting is marketing isn't it :s-smilie:, but they might ask us to calculate a moving averages but that wouldn't be to bad!

I knew it was! My teacher telling me I've made a rounding error pfft! I dont mind BS2 finance just never enough of it haha, like on the bs2 resit last month, don't know if you did but it literally had 3 marks on P+L accounts and that was all -.-
Reply 11
CPA is a good one! Fingers crossed for them both although I'm sure we'd just get one :emo:

Did you do the resit in January? or the resit which is the current AS's real BS2 paper?
I've forgotten everything about P+L accounts!

I'm gutted elasticity was on last year aswell cause I'm quite good at that :frown:

And I've done both resits lol, the marker refuses to let me go above a C grade :mad:
Reply 12
I'm not! I barely understand PED/YED :redface:

I know right!?! I did the January resit, thought I'd absolutely aced it and came out with a C. The previous score was an E, which was completely uncalled for... I wasn't that bad :ninja:
I think it's because it's out of such a high amount of marks?

Ahh well you're lucky it was on last time then :biggrin: I'm praying we won't get a question on marketing plans because I hate that topic area, just don't know what to talk about:confused:

Exactly the same to! I thought I'd done really good writing tons for each question using analysis and everything and I got one mark less than when I first sat it! You must be happy you went up to a C then :smile: it's just really hard to tell in this exam if you've don't enough or not, I'd rather do my maths exams any day :colondollar:
My teachers spoke to the chief examiner and he said that we wont be asked to work out anything to do with absorption costing. You'll have to know what it is, how it works and benefits/limitations but you won't have to do all the apportion stuff. I was told this, and I'm sure my teachers wouldn't lie but I don't want you not looking through it just in case.

Do you get all of the other formula/working out based stuff? Decision Trees, Cost Benefit, Critical Path and Investment Appraisal? You'll definately need to know all of them!

How sure are you that nothing on costing will come up? I barely understand it argh
How much detail have you guys revised the HR stuff? I'm kinda stuck on how much you need to know!
Reply 15
Aww we'll be free from 3pm tomorrow :biggrin: (Hoping that we pass and won't have to re-do the year... :confused:).. But that won't happen... *get's more worried than before...*

I'm sure we wont have re-do the year :smile: it can only be a similar layout to the previous two so if you can perfect the problem solving type questions should be fine :biggrin: my revision is complete I think but i still wouldnt be able to give the ads and disads of the majority of things, oh well! Good luck for tomorrow!
Reply 16
How did everyone find it?? I thought it weren't to bad although I included the fixed costs in contribution which I could kill myself for but the rest was ok! What 20 marker did you choose?
Reply 17
Good Luck Everyone!! :biggrin:

How'd you find it :smile:??
Reply 18
What was the contribution?
I think I messed that up :/
Reply 19
Original post by luke-1234
What was the contribution?
I think I messed that up :/

I got -£6000 lmao I think it was £10000 if I do it right now :cry: