The Student Room Group

edexcel unit 1 geography as exam 17th may 2011

hey guys i did the exam today and i cant stop thinking that i failed... did anyone do question 9 for the long answer questions and if so what did u talk about.. the question was somethin like.. why would some people benefit from TNC's and y some wont and b was like why has globalisation accelerated.:confused:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeah I did that question too! I thought it seemed like the most straightforward and I was running out of time.

I didn't do the essays to a good standard, so I'm a little worried about that. I'm praying section A will bring my mark up to an A.....

Also do you not feel like at least two thirds of what you revised, you didn't use?! Like all the facts and figures!
Reply 2
I didn't think you could talk about the content of exams until 24 hrs after it, or is that only certain exam boards that are international?

I found many of the questions quite challenging and struggled to remember the case study i needed for the coastal question :s my other optional unit was health which was pips but one of the questions used a word noone in my class had heard before so a couple of us managed to guess what it meant and hopefully wrote the right kinda things and others got home, googled the word and found they'd wrote it completely wrong and will probably get 0 marks for that huge question!

EDIT ; I ain't half glad my maths teacher yesterday morning let me revise geography though, I managed to nail something that came up in one of the 15 mark questions which I wouldnt have got many marks for if I hadnt of looked over it again that morning.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Nix-j-c
I didn't think you could talk about the content of exams until 24 hrs after it, or is that only certain exam boards that are international?

You can after midnight for edexcel morning exams :smile: Were you doing A2 btw?

I found it a mixed paper as well. i did question 9, which I think went okayish but i was reushing so I'm not sure if it made any sense :P

I found the questions about the artic quite har.The one about ireversibility and also about why the temp. change will increase even if we cut emissions. I thought it seemed like quite a bitty paper in lots of ways. Ah well, always got unit 2 to pull things up :smile:
Original post by confused933
hey guys i did the exam today and i cant stop thinking that i failed... did anyone do question 9 for the long answer questions and if so what did u talk about.. the question was somethin like.. why would some people benefit from TNC's and y some wont and b was like why has globalisation accelerated.:confused:

i did that question! for a) i tried to just put the adv and disadv into some sort of decent answer. benefits the countries economy due to foreign direct investment, but not always as HQs are in the origin country. provides people with jobs, but doesnt benefit due to exploitation of labour as TNCs subcontract to third parties making regulating working conditions difficult bla bla bla.

for the acceleration thing i just talked about communications, new markets, international organisations and the role of TNCs, a paragraph more than what i did for a), don't think i got more than 11/15 :s-smilie:

ran out of time though, jumped straight to the section b and went back to finish the last human questions in a rush.
Reply 5
wow I did Q9 as well, it seems like it was pretty popular. I think I did part a alright, lots to write about with pros and cons of TNCs. part b wasn't so good, I just rambled on about TNCs, new markets, free trade, international organisations etc but hardly used any case studies :frown:
aside from that section A wasn't too bad so hopefully it turns out ok...
Reply 6
yeah i did question 9!

i thought it was quite hard, but easier than the others... i had been hoping for a question on earthwqukes so i could talk about the philippines... i guess not!

i used case study examples of Nike, McDonalds, andEasyJet for both sections.....

for section B, i talked about things like, the internet, telephone, supertanking and satalites, and how its helped create a global village?

not really too sure, hopefully i did alright! D:
Reply 7
I did question 8, ran outta time and things to say. I was tempted to do question 9!

When can we view the paper online ??
Reply 8
Original post by slucuz
I did question 8, ran outta time and things to say. I was tempted to do question 9!

When can we view the paper online ??

I don't think that the papers will be online anytime soon, edexel are a bit strict about past papers :confused:

I found the paper a bit hard too, did anyone do question 10? I don't know if I wrote about the right points...
Revised so many facts and figures which I forgot to use! :mad:
I did question 10, it was so easy :biggrin:

I looked at question 7 and saw the words "EL Nino" and immedeately ignored it lol.
Reply 10
Original post by jakeisthebest

what did you write about? :/
Reply 11
anyone else worried about unit 2 ? or just me lol:colondollar:
Reply 12
Original post by Angelicus
You can after midnight for edexcel morning exams :smile: Were you doing A2 btw?

QUOTE]

no AS . . .
Reply 13
Is it just me or was anyone stupid enough to think "hey I'll do the hazards essay questions, they're always easy" and then flop.

Question 7 about challenges of El Nino and then human and economic costs increases. What did people write for these? No one I know did this question and I need some support.

I just hope I got less than 10 marks wrong overall, I really want 100 UMS. Though the second paper always screws me.
Reply 14
Original post by Nix-j-c

no AS . . .

Are you doing AQA? If so you managed to find the only discussion that isn't AQA but Edexcel.
Reply 15
Unit one is over!!

Tips for unit 2 people ????
Reply 16
just know your case studys and keep talking about it and make sure u use some facts and figs and you will be fine
I looked at question 7 and saw the words "EL Nino" and immedeately ignored it lol.

Haha i did exactly the same!
i did question 9 too, i thought it looked the most straight forward.
i think i did pretty well on the essay questions but i think i have made a load of stupid mistakes on section A :/.
also didnt like the migration question, think it was number six?

paper 2 is horrible, have so much to learn :frown:
Reply 19

Heyyyy
I did question 10.
I wrote about poland migration to the uk as well as former british colonies?????

Wbu????

xoxoxox

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending