The Student Room Group

ocr MEI NM exam 18/05/11

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by cannont
yeh i used the best estimate as the middle value, i got 5 iterations including the starting value, but i stated this, not sure if the starting value is an iteration or not?,

when working out the quadratic to the last question did anyone get like ... -1.25 and 33 point somthing and then when doing the cubic got -3 point somthing and 17 point somthing? Because i wasn't sure about the -3 because the values either side were 1 and -1 so -3 seemed unlikely however i quickley sketched a cubic and it did seem reasonable and i checked it and seemed right? Anyone got thoughts?

i wrote 5 iterations including the first one which means 4 "more" iterations. Is that right?
Reply 21
Original post by MHRed
I'm not feeling great. I'm hoping for a decent B, and that I'll be able to drag it up with FP1 and D1.
I got -1.25 for f(2) and like 33 for f(8) on the initial bit, for whoever said that.

Linear interpolation went straight over my head, so I just guessed.
Anyone get 8.3 recurring for the the last part of 3.

Also, how does the derivative show whether or not it diverges?! God damn not having a proper teacher! :frown:

If |f'(x)| < 1 then there will be convergence

Otherwise, for fixed point iteration, there will be divergence.

So all you had to do was write that f'(x) was -4x^3 and then show that for any points in the interval [0.7,0.8] the f'(x) < -1

For Q.7 I got integer answers. Most of my answers came out quite nicely and, as it was my first ever NM paper, I'm not sure whether that is a good thing or not...

Hopefully I got a B as beforehand I was worried I would flunk completely and end up with a D or even an E.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by Mazzarat
If |f'(x)| < 1 then there will be convergence

Otherwise, for fixed point iteration, there will be divergence.

So all you had to do was write that f'(x) was -4x^3 and then show that for any points in the interval [0.7,0.8] the f'(x) < -1

i did the derivative of the rearrnagement when you put all the x's on one side and make it equal to 0 so i came out with like 1 +4x^3 or something (cant remember the signs)

would that be okay? or did you have to leaver it x = x^4???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending